Winds of Winter length

shortguy457

So every book of ASOIAF hasnt exceeded roughly 80 chapters. There's like what 12-15 Pov characters now? He has the two big battles - the battle in the ice and at Meereen - that he's got to finish from the last book and judging from the sample chapters, those look like it's going to drag ~ 10 chapters. Probably leaving only 70 chapters of actual winds of winter material. And that's IF the chapters aren't that long. A dance with dragons was 73 chapters but the same length as a storm of swords (82 chapters - I think, close enough) Doesn't this kind of worry anybody? Either he's going to have to considerably condense everyone's storyline to about five chapters each or he's going to have to split the books again. I just don't see how this book is going to turn out considering everything. Any thoughts any body?

Pretty sure the POV's are converging geographically and also several are about to engage in high-risk battles. So that by the end of TWOW we'll have narrowed them down a fair bit. through death and simply no longer having to have so many people actively given a POV.

We do know Mellisandre will have more POV chapters in TWOW. As GRRM recently said so. But we also know there won't be any additional POV's added.

I think we can rely upon say; Areoh Hotah dying in winds, possibly Barristan, likely Victarion, Aeron, maybe Cersei towards the end of the book, possibly Davos. As once Stannis story is through & Rickon returned he is somewhat surplus to requirements.  

standards, for mass marketing purposes, set the limit at  around 1600 pages, give or take.

GRRM at this point could probably go over, but then you run into issues with the integrity of the spine and pages.

knowing how George typically writes, he better get RIGHT into the action and point if we are going to get ANY resolution in WoW...

6 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

GRRM could easily "fix" the problem of excess POVs by killing them off.  (Although, if we end up with an eighth book, I wouldn't mind.)

Some will die, Aeron, Victarion, Barristan & Areoh are pretty good bets. An eight book is a very strong possibility. Almost unavoidable unless we are left with a relatively open ending.

19 minutes ago, DigUpHerBones said:

knowing how George typically writes, he better get RIGHT into the action and point if we are going to get ANY resolution in WoW...

There will be a lot of resolution in tWoW, just from the amount of cliffhanging plots from Feast&Dance, but it also means that the timeline will not move too fast despite that these chapters will consume a good part of the book (a half or maybe more)

On 2/10/2017 at 10:07 PM, shortguy457 said:

So every book of ASOIAF hasnt exceeded roughly 80 chapters. There's like what 12-15 Pov characters now? He has the two big battles - the battle in the ice and at Meereen - that he's got to finish from the last book and judging from the sample chapters, those look like it's going to drag ~ 10 chapters. Probably leaving only 70 chapters of actual winds of winter material. And that's IF the chapters aren't that long. A dance with dragons was 73 chapters but the same length as a storm of swords (82 chapters - I think, close enough) Doesn't this kind of worry anybody? Either he's going to have to considerably condense everyone's storyline to about five chapters each or he's going to have to split the books again. I just don't see how this book is going to turn out considering everything. Any thoughts any body?

There are actually currently 20 living POVs.  Many of these are relatively minor ones introduced in FFC/DWD and probably won't need more than 2 chapters.  I expect major characters (Tyrion, Dany, Jon, Starks) will get around 7 chapters or so.  That's about what Sansa had in the first 3 books, and Dany had 6 in SOS, so you can get a lot done with that many.  Also, as @The Weirwoods Eyes has pointed out, stories are likely to converge rather rapidly, so there won't be the need for as many chapters per POV.  80 or so chapters is doable, but he will need to concentrate on the main stories and characters.

Archived