Changed your mind

The Fresh PtwP

Have any theories or opinions that have been changed over the years? Maybe a good argument turned you, or a reread altered your view.

I used to think a RW 2.0 was crazy, I thought the Riverlands were too ravished, the BWB too small, the Freys and Lannisters too many. On a reread and with some good posts about Riverland troop displacement I can totally see it happening now.

Likewise, long ago when I first joined the forums I thought Stannis would lose the battle at Winterfell. 

Spoiler

This was way before the show did it...although that episode now brings back...doubts.

I utterly missed the Northern politics, and that Stannis might actually have a gameplan.

Any theories or views that have swayed you? Any beliefs that don't seem as strong? Share them. Right here.

I use to think it was a no brainer Dany and Jon would end up on the throne together. Now I have no idea if either of them will, or if the IT will even exist.

Thought aegon was absolutely real and didn't even question his true parentage. (Still not 100% sold he's not)

Thought Brans chapters were boring and didn't give much info. Still slow at times, but the kid is obviously super important to the plot. 

Oh, and I never realized just how central illyrio is to the story until my 2nd or 3rd reread. I thought of him more as Varys's creature than the other way around. 

When I first heard an Aegon = Blackfyre theory I thought it was too convoluted and I didn't really know how the Blackfyres fit into the story.

The Brightfyre theory was so well put together and laid out so many points that a lot of things clicked into place. It helped that after reading Dunk & Egg and the World book that I can see how it fits together now.

Well, I still think the fAegon thing is dumb, but I'm willing to concede that it's probably true.

And I just changed my mind on the plausibility of Tyrion's pie having been poisoned - although I'm still not sold on that one.

Personally, I tend to wear these theories pretty lightly. They're all fun to consider and debate, but who the fuck knows? Only GRRM, and maybe not even then.

I don't have theories as such but I got bunches of :idea:to banter about.

It took awhile but someone finally convinced me Joffrey not Cersei sent the man to kill Bran.

12 hours ago, The Fresh PtwP said:

or a reread altered your view.

Each reread changed my mind about the story and events. Plus when I use to lurk and read the threads posters would bring up stuff I had skimmed through. I :love: that search site, makes it so much easier for me.

I don't remember to have changed my mind about a theory but I have changed my mind about some characters. Like Sansa, I disliked Sansa at the beginning now I like her, at the beginning I thought that Arya was a mad person now I think that she is wounded but not mad. Also now I love Vic.

I didn't get onto the forums until I finished reading the books, and I read them in a binge so I missed a lot of information that led to theories being created.  My whole knowledge of the series and looking at things deeper was changed by the forums and it has made my second read much more enjoyable.

9 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I finally came around to the idea that Illyrio intended for the assassination attempt to compel Drogo into invading Westeros early. 

Yup everyone has to keep constantly changing their plans. Helps show us the pawns from the players.

I've changed my opinion on many things, like R+L=J, Joanna's relation with Aerys, succession matters in Westeros and for a time I was looking at House Arryn as my favorite House, but the lack of Arryns to read about and love made it impossible. There's a similar problem with House Baratheon, even if not nearly as large, while there are many, many interesting Lannisters to read about.

That's what I can think about right now anyway.

Until I read  Mel's pov in DWD I thought that she was using her faith in order to manipulate Stannis.

And of course my view on Joanna and Aerys and their relationship changed when I read WOIAF.

Also for a while I thought that the Shrouded Lord was Gerion Lannister.....

On 2017-02-10 at 6:22 AM, The Fresh PtwP said:

Have any theories or opinions that have been changed over the years? Maybe a good argument turned you, or a reread altered your view.

I used to think a RW 2.0 was crazy, I thought the Riverlands were too ravished, the BWB too small, the Freys and Lannisters too many. On a reread and with some good posts about Riverland troop displacement I can totally see it happening now.

Likewise, long ago when I first joined the forums I thought Stannis would lose the battle at Winterfell. 

Hide contents

This was way before the show did it...although that episode now brings back...doubts.

I utterly missed the Northern politics, and that Stannis might actually have a gameplan.

Any theories or views that have swayed you? Any beliefs that don't seem as strong? Share them. Right here.

I used to believe in the R+L=J theory.

I have changed my mind and subscribe to The Order of the Green Hand's theory that Eddard and Ashara are Jon Snow's parents and that Rhaegar and Lyanna are Aegon's parents. Part of this theory is that septa lemore is Ashara Dayne, Qhorin=Oswell, Tormund=Georld Hightower and Arthur Dayne=Mance Rayder. 

I also believe that the Order of the Green Hand is a secret order created by Garth Greenhand to protect the humans against the children of the forest.

For a long time I thought AFFC and ADWD were not up to par with the first three but now that I'm rereading them and going slow (i totally skimmed through them the first time!) I'm really liking it. They're totally on par with the first three if not better. Watching Cersei, Jon, and Daenerys deal with their new position of power is such a powerful theme. And an interesting one. And the slowness of it all is so refreshing after the fast pace, action packed ASOS. My only complaint is that the two big battles were not shown making it feel anticlimactic, but that's not George's fault, that's just the restriction of making a novel. I'm almost positive now that when WOW comes out and these stories get a proper conclusion, we'll all feel differently about AFFC and ADWD.

EDITED: Other complaint would obviously be that that they were split by region and POV as oppose to timeline and chronology and split in half, making the whole thing feel awkward as we start to miss other characters.

I always thought Hizdar was the Harpy, until I read spirited back-and-forth discussions on here.  Now I'm pretty sure it's the Green Grace, who operates in a manner similar to Varys.  She gives people morsels of truth to gain their trust, and plans events that work in her (as The Harpy) favor, while timing/framing these events to create confusion and make others seem culpable.

Now I just think Hizdar is a doofy, entitled rich guy who Dany gives too much credit.  She fucked up sending Jorah away, because (when he wasn't wanting to bone her) the only player of the long game, who understood these politics.

Archived