Reccomend recent debut spec fic. authors

Garlan the Gallant

Hi,

Apologies for asking for a reccomendation but I've searched and come up empty handed. 

I mad a New Year's resolution to stop reading the same authors and to branch out to new debut authors. I found myself in a rut reading the newest Daniel Abraham, Robin Hobb, Brent Weeks, etc book and wanted something different. I've recently read the following and enjoyed them all, but I've rated them on how much I liked each:

1) The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins *****

2) Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel **** 1/2

3) The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden **** 1/2

4) The Summer Dragon by Todd Lockwood ****

5) All the Birds In the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders ****

6) The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet *** 1/2

Some of my favorite reads of the past couple of years have been: The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, Uprooted by Noami Novik, Station Eleven by Emily St John Manuel, The Flight of the Silvers by Daniel Price, The Rook by Daniel O'Malley, and The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker. I did not enjoy A Crown for Cold Silver by Alex Marshall, The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu, or The Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson. I'm a huge fan of the Forever War, the First Law Trilogy, The Expanse, The Warlord Chronicles, Snow Crash, Ready Player One, the Bitter Seeds trilogy, and R Scott Bakker but am looking for something different than the normal recommendations that are often seen on the board.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the wall of text!

I don't tend to read debut authors.  Normally I prefer to wait a couple years and see what the overall impresses of their series are before I dive in.  That being said I do tend to make lists of newcomers to keep an eye on.  Here's my epic fantasy list for 2016, it might give you some ideas:

Truthwitch by Susan Dennard

The Guns of Ivrea by Clifford Beal

Snakewood by Adrian Selby

Silent Hall by N.S. Dolkart

Infernal by Mark De Jager

Hope and Red by Jon Skovron

The Dragon Lords: Fool's Gold by Jon Hollis

Steal the Sky by Megan O'Keefe

Duskfall by Christopher Husberg

The Cracked Amulet by R.B. Watkinson

22 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well all my Goodreads friends abd people I follow one starred it and people on the board here trashed it when it came out. *shrug*

Hmm. :dunno: There's a sample here http://www.orbitbooks.net/excerpt/snakewood/ . But yeah, different strokes for different folks or whatever. It's on my TBR but there's so much other stuff that I don't know when I'll get to it. I really want to make the time to finish Locke Lamora.

On 2/11/2017 at 2:35 AM, Darth Richard II said:

Ninefox Gambit. If you're not afraid of romance cooties try The Cold Between.

Darth! I can't believe you left out Too Like the Lightning. Shame on you! ;) Ada Palmer has written nonfiction before, but this is her fiction debut. Fabulous book. It's entirely different than The Library at Mount Char, but reading it gave me the same feeling of an author showing off during a highwire act.

6 hours ago, Contrarius+ said:

Darth! I can't believe you left out Too Like the Lightning. Shame on you! ;) Ada Palmer has written nonfiction before, but this is her fiction debut. Fabulous book. It's entirely different than The Library at Mount Char, but reading it gave me the same feeling of an author showing off during a highwire act.

I hadn't started it yet when I made that post!

Archived