U.S. Politics: Courting Trump

Mr. Chatywin et al.

2 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:
10 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Meet the Teacher Whose Powerful, Christian Defense of Obamacare Made a GOP Town Hall Go Viral

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2017/02/10/meet_jessi_bohon_whose_christian_defense_of_obamacare_made_a_gop_town_hall.html

This didn’t come close to the heart and meaning of Bohon’s question, and the teacher spoke up again. “How many of those people were in states where they played a political game with people’s lives?” she asked, seemingly referring to the places, including Tennessee, that declined the Affordable Care Act’s Medicaid expansion. Black refused to answer, saying she would “pass.”

Now it seems to me this would have been excellent opportunity to defend your "conservative values". Let your "conservative values" shine!!!!

So why not take the opportunity?

Could it be:

1. Cowardice perhaps?

or

2. You've been bullshitting, and you know you've been bullshitting, and you really don't have an answer. It's kind of like you've written a bunch of hot checks and now people are coming to collect.

She also said this;  “As a Christian, my whole philosophy in life is to pull up the unfortunate. So the individual mandate, that’s what it does. The healthy people pull up the sick,” Bohon said at the event at Middle Tennessee State University. Her concern? If Republicans repeal the ACA and offer coverage to people with chronic illnesses and pre-existing conditions via so-called high-risk pools—as several GOP proposals would do—they’ll have less coverage. “We are effectively punishing our sickest people,” Bohon said, adding that Medicaid should be expanded so we can “make everybody have insurance.” These comments inspired much of the room to all but explode with applause............................

Now I have to say I've never thought of the mandate that way, as a way to treat the unfortunate and the sick with fairness but I would say she does have a good point there.  Her statement that the ideas of the R's for replacement of the ACA would be punishing our sickest people is also one I also agree with.  She is pointing out that much of the 'conservative values' as currently expressed in this country really are punishing to many people, and I'm glad she said this out loud. 

recent events will only accelerate efforts to split up the 9th Circuit

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2017/02/9th-circuit-balks-at-split-jeff-flake-calls-it-out.php

The reason is simple: the court is too big. It encompasses nine states and has 29 slots (of which 25 are currently filled, I believe).

The court’s size means that, unlike with other federal appeals courts, when it sits en banc less than half of the judges participate. Thus, the results of en banc review do not necessarily reflect the view of the majority of the court.

It’s difficult to imagine what a true en banc hearing would look like. Imagine arguing an appeal before 25 judges.

Justice Kennedy and Thomas have both testified to Congress that the Ninth Circuit needs to be split, saying that this is Supreme Court’s consensus view. Kennedy used to serve on that court and is the Justice assigned to it.

Senator Jeff Flake has introduced legislation to split the Ninth Circuit. The court’s reaction to this proposal suggests that size isn’t its only problem.

15 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

............ Now I have to say I've never thought of the mandate that way, as a way to treat the unfortunate and the sick with fairness but I would say she does have a good point there.  Her statement that the ideas of the R's for replacement of the ACA would be punishing our sickest people is also one I also agree with.  She is pointing out that much of the 'conservative values' as currently expressed in this country really are punishing to many people, and I'm glad she said this out loud. 

Yeah, I don't disagree with Ms. Bohon's point. In fact, I agree with her.

It was Representative Black, whom I was mocking, and poking fun at (and Republicans in general)

1 minute ago, OldGimletEye said:

Yeah, I don't disagree with Ms. Bohon's point. I agree with her.

It was Representative Black, whom I was mocking, and poking fun at (and Republicans in general)

I know that OGE and if I was clumsy about what I said my apologies, I just wanted to expand on what she said because I felt it was important, and impressive.   :)  Rep Black deserved your mocking because she's a coward, Ms. Bohon was the brave one here.  Usually the mandate is discussed as part of the economics of the law, or other tecnicalites, but she really brought the human and humane side to the fore.  It needed to be said and she really brought it home.

11 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

I know that OGE and if I was clumsy about what I said my apologies, I just wanted to expand on what she said because I felt it was important, and impressive.   :)  Rep Black deserved your mocking because she's a coward, Ms. Bohon was the brave one here.  Usually the mandate is discussed as part of the economics of the law, or other tecnicalites, but she really brought the human and humane side to the fore.  It needed to be said and she really brought it home.

Okay, maybe I can't read. Sorry. LOL.:lol:

Anyway, you're right. Ms. Bohon framed the issue in very human terms.

And I found her own story particularly powerful, because of my own appalachian heritage, and as such, I'm aware of some of the poverty down there.

Interesting Rep. Black didn't start talking about "makers and takers".

No worries!

13 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

And I found her own story particularly powerful, because of my own appalachian heritage, and as such, I'm aware of some of the poverty down there.

Interesting Rep. Black didn't start talking about "makers and takers".

Yes, the article mentioned her upbringing and it did make me think of our favorite hillbilly, OGE.  Rep. Black better not talk about 'makers and takers' because the R's are the biggest 'takers' out there and some in that crowd definitely knew it.

So two things.

1. Trump is on his 3rd round of golf since inauguration 3 weeks ago. This time, he's doing it with the Prime Minister of Japan and has the Japanese delegation staying at his resorts in Florida, all 180 of them. Along with this, he has put his press pool in a room in Mar-a-Lago where all windows have been blacked out to prevent them from looking outside and seeing what is actually happening. He has taken the Japanese delegation through three different resorts he owns with all money from food, stay and security going into his pocket. This is insane, exactly the issues everyone brought up in terms of his conflicts of interest yet completely underreported. Drives me nuts.

2. It's been 40 hours since the news broke that Michael Flynn and Vice President Pence lied or was mislead about Flynn's discussions with the Russian Ambassador and we have still not heard a thing from Trump or Republican leadership. More outrage needed here.

27 minutes ago, WinterFox said:

I asked my daddy for a small loan of a million dollars today. He said no, I guess I'll never be president. SAD!

Well, you'll need a lot more to have the same head start as *45. In 1985, he was indebted to his father about $14M - or $31M in contemporary dollars with inflation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2016/live-updates/general-election/real-time-fact-checking-and-analysis-of-the-first-presidential-debate/fact-check-how-much-help-did-trumps-father-give-his-son/?utm_term=.907f94d61522

http://www.in2013dollars.com/1985-dollars-in-2016?amount=14000000

2 hours ago, Week said:

You don't know how fast I can turn any amount of money into $31 million worth of debt.

I am not sure whether this had been discussed in one of the previous threads, but I am quite sure it has to be the text book example for conflict of interest. Sorry, if it had been mentioned in the previous thread already.

President landlord. Forget that Con-way sideshow.

1 hour ago, Notone said:

I am not sure whether this had been discussed in one of the previous threads, but I am quite sure it has to be the text book example for conflict of interest. Sorry, if it had been mentioned in the previous thread already.

President landlord. Forget that Con-way sideshow.

Put it on top of the pile of things that will slip through the cracks and never have any consequences.

Trump's actions in filling his properties with foreign visitors and dignitaries at every turn seems to be the actions of a desperate man trying to stave off a fifth bankruptcy.  If he has that much available room, it is not a good sign.

The question ends up being, how much can he loot from the government before he is impeached?

1 hour ago, maarsen said:

Trump's actions in filling his properties with foreign visitors and dignitaries at every turn seems to be the actions of a desperate man trying to stave off a fifth bankruptcy.  If he has that much available room, it is not a good sign.

The question ends up being, how much can he loot from the government before he is impeached?

I wonder if this is a way to hit him.  Republicans aren't going to care about gross ethics violations because Republicans stand for almost nothing.  But they might care if their big tough business man isn't so big or tough or businessy.  Of course, Republicans also can't tell lie from truth, so Trump would probably spin it as the lying media blah blah blah and that would be that.  

“This is designed so Kellyanne Conway and [Sean] Spicer can stand up and say, ‘Well, we’re prioritizing criminals,” said David Leopold, an attorney and past president of the American Immigration Lawyers Association, referring to the counselor to the president and the White House press secretary, respectively. “But in reality they’re going after anyone they can get their hands on—period. It’s a ruse.”

The Future of Deportations Under Trump
The administration's new policies expand who is eligible for deportation, and an Arizona mother who has lived in the country for 21 years may be its first example.

https://www.theatlantic.com/news/archive/2017/02/deportations-under-trump-rayos/516375/

Who Will Be the First Victim of White House Chaos?
Michael Flynn reportedly misled the vice president about conversations with Russia. Sean Spicer has never found his stride. Kellyanne Conway is in Congress’s sights. Welcome to Survivor: West Wing.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/02/flynn-conway-spicer/516258/

Archived