U.S. Politics: Courting Trump

Mr. Chatywin et al.

10 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Daniel Abraham posted this link from someone stopped by the not-a-Muslim travel ban. Have you seen it?

Well, looks like I'm not allowed to post it, even if it shows up on my screen, it disappears when I post.

Briefly, a gentleman apologizes to his friends for vanishing. He returned to the US from being out of the country and was stopped by Homeland Security, who demanded the access PIN to his cellphone to copy the data. He did not want to give it, since he's a US-born citizen and a NASA engineer at the Jet Propulsion Lab and the phone belongs to them. He realized he would be held until he did, so he gave the PIN and was then locked up with other detainees while they copied the data on his phone.

JPL has given him a new phone and number and is running forensics on his phone to see what they did.

Image may contain: text

I would really like to see that link posted in this thread. Have you figured out why its disappearing when you try to post it?

7 hours ago, Altherion said:

Of course we are in serious trouble -- that was obvious as early as last June (when it became clear that Trump won the Republican primary).

Of course, but my recollection is that you saw Trump as the solution to that trouble, not the cause of it. So far as I know you still do.

Again, Trump's attitude towards the judiciary was pretty clear during the campaign and people voted for him anyway.

It was? I can't recall him ever commenting on judicial review.

The manner in which American democracy has generally operated in the recent past has screwed over a substantial number of Americans who are now quite angry.

Where's the evidence that it is the courts they're angry with? The evidence I've seen is that it's largely Congress they're angry at. In which case this point is irrelevant.

^seriously though. Trump certainly did NOT make his attitude toward the judiciary "pretty clear" during the campaign. In fact, I avidly followed the whole shit show, and I don't recall him ever mentioning anything about specific judges... or judges as a whole... except accusing a judge of impartiality based on his heritage. I especially don't remember him saying anything REMOTELY related to the "judiciary" as a concept.

Meet the Teacher Whose Powerful, Christian Defense of Obamacare Made a GOP Town Hall Go Viral

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2017/02/10/meet_jessi_bohon_whose_christian_defense_of_obamacare_made_a_gop_town_hall.html

Too Close for Comfort

How much do the early days of the Trump administration look like the Third Reich? Historian Richard Evans weighs in.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/interrogation/2017/02/historian_richard_evans_says_trump_s_america_isn_t_exactly_like_the_third.html

Conspiracy Theory Theory

Why are so many people convinced that Donald Trump has a master plan?

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2017/02/tracking_the_conspiracy_theories_about_donald_trump_s_first_weeks_in_office.html

3 hours ago, MerenthaClone said:

Trump doesn't need to take it to court, he just needs to say that he did.  Y'all keep thinking and acting like facts matter.

Yeah, I also can't help but feel that we're discussing the whole 'rule of law' game board way too much compared to the game board that Trump is probably going to play on. It really doesn't matter if some cute website is reporting preliminary preparations for impeachment, or if all the courts in the land are against him, if no one is willing to actually go in and drag the man away or enfore an order that explicitly goes against his. We're back to Varys' riddle. I wonder what parameters will determine what calls will be made if/when the time comes. Certainly the military has a right-wing slant, and Trump exudes a lot of personal authority and inevitability. On the other hand, his poll numbers do seem to be slipping, which could also be a deciding factor. But on the third hand, he and his people will happily make up some poll numbers on the spot if it gives them final authority during a constitutional crisis.

7 hours ago, chairman lmao said:

awesome. next up; how to successfully negotiate the South China Sea problem using proven garage sale praxis — the similarities might surprise you! 

Business style negotiations with a nuclear power that possesses ICBMs.  That's smart. :(

13 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I am speechless that you could say that.

There's nothing wrong with saying you disagree with a court decision. There is something very wrong with suggesting that there should be 'ramifications' for a court decision.

I think you misunderstood stage two of the Grand Old Plan. 

Stage 1. Convince the American public, that the system is so broke (courtesy of the GOP) that you need an outsider to fix it. It took a while, they experimentated a bit with the right label. The first draft with the maverick failed in in '08. But now they succeeded to get a reality TV persona into the Oval Office. So let's say this stage is completed.

Stage 2. Convince the American public that the US court system is so broke that you need an outsider to fix it. No longer should so called judges with a law degree (insiders) rule which laws are constitutional, and how a law should be interpreted. I think a used car salesman or a plumber, or a hockey mom from Alaska will rule more to the liking of the populus.

Stage 3. 

Stage 4. Profit.

Actually, Notone's post seems to be a South Park joke that got a little out of hand. There are 4 stages instead of 3 and no question mark.

It should actually read like this:

Phase 1: Trick American public into electing you president so you can destroy the courts.

Phase 2: ?

Phase 3: Profit!

3 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

This is just disgusting - 

am Retweeted

Monthly cost of: Guarding Trump Tower: $30 million

Section 8 for all 15,856 NYC homeless families: $28 million

I wonder what the cost is of guarding his Florida 'Winter Palace White House" as he calls it is?

30 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Notone,

Are you suggesting that had McCain been elected in 08 we'd be seeing the same antics we're seeing from the Trump administration?

No, I am suggesting the seeds for a Trump like oaf were planted way before that. Palin (and to a lesser extent McCain) were singing the same outsider song. The system of Washington insiders is broken, we need an outsider (in '08 a Maverick). Of course singing the outsider song as members of the party who put that failed two term president into office was ridiculous, especially with somebody like McCain on top of the ticket, who had served in the senate for ages, and lacked any kind of credibility as an outsider. Thus that numbnut from Alaska on the ticket. 

And the other point being, they have taken down two branches of goverment already (congress with the tea party, and they used that end the reign of insiders nonsense already to hunt down RINOs, and now it's the executive branch), so the last branch has to be the judicial one.

22 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Actually, Notone's post seems to be a South Park joke that got a little out of hand. There are 4 stages instead of 3 and no question mark.

Yes, I couldn't resist making that sock gnomes joke. My urge to include some odd cultural reference joke into a semi-serious post got the better of me (yet, again).

8 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

Like I said:

Many people on this board are making the same mistake as Obama and the Democratic Party:

Putting what you want on the table.  That leads NOWHERE with business types.

Instead, they demand what they want, plus everything else they can think of.  Sure, they loose some points here and there.  But, what they usually get is everything they want, plus extras.

for serious, enterprise to enterprise deals, if your first offer isn't at least in the ballpark, you get laughed out the room, and get a reputation that makes it harder to do business in the future.

21 minutes ago, Notone said:

Yes, I couldn't resist making that sock gnomes joke. My urge to include some odd cultural reference joke into a semi-serious post got the better of me (yet, again).

Hey, I'm not complaining. I do the same thing. The truth is every time I make a South Park reference in a post, I earn another freckle.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Fucking ICE raids here all weekend long.  Non-criminals being targeted.  I've had half a dozen kids in my house all weekend who now no longer have parents or family because conservatives are worse than scum.  

Holy Fucking Shit!  Targeting criminals h'uh?  Fucking liars.

Archived