Rhaenys_Targaryen

Project: Featured Article

22 posts in this topic

Since August 2014, the wiki has been displaying the same 11 articles as featured articles, repeating them over and over. I think it would be an improvement to increase the number of featured articles, so the repetition is no longer so frequent. Also, I think that it would be an improvement to increase the type of articles that are featured, so we won't have, for example, three POVs in a row. Currently, we have 6 POVs, 1 non-POV, 3 wars, and 1 object as featured articles. To give the project a boost, I would like to propose a number of articles to be added to the "featured article"-list.

I've created a thread for this project, so people can easily nominate or suggest articles, and discuss what improvements are necessary in order to make the article a featured article. I've specifically chosen to create a thread for this instead of continueing discussions on the template page, so forum-users who are not able to edit the wiki can voice their opinions as well.

So to start, I would like to suggest a number or articles. First of all, the following four pages have previously been nominated but are not yet featured. I personally think that, in their current state, they are all well-written enough and with enough references to become featured articles.

  1. Stannis Baratheon (added)
  2. Davos Seaworth
  3. Melisandre  (added)
  4. House Arryn  (added)

I further would like to suggest several pages myself, which I think are all currently written in such a way (neutral, well-referenced, etc.) that they would make good featured articles:

  1. Braavos
  2. Volantis (added)
  3. Pentos
  4. Century of Blood
  5. Doom of Valyria  (currently displayed)
  6. Cersei Lannister
  7. Catelyn Stark
  8. Petyr Baelish
  9. Jon Connington (added)
  10. The section "Marriage" on the Customs page (added)
  11. The section "Inheritance" on the Customs page
  12. Targaryen campaign in Slaver's Bay
  13. First Blackfyre Rebellion

 

Feel free to discuss whether you agree that these articles would make good featured articles, and please make suggestions for future featured articles!

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen
update

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All of these would be very interesting! But I'll pick 3 for starters, Stannis, Mel. And the Doom.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank you, @Rhaenys_Targaryen and all of you who have been working so hard to improve the wiki. I remember when it had many, many mistakes and very incomplete info, but that was years ago. Not anymore, tough. Now it's an excellent and reliable source! 

:cheers::bowdown:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

All of these would be very interesting! But I'll pick 3 for starters, Stannis, Mel. And the Doom.

Any specific reason as to why those three topics? Is it just topic preference (nothing wrong with that!), or because you feel like the others could use some more inprovement? Because if it is the later, please say which improvements you think are necessary to those pages. :) 

2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank you, @Rhaenys_Targaryen and all of you who have been working so hard to improve the wiki. I remember when it had many, many mistakes and very incomplete info, but that was years ago. Not anymore, tough. Now it's an excellent and reliable source! 

:cheers::bowdown:

 

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Any specific reason as to why those three topics? Is it just topic preference (nothing wrong with that!), or because you feel like the others could use some more inprovement? Because if it is the later, please say which improvements you think are necessary to those pages. :) 

Thank you!

It's purely topic preference. :)

And you're very welcome! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the "Did You Know" section, we could also use GRRM's inspirations and homages. For instance, "Did you know ... that the Doom of Valyria was inspired by Atlantis and the fall of Rome?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nittanian said:

For the "Did You Know" section, we could also use GRRM's inspirations and homages. For instance, "Did you know ... that the Doom of Valyria was inspired by Atlantis and the fall of Rome?"

Good idea!

What do you think about the proposed articles?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2017 at 1:00 PM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Good idea!

What do you think about the proposed articles?

Look good to me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes please! The featured articles being the same over and over is quite dull. More would be a welcome change, and these articles are great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should "Bleeding Years" (mentioned in 2012) be removed from the intro of "Century of Blood", since it isn't used in TWOIAF (published in 2014)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Nittanian said:

Should "Bleeding Years" (mentioned in 2012) be removed from the intro of "Century of Blood", since it isn't used in TWOIAF (published in 2014)?

I've added it because it is a term often used by fans on forums.. So it seems useful to mention it, imo.

Instead of saying "semi-canonically known as" we could perhaps say "referred to by fans as". That would perhaps be a more correct way of phrasing it.

 

I've added the first four new featured articles (Stannis, Melisandre, the Doom, House Arryn), will add more this weekend :) 

Edit: And I'll look into editing the featured facts template, as it is  currently based on the length of a month, with a current total of ninety-three (displaying all during 31-day long months). If we add more to the list, the template needs to be updates to use a different count.

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted three more: Volantis, Jon Connington, and marriage customs.

 

If anyone knows where to find an image of a marriage ceremony, please post a link!

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2017 at 5:04 PM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

I've added it because it is a term often used by fans on forums.. So it seems useful to mention it, imo.

Instead of saying "semi-canonically known as" we could perhaps say "referred to by fans as". That would perhaps be a more correct way of phrasing it.

If "Bleeding Years' is only used by fans and we have the canon name of "Century of Blood", wouldn't it be best served with a simple redirect, like with the fan-only "Tourney of the Hand" redirecting to the canon "Hand's tourney"? "Purple Wedding" is another fan-creation, but that at least has been acknowledged by GRRM in interviews.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Nittanian said:

If "Bleeding Years' is only used by fans and we have the canon name of "Century of Blood", wouldn't it be best served with a simple redirect, like with the fan-only "Tourney of the Hand" redirecting to the canon "Hand's tourney"? "Purple Wedding" is another fan-creation, but that at least has been acknowledged by GRRM in interviews.

Or perhaps we could use a note at the bottom of the page? It was quite a search to figure out where the term originated from, and I can easily imagine people getting confused.

 

I'm testing a new template that will allow us to have more than 31 featured articles (as the current template allows only an amount equal to the maximum length of a month). I'm going to test it for the "did you know" facts as well. I prefer testing the templates first to prevent any issues, since I'm not an expert on templates, and it was quite a puzzle to get it working properly yesterday :) If all goes well, we could start adding many more "did you know" facts and featured articles (and perhaps also featured quotes?). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've added a few other pages, bringing the total to 31. With a few more the template I made can be tested, and at least for next month we'll have two to three weeks of new featured articles.

I've added:

  • Cersei Lannister
  • Petyr Baelish
  • House Stark
  • Arianne Martell
  • Prince of Dragonstone
  • First Blackfyre Rebellion
  • Pentos
  • Davos Seaworth
  • The Century of Blood
  • Catelyn Stark
  • Inheritance customs
  • Targaryen campaign in Slaver's Bay
  • Braavos

So all those I proposed above, and a few extra.

I've got a list of pages that are either ready or almost ready to be added as a featured article, but I am also very much interested in suggestions. So if you have any, please post them!

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I'm having trouble identifying which parameters are being used here to select entries to become featured articles, especially since I haven't seen many poorly written articles so far.

Anyway, I think it would be a good idea to take into consideration the featured articles in AWOIAF app:

  1. Eddard Stark
  2. Highgarden
  3. Varys
  4. Jon Snow
  5. Roose Bolton
  6. Melisandre
  7. Storm's End
  8. Jorah Mormont
  9. Robert Baratheon
  10. Jaime Lannister
  11. Cersei Lannister
  12. Dragonstone
  13. Gregor Clegane
  14. Beric Dondarrion
  15. Winterfell
  16. Arya Stark
  17. Sansa Stark

Not really a list of suggestions. More like a suggested list.

Edited by Ckram

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

31 minutes ago, Ckram said:

I'm having trouble identifying which parameters are being used here to select entries to become featured articles, especially since I haven't seen many poorly written articles so far.

Anyway, I think it would be a good idea to take into consideration the featured articles in AWOIAF app:

  1. Eddard Stark
  2. Highgarden
  3. Varys
  4. Jon Snow
  5. Roose Bolton
  6. Melisandre
  7. Storm's End
  8. Jorah Mormont
  9. Robert Baratheon
  10. Jaime Lannister
  11. Cersei Lannister
  12. Dragonstone
  13. Gregor Clegane
  14. Beric Dondarrion
  15. Winterfell
  16. Arya Stark
  17. Sansa Stark

Not really a list of suggestions. More like a suggested list.

I've been preparing some new articles. Will include them on the "to complete"-list! Some of these could use some more editing before becoming a featured article.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

So, I've added a few more pages (Aegon I TargaryenBrynden TullySunspearTheon Greyjoy, and Chroyane), bringing the total at the moment to 36. As such, I've undated the template, as to calculate which featured article text to use by looking at the amount of days still remaining in the year (and not month, as was the case before). It seems to be working just fine :) I've also added some "did you know" facts (we have 114 at the moment), and, as the previous template for that feature could not allow for more than 93 facts, I've updated that template accordingly as well.

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now