Other books similar to The world of ice and fire?

The world of ice and fire really got me into these sort of fantasy lore/universe books, telling me all about the history and places of the world. I LOVE twoiaf, and I recently bought The world of the witcher and the world of thedas, which are also very good. Are there any other books like that that you would recomend? Maybe some lore books for the lord of the rings series of warcraft maybe?

I know this is a repost but I accidentaly posted the first time on the wrong forum and don`t know how to delete a post.

Similar books include:

The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time, for The Wheel of Time.

The World of Shannara, for Terry Brooks's numerous Shannara books.

The Chronicles of Pug, for Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar books (this one is a bit rubbish).

Middle-earth has loads. The only canon one is Unfinished Tales by Tolkien himself, but The Atlas of Middle-earth by Karen Wynn Fonstad is excellent (as are her Atlas of PernAtlas of The LandDragonlance Atlas and Forgotten Realms Atlas).

World of WarCraft is a difficult one, as the world has changed so much. There were some early companion books but I think expansions have rendered them mostly obsolete. Probably the WoW wikis are the best resource for that.

21 hours ago, The Grey Wolf said:

On WOW: Have you read the WOW Chronicle: Volume 1 that came out last year and if so what did you make of it? I haven't played the game but I love world-building, which is why I got it.

Just looked the wow chronicle up and It seems it`s right up my alley. Lots of lore and beatiuful art. Definetly getting it.

The Rivan Codex is more of a "behind the scenes" look at the writing of the series with some random other bits thrown in. It's not quite a "world book" in the same vein.

Also, the OP is asking for similar "world books" to The World of Ice and Fire, not fantasy series like ASoIaF. There's a ton of recommendation threads in the Literature Forum for that sort of thing.

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

The Rivan Codex is more of a "behind the scenes" look at the writing of the series with some random other bits thrown in. It's not quite a "world book" in the same vein.

Also, the OP is asking for similar "world books" to The World of Ice and Fire, not fantasy series like ASoIaF. There's a ton of recommendation threads in the Literature Forum for that sort of thing.

This. Any and all lore/ world books are welcome, but as he said, I\m not asking for fantasy books in general.

5 hours ago, DreadedNorwegian said:

This. Any and all lore/ world books are welcome, but as he said, I\m not asking for fantasy books in general.

Thing is, the Rivian Codex is still a lore book even if it contains other parts as well. But if you're not interested I hope you are free to read what you want.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/02/2017 at 2:11 PM, shadows and dust said:

The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson is another densely built world.

It has more magic than GRRM,  but is similar in the sense of gray characters against the trope standard of white vs black.

The OP is looking for other "worldbuilding" books, like The World of Ice and Fire, not general fantasy recommendations.

There was actually going to be such as book for the Malazan series, but Steven Erikson and Ian Esslemont seem to have given up on it.

17 hours ago, Werthead said:

The OP is looking for other "worldbuilding" books, like The World of Ice and Fire, not general fantasy recommendations.

There was actually going to be such as book for the Malazan series, but Steven Erikson and Ian Esslemont seem to have given up on it.

After years of searching, I finally got the "World of kong: A natural history of Skull Island" It`s perfect!!! That and the world of ice and fire are some of the beest wolrd book there are!

17 hours ago, Werthead said:

Apologies, misread. And cool heads up on the defunct world book. Thank you.

I read the series, but never got drawn into any of the internet chatter for Malazan.

3 hours ago, DreadedNorwegian said:

After years of searching, I finally got the "World of kong: A natural history of Skull Island" It`s perfect!!! That and the world of ice and fire are some of the beest wolrd book there are!

Never heard of it so can you describe it?

Also, another one that might interest you would be Diablo III: Book of Tyrael, which is separate from Diablo III: Book of Cain. Again, I don't own either of those nor have I read them myself so I can't comment on their quality and whether or not they're worth your time.

21 hours ago, Werthead said:

Has it been officially abandoned or just fallen by the wayside and how many people actually even want it?

22 hours ago, The Grey Wolf said:

Has it been officially abandoned or just fallen by the wayside and how many people actually even want it?

Apparently there was a roleplaying game deal and Erikson's idea was that they would simply give their material to the RPG team and they could create a de facto world book out of that. But then no deal was written.

Also, they planned to write a world book only after the series was complete. But with both Erikson and Esslemont still writing new material, that's not going to work either.

5 hours ago, Werthead said:

Apparently there was a roleplaying game deal and Erikson's idea was that they would simply give their material to the RPG team and they could create a de facto world book out of that. But then no deal was written.

Also, they planned to write a world book only after the series was complete. But with both Erikson and Esslemont still writing new material, that's not going to work either.

Thanks for clarifying. Do you, by any chance, know anything about how that works? I ask because I'm really into world-building and was considering that as a future possibility for an original setting I've been working on for a while now.

Archived