Fox TV agrees to consider a FIREFLY reboot

Werthead

Fox TV is willing to do a FIREFLY reboot.

The only caveat is that Fox will only do it if Joss Whedon is involved, and they think he'll be too busy with movies. However, I'm not sure that's the case, given his break-up with Marvel.

The other important thing is that previously Whedon had said it was unlikely he'd consider a reboot as too many castmembers were on other shows, but right now only Morena Baccarin and Gina Torres have full-time roles on other shows (GOTHAM and SUITS respectively). A full 20-episode season would therefore be out, but a mini-series should certainly be doable.

The only question is if Whedon would be up for it. He's more recently said that resuming the story 12+ years after the events of SERENITY would be difficult and he'd be worried about damaging the reputation of something that is so beloved. On the other hand, if he came up with an idea to make it work, that'd be worth a look.

8 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Wash.  :crying:

Why are we crying about Wash?  Ron Glass played Shepard Book.  Alan Tudyk is doing quite well for himself recently with his Rogue One appearance. 

Are you talking about the movie?  Because Whedon himself said that if the show ever comes back, Wash will be coming back too. 

3 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Why are we crying about Wash?  Ron Glass played Shepard Book.  Alan Tudyk is doing quite well for himself recently with his Rogue One appearance. 

Are you talking about the movie?  Because Whedon himself said that if the show ever comes back, Wash will be coming back too. 

Well... I didn't know that last part.  Yes, I took Wash's death inordinately hard.  :lol: 

13 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Huh did he ever indicate how that would work?

6 minutes ago, Relic said:

Does anyone actually think this is a good idea? With all the terrible remakes and reboots isn't it just better to let this lay in peace? 

Well firstly we've had some awesome TV and film from remakes and reboots too and secondly this would be with the same creator and probably the same cast and may only be a reboot in the sense of de-canonising the movie, although they might have to do some on-the-fly retcons to account for the time gap because there's really no pretending that everyone's the same age and stuff.

I mean, it's not without risk, and the time for Firefly may have passed in any case, but I wouldn't dismiss the idea entirely.

Just now, polishgenius said:

Well firstly we've had some awesome TV and film from remakes and reboots too 

Can you name 5 awesome TV reboots? I'm struggling to think of any. 

edit - guess the first half of BSG count, but the show went to shit after that, a few episodes excluded. 

3 minutes ago, Relic said:

Can you name 5 awesome TV reboots? I'm struggling to think of any. 

edit - guess the first half of BSG count, but the show went to shit after that, a few episodes excluded. 

BSG is one (it got worse in the second half, but I think 'went to shit' is an exaggeration). Veep is one, as far as I saw it (it wasn't quite as good as The Thick of It, and I haven't kept up, but it's still worthy). I haven't seen them, but House of Cards and The Office are mega-successes. Doctor Who is a phenomenon.

Just now, polishgenius said:

BSG is one (it got worse in the second half, but I think 'went to shit' is an exaggeration). Veep is one, as far as I saw it (it wasn't quite as good as The Thick of It, and I haven't kept up, but it's still worthy). I haven't seen them, but House of Cards and The Office are mega-successes. Doctor Who is a phenomenon.

Pretty thin list, really. Didn't know Veep was a reboot of anything. The Office is a good one, and obviously lots of people love Dr Who.

How many abysmal failures can we name?

And yeah, BSG is a matter of taste i suppose. And IMHO it was total trash after S3E4, once it became apparent the show runners had no idea WTF the Cylon's so called plan was.  

VEEP is a re-conceptualisation of the UK show The Thick of It and the hybrid movie In the Loop, only not quite as good or hardcore (although it's still pretty strong) and lacking the best character.

House of Cards isn't remotely as good as the original show (especially after the first season when it seemed to turn into a sitcom), but it's been successful.

However, this will almost certainly be a reboot in terms of the same show picking up years later. The comparisons are more Doctor WhoThe X-FilesArrested DevelopmentRed Dwarf and Gilmore Girls, some of which were more successful than others.

I really hope they don't discount Serenity just to bring back Wash. That'd be dumb as the movie was pretty good and introduced a lot of people to the franchise. I also think the movie leaves things in a more interesting place to be picked up 13 years later than Season 1 by itself.

6 minutes ago, Relic said:

How many abysmal failures can we name?

Probably a lot more (although it's a thin list coz I gave you five since you asked for five - see Wert's post there for a couple more- and I didn't count tv shows that are reboots/adaptations of films, like Hannibal which is amazing and Fargo which is reputed to be amazing and Westworld which is mostly amazing and Sarah Connor Chronicles which I haven't seen the whole of but got a lot of love and Lemony Snicket which I haven't seen yet but is also getting a lot of love) but then there's still probably more rubbish tv shows than really good ones anyway, even after the recent prestige explosion. And most of the crap reboots are made by-the-numbers by studios trying to cash in on an old popular thing without any love or actual idea for the restart. That wouldn't be the case for a Whedon-led Firefly.

6 minutes ago, Leap said:

I'm sure I read that bringing back Wash would be a matter of science fiction mumbo jumbo rather than continuity changes, but I might be making that up. I too enjoyed the film, so I'd be sad to see it go. I think the reboot is unlikely to go ahead anyway.

Alan Tudyk could come back as a Wash Sexbot that River made for Zoe to try and cheer her up.

21 minutes ago, Leap said:

I'm sure I read that bringing back Wash would be a matter of science fiction mumbo jumbo rather than continuity changes, but I might be making that up. I too enjoyed the film, so I'd be sad to see it go. I think the reboot is unlikely to go ahead anyway.

I hadn't read that, and I'll admit that I don't have a source on making the movie non-canon, that was just my speculating on how Whedon would achieve the resurrection of Wash.  A sci-fi cure saving Wash would be easier since they presumably would let Book stay dead.

Archived