Most cowardly deed in ASOIAF.

Jon's Queen Consort

An easy question, which deed in ASOIAF you would say that is the most cowardly?

For me is Rhaegar’s actions after ToHH; he eloped with Lyanna and proved how coward he was by hiding in the middle of nowhere for a year having coitus while a war, he had helped to started, was ranging all across Westeros and thousands people were killed because of his actions or as even Barri the moral coward said

Prince Rhaegar loved his Lady Lyanna and thousands died for it.

I think that is more stupidity or some other obsession with prophecy rather than cowardice, he did fight Robert 1vs1, takes guts.

Probably Joffrey not fighting to defend his kingdom/having his kingsguard beat Sansa.

Aerion Brightflame turning his accusation against Dunk into a trial by 7 also ranks up there.  Along with the greens taking the throne in such an underhanded way.

Jon's betrayal of his night's watch vows are the most cowardly to me.  He's not the only one at the wall with a loved one left behind.  If the other boys can make the sacrifice for duty so should the lord commander.  Jon took the coward's way out and betrayed the purpose of the night's watch to save fake Arya.  His act will destroy the night watch and make it easy for the white walkers to pass through.  

I vote for Walder Frey (the oldest one)'s mass slaughter at the red wedding, under cover of "guest right" and a marriage. Walder may - or may not - have had an issue with Robb, although he renegotiated the agreement publicly and pronounced himself "satisfied". But the extra 12,000 or so men he killed, via the vilest entrapment, was cowardly and criminal.

11 minutes ago, zandru said:

I vote for Walder Frey (the oldest one)'s mass slaughter at the red wedding, under cover of "guest right" and a marriage. Walder may - or may not - have had an issue with Robb, although he renegotiated the agreement publicly and pronounced himself "satisfied". But the extra 12,000 or so men he killed, via the vilest entrapment, was cowardly and criminal.

I don't agree with that. Someone could say that it was evil sure but by doing this Walder was making his family one of the worst families in Westeros hence they were a fair game for the others to attack them. Therefore by conspiring Walder was doing something terribly dangerous, maybe evil but also brave.

1 minute ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

I don't agree with that. Someone could say that it was evil sure but by doing this Walder was making his family one of the worst families in Westeros. Hence they were a fair game for the others to attack them. Therefore by conspiring Walder was doing something terribly dangerous, maybe evil but also brave.

Not really. Most people didn't like them before, and look at the position they'd be in. They'd be by far the most powerful house in the Riverlands, with Lannister backing etc. So they were to be set up for life.

The problem was it was shortsighted. The Lannister never gave a damn about the Freys beyond their being instrumental to Tywin's cowardly plan. After the Red Wedding the Freys' only purpose as far as the Lannisters are concerned is to serve as a scapegoat for it. They'd leave the Freys to rot if they were somehow besieged.

Then the BWB is hanging Freys right and left, and if Walder dies of old age and Black Walder and his brother kill each other, the main branch is dead and the rest of the Freys will mostly kill each other to determine who takes over.

Personally I hope Walder Frey is the very last Frey tk die, as everything he did was for his line.

2 minutes ago, Praetor Xyn said:

Not really. Most people didn't like them before, and look at the position they'd be in.

True. However from not liking them to conspiring in order to killing them is quite different. Before RW the Freys were just parvenu who were looked down by the others, after RW they were one of the worst houses in Westeros. It's quite different.

3 minutes ago, Praetor Xyn said:

the main branch is dead

The main branch is all of Walder descendants. That would had been quite difficult.

I don't hate Freys for killing Robb, he betrayed them and they were right to take their revenge. I blame them for killing his men. Walder should had killed Robb and left the rest of them for Tywin.

1 hour ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

An easy question, which deed in ASOIAF you would say that is the most cowardice?

For me is Rhaegar’s actions after ToHH; he eloped with Lyanna and proved how coward he was by hiding in the middle of nowhere for a year having coitus while a war, he had helped to started, was ranging all across Westeros and thousands people were killed because of his actions or as even Barri the moral coward said

I don't want to be a dick, but cowardice is a noun. Cowardly is the word you want. It is an adjective. You are describing a noun (deed) in the OP. You can't use another noun to do so. So it should read most 'cowardly deed.' A way of asking the question using the noun cowardice would be, 'who shows the most cowardice,' (although this sounds a bit odd). What you have done is like saying 'most bravery act,' or most 'virtue thought.'

I only bring this up because your English seems ok in all other respects, and I am a bit perplexed you are getting this wrong. I have total respect for the fact that English is not your first language, and I admire your skill in your second/third language (whatever this is) but unless this is pointed out you will keep making the mistake.

4 minutes ago, Chaircat Meow said:

I don't want to be a dick, but cowardice is a noun. Cowardly is the word you want. It is an adjective. You are describing a noun (deed) in the OP. You can't use another noun to do so. So it should read most 'cowardly deed.' A way of asking the question using the noun cowardice would be, 'who shows the most cowardice,' (although this sounds a bit odd).

I only bring this up because your English seems ok in all other respects, and I am a bit perplexed you are getting this wrong. I have total respect for the fact that English is not your first language, and I admire your skill in your second/third language (whatever this is) but unless this is pointed out you will keep making the mistake.

Thank you for that! I wish that now is fixed. Let me know if now is better.

5 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Thank you for that! I wish that now is fixed. Let me know if now is better.

Almost, it is cowardly, with an l in between the d and the y. Like bravely, soundly, proudly etc.

Glad you did not take this the wrong way, only brought it up because I wanted to help and because I admire anyone who picks up another language like you have.

For me it was Tywin Lannister ordering the death of Rhegars innocent children and Elia Martell, some argue that Gregor did this on his own but obviously this isnt the case Gregor is big and stupid but not insane he wouldnt just kill the prince and princess without orders from Tywin explicitly. 

11 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

True. However from not liking them to conspiring in order to killing them is quite different. Before RW the Freys were just parvenu who were looked down by the others, after RW they were one of the worst houses in Westeros. It's quite different.

The main branch is all of Walder descendants. That would had been quite difficult.

I don't hate Freys for killing Robb, he betrayed them and they were right to take their revenge. I blame them for killing his men. Walder should had killed Robb and left the rest of them for Tywin.

No, the main branch is Stevron's descendants, at least in the way I'm describing them, because they're the only immediate line in succession. The other branches stem from Walder other wives.

What I'm trying to say is that if Black Walder and Edwyn both die, Stevron's only other living descendants are bastard girls, to the best of my recollection. Feudal succession is very messy so there's no clear answer to "who's next in line?" at that point, which is why I think there will be literal war within the Frey family until someone seizes power.

I don't hate the Freys for killing Robb, but for how they did it, and especially for involving his men.

17 minutes ago, Chaircat Meow said:

Almost, it is cowardly, with an l in between the d and the y.

Glad you did not take this the wrong way, only brought it up because I wanted to help and because I admire anyone who picks up another language like you have.

Why I should take constructive comments the wrong way? 

Actually it’s quite refreshing to see people that actually understand that using a language, and even an alphabet, that you don’t use in your everyday life and trying to help you instead of making fun of you.

10 minutes ago, Praetor Xyn said:

No, the main branch is Stevron's descendants, at least in the way I'm describing them, because they're the only immediate line in succession. The other branches stem from Walder other wives.

If you look like it you are right but I don't see it.

10 minutes ago, Praetor Xyn said:

Feudal succession is very messy so there's no clear answer to "who's next in line?" at that point,

And this is why you are wrong. The line of succession is clear; all of the Lord's children are in the line and all are at the main branch and not just the children of the first wife.

6 minutes ago, Winter prince said:

But I felt the actions of Robert were cowardly when he was king. 

How?

6 minutes ago, Winter prince said:

Especially the attempted assassination of Dany.

You mean protecting the kingdom? Because you know he attacked only after she actively started to conspire attacking him.

3 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

You mean protecting the kingdom? Because you know he attacked only after she actively started to conspire attacking him.

I have to respectfully disagree.  The assassination attempt pressed Drogo to march.  He overreacted to her being pregnant and his solution was to kill a pregnant 13 year old half the world away.  Against the counsel of the man he chose to basically run his kingdom, Eddard Stark.

1 minute ago, Winter prince said:

I have to respectfully disagree.  The assassination attempt pressed Drogo to march.  He overreacted to her being pregnant and his solution was to kill a pregnant 13 year old half the world away.  Against the counsel of the man he chose to basically run his kingdom, Eddard Stark.

And yet it was Dany's action to actively starting to conspire to attack him the reason he attacked her. You would have been right if he had attacked her while she had done nothing.

Archived