U.S. Politics: Courting Trump

Mr. Chatywin et al.

The stock market and employment under Obama and Republicans understanding of it:

President Obama's approval rating stands at 49/48, the first time we've had him with a positive approval spread in a considerable amount of time. There Phone: 888 621-6988 Web: www.publicpolicypolling.com Email: [email protected] continues to be a lot of misinformation about what has happened during Obama's time in office. 43% of voters think the unemployment rate has increased while Obama has been President, to only 49% who correctly recognize that it has decreased. And 32% of voters think the stock market has gone down during the Obama administration, to only 52% who correctly recognize that it has gone up. In both cases Democrats and independents are correct in their understanding of how things have changed since Obama became President, but Republicans claim by a 64/27 spread that unemployment has increased and by a 57/27 spread that the stock market has gone down.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/PPP_Release_National_51116.pdf

Republicans on Obama's birth certificate:

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/poll-persistent-partisan-divide-over-birther-question-n627446

Seventy-two percent of registered Republican voters still doubt President Obama's citizenship, according to a recent NBC News|SurveyMonkey poll conducted in late June and early July of more than 1,700 registered voters. And this skepticism even exists among Republicans high in political knowledge.

1 hour ago, DunderMifflin said:

Bush people hated him, he was very anti-Bush.

The right wing is not as homogeneous as you believe.

Hell, just look at the Democrats and the Republicans if you want a concrete example of two right wing entities that are regularly at each other's throats. 

Republicans on whether Obama is a Muslim:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2015/02/25/scott-walkers-view-of-obamas-religion-makes-him-a-moderate/

A staggering 54 percent of Republicans said that “Muslim” best described what Obama “believes deep down.” Thirty percent of Republicans answered the way Walker did, by selecting “I don’t know.” Relatively few Republican respondents “take [Obama] at his word,” as Mitch McConnell put it: only 9 percent selected “Christian” to describe what Obama likely believes.

Just now, DunderMifflin said:

Certainly not as nonhomogeneous as "not in love with Democrats = right wing"

Obviously, but if you look at Jones's position, it's absurd to label him as anything but right wing.

He might pin himself as anti-establishment, and he might very well be, but pretty much all of his political positions fall within the political theory definition of what the "right wing" is.

Republicans on the death panel lie:

Nonetheless, Palin’s comments created a media frenzy. In the ten days after her initial statement, Howard Kurtz, Washington Post media critic, counted 18 mentions of “death panels” in the Post, 16 in the New York Times, and more than 154 on network and cable news shows (2009). By mid-August, Pew reported that 86% of Americans reported having heard of the claim that the health care reform legislation “includes the creation of so called ‘death panels’ or government organizations that will make decisions about who will and will not receive health services when they are critically ill” (Pew Research Center for the People and the Press 2009). Among those who had heard of the claim, fully half either believed it was true (30%) or did not know (20%), including 70% of Republicans (47% true, 23% don’t know). Three other polls found similar results (Research 2000 2009b; CBS News/New York Times 2009; CNN/ORC 2009).

https://www.dartmouth.edu/~nyhan/health-care-misinformation.pdf

Republicans on WMD in Iraq

In a Public Mind poll from Fairleigh Dickinson University released Wednesday, more than half of Republicans — 51 percent — and half of those who watch Fox News — 52 percent — say that they believe it to be “definitely true” or “probably true” that American forces found an active weapons of mass destruction program in Iraq.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/01/poll-republicans-wmds-iraq-114016

53 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Also I don't define myself within any political party or philosophy. That doesn't mean there is an open void for you to come and define it for me.

How you choose to define yourself and what you actually are aren't always, or even usually, the same.

For example, I don't define myself as an asshole, but if I'm always honking at people for minor inconveniences in traffic, yelling at old ladies who take too long in the grocery line, and weaseling my way out of being designated driver, then I'm an asshole, regardless of how I define myself.

31 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Seemed about even to me.

Russia did it. (Before any imtellegence agencies said anything)

Nazis!

Fascists! 

Yeah, one "conspiracy theory" (Russian fingerprints were all over this, almost from the jump) that proved to be correct. Versus how many theories that have been spun regarding Hillary over the years? Versus how many Trump spun about Obama and the "establishment"? 

/Keep being 'Independent"

This stupid digression about whether or not Alex Jones is Right Wing is distracting us from my original point that the "Establishment" that @Altherion lauds Donald Trump for fighting seems to consist of teacher's unions, social workers, poor immigrants, college professors, NASA, climate scientists, and the entire Judicial Branch, but not the Military Industrial Complex, the Police Unions, overzealous prosecutors, Joe Arpaio, or even Goldman Sachs.

43 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Seemed about even to me.

Russia did it. (Before any imtellegence agencies said anything)

Nazis!

Fascists! 

Not seeing a difference is more telling of your Right Wing views regardless of your protest of being some truely  independent minded.

The President is a deep believer in Conspiracy Theories and will act upon them. 

The campagin was of an Extreme Nationalism and has many components of Facism. That many choose to ignore it is on them.

Nazism is a form of Facism and given events of history has made it viewed as some apex of Facism.  It does obscure from the several other forms of Facist governance. So it beung overuse can be a reasoned debate.

2 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

This stupid digression about whether or not Alex Jones is Right Wing is distracting us from my original point that the "Establishment" that @Altherion lauds Donald Trump for fighting seems to consist of teacher's unions, social workers, poor immigrants, college professors, NASA, climate scientists, and the entire Judicial Branch, but not the Military Industrial Complex, the Police Unions, overzealous prosecutors, Joe Arpaio, or even Goldman Sachs.

And that's a great point. He appears to be draining the working folks swamp. Elite swamp is as wet as it has ever been. 

14 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

How you choose to define yourself and what you actually are aren't always, or even usually, the same.

For example, I don't define myself as an asshole, but if I'm always honking at people for minor inconveniences in traffic, yelling at old ladies who take too long in the grocery line, and weaseling my way out of being designated driver, then I'm an asshole, regardless of how I define myself.

You've provided some sort of actual specific incidents that would lead some people to believe you are an asshole.

The only back up provided for saying I'm part of a political party is some vague shit about how I participate in lies and am happy about something.

It's like you saying you aren't an asshole. "Then I come and say nope, u are an asshole. Why? Because u do a bunch of asshole stuff like, ya know asshole stuff. Specifics aren't important"

Anyway, all serious study into conspiracy theory that I'm aware of has never concluded that Democrats or Republicans believe conspiracies at different rates, but that political affiliation does have a strong correlation to which conspiracy theories one is more likely to believe.

e.g. I claim to be not affiliated with a political party yet secretly I'm a Republican.muahahaha

3 hours ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

It's the old right wing/Alex Jones definition:

Establishment: teachers unions, socials workers, public defenders, service unions, NASA, Climate scientists

Not Establishment: Joe Arpaio, Blackwater, Amway, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, Exxon-Mobil

20 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

I think that's generally true,but I thought altherion was for the populist elements.  Though it looked like he included the judiciary in with "the establishment" (as opposed to a fundamental part of "the nation") for some reason.   I definitely don't think trump is anti establishment despite how he tries to brand himself as such.   The things he's against tend to be things like democratic norms, checks on his power, fundamental institutions and so forth. 

Trump supporters that don't trust government data:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/when-the-facts-dont-matter-how-can-democracy-survive/2016/10/17/560ff302-94a5-11e6-9b7c-57290af48a49_story.html

The survey found that more than 4 in 10 Americans somewhat or completely distrust the economic data reported by the federal government. Among Donald Trump voters, the share is 68 percent, with nearly half saying they don’t trust government economic data “at all.”

6 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Anyway, all serious study into conspiracy theory that I'm aware of has never concluded that Democrats or Republicans believe conspiracies at different rates, but that political affiliation does have a strong correlation to which conspiracy theories one is more likely to believe.

e.g. I claim to be not affiliated with a political party yet secretly I'm a Republican.muahahaha

https://today.yougov.com/news/2016/12/27/belief-conspiracies-largely-depends-political-iden/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/05/05/the-outlandish-conspiracy-theories-many-of-donald-trumps-supporters-believe/?utm_term=.d81c5e6bfc74

...and all the OGE has posted that you haven't responded to. Both showing the number of conspiracy theories that people believe and the huge number of people who believe in conspiracy theories that have been disproved. If you think that the political affiliation does not have a strong correlation to belief in conspiracies then you don't believe in math or choose not to do math.

Archived