The craziest ideas you conceived...

GloubieBoulga

... and you aren't sure to believe yourself.

Not necessarely well/long built theories, but some quotes of the text gave you these ideas as possibilities (for example, the kind of twist I could never see coming, or excepting, but announced by the text). 

Without pretending they are true, you considere these as some exercices and possibilities that give you fun to explore... waiting for TWOW ^^

So, the 3 I can recall. I begin with my oldest : 

1. The Long Night nor the battle of Dawn, nor the Age of Heroes never existed in the past, but "inspired" people (=people who used magic for divination or who dreamt once or many time near weirwoods, or others) had visions of major future events = the Long Night during the time of the saga. They also identified some of the characters as specifics heroes, but each of them interpreted his visions with his/her own culture/traditions/knowledges/habits/believes : this could explain why the Long Night seems to be universal. After all, at Qarth - very far from Westeros - Daenerys has a vision about a Stark with a wolfhead presiding a feast of deads : why couldn't other people see similars things without being able to interprete "correctly" because they are to far in time and/or geographically ?

What gave me this idea ? A little affirmation of Leo Tyrell, combined with re-reading Bran's chapter at Night Fort, a location full of legends that recall present events (the king of the Night and his queen as Stannis with Melisandre, or the Thing who is coming the Night as Sam, Gilly, the baby and Coldhands coming taking Bran and his companions to pass beyond the Wall; or the Rat Cook that recall Manderly's pie, but also Walder Frey who breaks the guest rights : precisely, the chapter begins with Bran thinking to a nightmare he has about the Red Wedding, so horrible that he can't speak about it and keep it secret) : 

"Dragons and darker things," said Leo. "The grey sheep have closed their eyes, but the mastiff sees the truth. Old powers waken. Shadows stir. An age of wonder and terror will soon be upon us, an age for gods and heroes." He stretched, smiling his lazy smile. "That's worth a round, I'd say." (Leo Tyrell, in AFFC, PRologue)

A second quote achieved to give consistance to this idea : when BR explains to Bran weirwood's nature as collecting memories and dissolving past present and future in the same eternal time : 

Time is different for a tree than for a man. Sun and soil and water, these are the things a weirwood understands, not days and years and centuries. For men, time is a river. We are trapped in its flow, hurtling from past to present, always in the same direction. The lives of trees are different. They root and grow and die in one place, and that river does not move them. The oak is the acorn, the acorn is the oak. And the weirwood … a thousand human years are a moment to a weirwood, and through such gates you and I may gaze into the past." (Bran III, ADWD)

Here, the metaphor with the rivers gave me later my second crazy idea (the kind I could absolutely not anticipate without my 3 entire reading + 1 in original language + discuss in this forum and the french fan forum). So : 

2. The Wall was originally a river, at least for the part who is "straight as a sword". 

The river metaphor - for the time as a river and the weirwood (and the trees) as kind of weirs who "retain" the time - is the root for the idea, but it came up really to my mind with this quote, from ACOK, when Jon has his wolf dream and sees the Milkwater and all the Wildlings reunited : 

A vast blue-white wall plugged one end of the vale, squeezing between the mountains as if it had shouldered them aside, and for a moment he thought he had dreamed himself back to Castle Black. Then he realized he was looking at a river of ice several thousand feet high. Under that glittering cold cliff was a great lake, its deep cobalt waters reflecting the snowcapped peaks that ringed it. There were men down in the valley, he saw now; many men, thousands, a huge host. Some were tearing great holes in the half-frozen ground, while others trained for war. He watched as a swarming mass of riders charged a shield wall, astride horses no larger than ants. (Jon VII, ACOK)

After, he describe this as a "frozen river". Ok, Milkwater - frozen river - appears like a wall. And what if the Wall were originally a huge river (for the east-part), like the Rhoyne ? Frozen and kept solid with weirwood ? 

For the Rhoyne, I always found very interesting the similarities between the Sorrows and "beyond-the-Wall", or between some version of Shrouded Lord's legend and King of the Night. The Rhoyne acts also as a frontier between two worlds, living- and dead- world, to say it quickly. The same happens with Riverlands, which is not really a land for the dead, but for souls who are lost and don't find peace (=the dead don't reach the "realm of the dead", their house, as Arya never reach Winterfell, "her house"...)

I didn't yet explored all the stuff of that.

To finish, my last crazy, perhaps the craziest (but I had it just few days ago, reading the thread "re-reading Bran the winged-wolf") :

3. The very first "3 Eyed-crow" was... a woman.

WHAT ???? Yes, I know, I can hardly believes myself, and even go further to pretend that "Brandon the Builder" never existed as "the Builder". And the face of the Black Door at Night Fort is an old woman face. Nevertheless, according to the Coldhand's answer "your monster, Brandon Stark", there is a Brandon Stark in the "original story". But perhaps he is not where we are (I was) looking for. 

Now, the quote that gave me the idea : 

The crow opened its beak and cawed at him, a shrill scream of fear, and the grey mists shuddered and swirled around him and ripped away like a veil, and he saw that the crow was really a woman, a serving woman with long black hair, and he knew her from somewhere, from Winterfell, yes, that was it, he remembered her now, and then he realized that he was in Winterfell, in a bed high in some chilly tower room, and the black-haired woman dropped a basin of water to shatter on the floor and ran down the steps, shouting, "He's awake, he's awake, he's awake." (Bran III, AGOT)

Of course, the crow transforming as a woman with long black hair is - for first and natural interpretation - Bran emerging from his coma and confounding the visions of his dream with the reality. Many of us must have experiment such confusing moment when we wake up slowly during a dream. 

I haven't yet explored all the implications on others female characters. 

That none of the dragonriders/heads of the dragon will have Targaryen blood. No, I don't believe it. I just thought it would be a huge twist.

That Tyrion is both Tywin AND Aerys' son because he's a tetragamic chimera...which would be pointless because it can't be proven in-world.

R'hlorr is the Bloodstone Emperor warging the red comet.

Bloodstone, heliotrope, is green and red- a blending of the CotF and reds brought bought out by the sun's light that evokes comet imagery to me. Heliotrope is also the name of a flower that could be a close match to his sister's eyes and perhaps his own if his moniker is not chosen for eye color.

Actually, that brand of crazy might be a bit tame by now. How about:

Dragons are the physical remnants of a magical event that transformed all volcanic activity on the planet into living manifestations of natural forces, and the Others are the same thing for the forces of glaciation of and the cycles of ice ages?

I do lots of crazy. One more:

The Drowned God is a circle of weirwoods that was submerged long ago and poisioned with Oily Black Stone by the Deep Ones to become something similar to the blue heart that Dany sees in the House of the Undying.

There was no rebellion in Castamere or Tarbeck Hall.  Instead, Tywin knew Lannister mines were having decreased/failing production, and the brutal extinction of both houses was actually a robbery.  Killing everyone, down to the smallfolk, was the only way to keep the secret, and Tywin's version of history has been embellished by maester's who want to suck up to the richest and most powerful lord in the 7K.

6 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

House Dayne are the ancestors of the Valyrians

original Ice= original Lightbringer=Dawn 

or

The falling star that was used to create Dawn was an ancient Westerosi dragon.

I think Dayne and Hightower have common ancestory with Valyrians. Mostly thanks to @LmL

47 minutes ago, LindsayLohan said:

There was no rebellion in Castamere or Tarbeck Hall.  Instead, Tywin knew Lannister mines were having decreased/failing production, and the brutal extinction of both houses was actually a robbery.  Killing everyone, down to the smallfolk, was the only way to keep the secret, and Tywin's version of history has been embellished by maester's who want to suck up to the richest and most powerful lord in the 7K.

I want this one to be true now but I think it should include Tywin employing the minstrels of Westeros as well as the Maesters to cover his misdeeds. That song is pretty catchy...

3 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Wow reading some of the above I don't feel so absolutely ashamed of myself for thinking dragon sex is how the Valyrians infused their blood with dragons! Thanks! 

Asking questions about dragon sex is perfectly natural at your age and nothing to be ashamed of.

7 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

or

I subscribe to that theory as well. I always thought there must be a reason why Grrm chose to mention an ancient "original" Ice. I also think original Ice=Dawn=Lighbringer is the reason why Grrm have been setting up the character connections between the Starks and the Daynes.

Just a couple:

I'm uncertain whether Taena Merryweather is just in Cersei's head for a lot of the time.  I'm sure that she's there in person at the beginning because she has dialogue with other characters who respond to her but in later chapters she either only speaks to Cersei, or if she speaks to anyone else there's no response.  I quite like the idea that Cersei has lost the plot so completely that she's now hallucinating people.

Another Cersei related one:  Cersei has suggested hiring a Dornish knight as master-of-arms for Tommen, who better for the job than Darkstar?  Sure, he's on the run at the moment but if he turns up at the Red Keep claiming to be Cletus Yronwood or William Wells who there is going to know the difference?  Cersei is just mad enough to allow some random Dornishman train Tommen, and if Tommen has some training mishap like falling off his horse, or being stabbed a dozen times, who is going to benefit the most?  Myrcella.  Thus Darkstar can complete the Dornish plot to put her on the throne without risking more bloodshed in Dorne.

7 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

or

Hey @Jon's Queen Consort, I didn't know you stumbled in this idea way back in 2013! Tip of the hat to you sir! We didn't have enough to piece it together until TWOIAF came out really, but there were clues about the Daynes form the very start. 

Did you ever see the full-blown version of the Great Empire of the Dawn theory I did with History of Westeros? 

I opened this thread expecting to read a bunch of ridiculousness.  All of these are pretty frickin' awesome! 

I thought Ny Sar "where the Mother Rhoyne gathers her wild daughters" was a jumble of "Sansa" and "Arya."  This was way before Seams Puns and Wordplay thread. 

Go from Sar, to Ny, and back to Sar:

Ny Sar = Arya

Ny Sar = Sansa

15 minutes ago, LmL said:

@ravenous reader, you may find my Jojen paste observations interesting. 

Very clever -- yes, I actually read it -- but not really a 'crazy notion'!

1 hour ago, Isobel Harper said:

I opened this thread expecting to read a bunch of ridiculousness.  All of these are pretty frickin' awesome! 

I thought Ny Sar "where the Mother Rhoyne gathers her wild daughters" was a jumble of "Sansa" and "Arya."  This was way before Seams Puns and Wordplay thread. 

Go from Sar, to Ny, and back to Sar:

Ny Sar = Arya

Ny Sar = Sansa

Hi Isobell -- can't believe you failed to mention your 'lemon cakes' anagram...I was amused to see you're increasingly warming to the idea of Littlefinger's 'semen cloaks' on one of the other threads!!!  ;)

26 minutes ago, ravenous reader said:

Very clever -- yes, I actually read it -- but not really a 'crazy notion'!

Hi Isobell -- can't believe you failed to mention your 'lemon cakes' anagram...I was amused to see you're increasingly warming to the idea of Littlefinger's 'semen cloaks' on one of the other threads!!!  ;)

I like to keep that one hidden in the closet. ;)

Archived