The stubborness

The Fresh PtwP

The exact opposite of my last thread: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/145082-changed-your-mind/

This is for the beliefs you doggedly hold on to, people's arguments seem shallow, convoluted, and do not sway you. Perhaps when discussing you plug your ears and go "lalalalala!" very loudly. Maybe you think if George were to do what others have theorized you think it'd be bad writing or not fitting with a character's arc or narrative. Either way this is the place to cling to those beliefs and share them!

My personal one can be summed up in one word: RhAegon. I know of the Blackfyre/Brightfyre/Pisswater theories they don't move me. I'm even open to the idea that they might be true but as of yet I am unconvinced.

I rather stubbornly believe that R+L=J is not true.

The books are filled with mystery and things are never really clear until they happen and you only realise it when you reread it or read it from someone who realised it when they reread it.

Honestly, think about it:

Rhaegar crowning Lyanna Queen of Love and Beauty, Lyanna kidnapped by Rhaegar, Robert believing that Lyanna was repeatedly raped by Rhaegar and some believe that Rhaegar loved Lyanna and she him, Lyanna in a bed of blood, Eddard, who is known to be notoriously honorable, showing up with a little baby boy and claims that he is his bastard, but refuses to name or even mention his mother.

You don't have to be a genius to immediately see the possibility that R+L=J, but it is the "right-in-your-face" thing about it that makes me believe that it is not true. Nothing in this series is ever right in your face, but for some reason, GRRM has written the scenery so that Jon's possible true parentage is, which is just not his style.

(Plus, hasn't GRRM said that there is no "hidden prince" anywhere? Because if so, Jon would qualify as a "hidden prince" by being Rhaegar's bastard or trueborn son, if you believe the people who say that Rhaegar took Lyanna to be his second wife.)

I am however open to Lyanna being Jon's mother, but there is no way that Rhaegar is Jon's father.

56 minutes ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

Well, I keep clinging to the idea that Joffrey wasn't poisoned, despite all the evidence against it and the holes in the theory.

Also, I have this crazy theory that, despite all the evidence, TWOW and ADOS will actually get finished LOL FIRST

That he just choked on some food? Interesting.

42 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

To me the first that come to mind are Ramsay didn't write the PL, Theon Durden, and R+L=/= J

I think Ramsay did, but yeah there are numerous people who it could be I'm obviously not 100% Who do you think Jon's parents are?

20 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

I cling the theory that LC Jon Snow is wounded not dead and that Thorne is somehow involved in the attempt on Jon's life.

No one can convince me Jojen paste or Theon Durden is true. :commie:

I believe in both those theories, but that's the kind of dedication I'm looking for lol.

I am convinced that Lysa Arryn did not kill Jon Arryn.  The only reason to think that is true is her confession.  But she was mad by that point.  Also, Littlefinger outright tells Sansa that she can convince herself that something is true just by repeating the lie to herself over and over again. 

Littlefinger convinced Lysa that she killed Jon in order to make it look like he had orchestrated everything.  But he hadn't.  There was no way for him to know that Jon Arryn's death would have the consequences it had (Ned coming south, etc.).  He is just taking credit after the fact to make himself look more important to Lysa.

I just can't believe the story weve been told about rhaegar. Part of this is him abducting Lyanna, which I would guess most people agree with me in thinking he did not do so against her will.

But more so than that I just can't believe the end of rhaegar a story is dying in battle to Robert. I get that selmy says all it takes is one slip and anyone can lose, but I think this is a misdirection (misdirection is probably the wrong word to use). I think rhaegar would have defeated robert in battle, but more so I believe that rhaegars story is incomplete as its been told to us so far. There has to be more! In my eyes he's one of only three heroes in the book who has done everything right and is beyond reproach. These three are Rhaegar, Mance, and JS. They are the only true rulers

7 hours ago, The Fresh PtwP said:

The exact opposite of my last thread: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/145082-changed-your-mind/

This is for the beliefs you doggedly hold on to, people's arguments seem shallow, convoluted, and do not sway you. Perhaps when discussing you plug your ears and go "lalalalala!" very loudly. Maybe you think if George were to do what others have theorized you think it'd be bad writing or not fitting with a character's arc or narrative. Either way this is the place to cling to those beliefs and share them!

My personal one can be summed up in one word: RhAegon. I know of the Blackfyre/Brightfyre/Pisswater theories they don't move me. I'm even open to the idea that they might be true but as of yet I am unconvinced.

Ha! fAegon. It astounds me that seemingly smart folks like yourself and others whose opinions and insight I respect fail to grasp what I see so clearly. It is a great lesson in appreciating that smart people can reach different conclusions based on the same evidence. 

3 hours ago, The Fresh PtwP said:

That he just choked on some food? Interesting.

I think Ramsay did, but yeah there are numerous people who it could be I'm obviously not 100% Who do you think Jon's parents are?

I believe in both those theories, but that's the kind of dedication I'm looking for lol.

I think I didn't make myself clear... that's what you get for hurriedly typing on a device while you should be working! :P

Let me try again... I believe Ramsay wrote the PL, and even though I've read a few very interesting theories proposing other authors, I remain unconvinced. To me it was Ramsay, end of story. 

Theon Durden is another theory I cannot get behind, and again, I've read theories about it that were very well put together. But again, I remain unconvinced.

And lastly, I don't buy into any theory that proposes anything/anyone other than Rhaegar and Lyanna as Jon's parents. :)

And I'm with @Clegane'sPup, imo Jon is wounded not dead and I don't believe in Jojen paste. 

Oddly I can't really think of anything other than I don't like R+L=J. I'm normally extremely stubborn about most things but I have changed my mind on many theories etc. The ones I haven't changed my mind on I just haven't seen something compelling enough to change my mind on.

A common belief I wholeheartedly disagree with is the Wall.

I adamantly believe the Wall will NOT fall. 

I won't believe otherwise unless I read of the Wall falling on paper in a book that says it was written by George RR Martin.

The Wall will NOT fall.  

Relatedly, though I have postulated that somehow Theon will be turned into an Other by BR, My stronger belief is that the Others in general are not a threat to Westeros.  Because the Wall will NOT fall. Spring will arrive with the Others still safely on the other side.  I full expect all kinds of other crazy stuff will go down, though.

2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I think I didn't make myself clear... that's what you get for hurriedly typing on a device while you should be working! :P

Let me try again... I believe Ramsay wrote the PL, and even though I've read a few very interesting theories proposing other authors, I remain unconvinced. To me it was Ramsay, end of story. 

Theon Durden is another theory I cannot get behind, and again, I've read theories about it that were very well put together. But again, I remain unconvinced.

And lastly, I don't buy into any theory that proposes anything/anyone other than Rhaegar and Lyanna as Jon's parents. :)

And I'm with @Clegane'sPup, imo Jon is wounded not dead and I don't believe in Jojen paste. 

Gotcha, now I get it.

I actually guessed that my RhAegon statement would bring out @Lost Melnibonean "The Blackfyre". Your points are very well thought out and were the closest to changing my views.

I just thought up another popular one, I do not think Jon will sit the IT and nothing anyone says will sway me until I read "and then Jon climbed the steps and sat on the Iron Throne." 

Archived