The Grammys 2017

Fragile Bird

Wait...there's no Grammy Awards thread? I'm...well, at the very least, surprised.

I may be the one and only person to post.  So be it. :P

I just watched the Bee Gees tribute. Damn it all, it was like the Elevator Muzzak version of a few of their songs. They couldn't find a single person to sing with fervor?

I was out to dinner so started watching late. So far people have avoided using a certain someone's name, but they may have used it earlier, I don't know.

I watched Beyoncé's performance, and it was glorious. She came out like a gloriously golden royal queen, sort of Egyptian (people can correct me on that), and gloriously, very, pregnant.

I am assuming Beyoncé will take the big prize, record of the year. She'd better!!!

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I was out to dinner so started watching late. So far people have avoided using a certain someone's name, but they may have used it earlier, I don't know.

I watched Beyoncé's performance, and it was glorious. She came out like a gloriously golden royal queen, sort of Egyptian (people can correct me on that), and gloriously, very, pregnant.

I am assuming Beyoncé will take the big prize, record of the year. She'd better!!!

Noooope. Beyonce may be a queen but Adele is apparently a Grammy goddess.

And WTF is going on with the world when Beyonce and Solange win equal number Grammies in the same year. (One each by my count.) Crazy.

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Patton Oswalt wins best comedy album! Love that guy.

Although the album he won for was one of his weakest imo.

But on to the real news, the people running the Grammys belatedly realized that they'd somehow never managed to give David Bowie a Grammy for his music, and tried to make up for it in one fell swoop. Not to say that he didn't deserve every single one of those Grammys tonight, because he clearly fucking did, but what those fuckers need to do now is go back in time and award him at least a hundred more.

the only thing weirder than Beyonce is the media's worship of her, she has to be the most overrated cultural icon of our generation

she could take a dump on stage and the media would call it flawless perfection

Adele even felt compelled to apologize for beating her out for an award. Like people are terrified of her.

1 hour ago, Commodore said:

the only thing weirder than Beyonce is the media's worship of her, she has to be the most overrated cultural icon of our generation

she could take a dump on stage and the media would call it flawless perfection

Adele even felt compelled to apologize for beating her out for an award. Like people are terrified of her.

Firstly, Lemonade was a tour-de-force, and, even more importantly, a cultural tour-de-force. The Grammys are supposed to recognize that kind of phenomenon.

Secondly, Adele won the big three: album of the year, record of the year and song of the year, which has never been done before Everyone, I think, was expecting some kind of split. I thought Beyoncé would get album of the year for Lemonade to recognize the power of that work. It's just like Bowie being ignored. Are they going to honor her after her death?

7 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Although the album he won for was one of his weakest imo.

But on to the real news, the people running the Grammys belatedly realized that they'd somehow never managed to give David Bowie a Grammy for his music, and tried to make up for it in one fell swoop. Not to say that he didn't deserve every single one of those Grammys tonight, because he clearly fucking did, but what those fuckers need to do now is go back in time and award him at least a hundred more.

I would have to agree regarding Oswalt. I guess you could say his situation is akin to Bowie's, just without the passing on part. He has made some really hilarious albums in the past.

1 hour ago, Dr. Pepper said:

This isn't surprising.  Most racist whites typically say something along these lines.  Usually when asked to articulate reasons why they think Beyonce is over rated they provide some subjective 'she can't sing' response.  Some actually describe her blackness as reason for her over ratedness.  She's  too black, she does black things, she does white things but makes them black, etc and it's all too scary for little ole racist folk.  

Curious what your reason is.  Why do you think her art hasn't provided a meaningful contribution to the world?

If we're just confining it to black females: Alicia Keys, Lauryn Hill, Whitney Houston, Mariah, Toni Braxton, Jennifer Hudson; all more talented and better singers. 

I also think for example Keys exudes class and female empowerment in her performances, whereas Beyonce's idea of empowerment is dressing scantily and thrusting about. We get it, you get laid and are proud of it, no one is impressed by your sex life. It's embarrassing and weird. 

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Firstly, Lemonade was a tour-de-force, and, even more importantly, a cultural tour-de-force. The Grammys are supposed to recognize that kind of phenomenon.

Secondly, Adele won the big three: album of the year, record of the year and song of the year, which has never been done before Everyone, I think, was expecting some kind of split. I thought Beyoncé would get album of the year for Lemonade to recognize the power of that work. It's just like Bowie being ignored. Are they going to honor her after her death?

Its not surprising Adele won it all. All the voters who didn't want a hip-hop album or Justin Bieber to win (so, for instance, all the rock musicians) didn't have any options other than Adele; whereas there are definitely some voters who'd prefer Beyonce over Adele but voted for Drake (or Bieber).

Because it doesn't get much mainstream notice anymore, I think the music press and the more vocal music fans have developed a huge blindspot to the fact that are still large numbers of people who only like older genres of music and dislike a lot of what's considered popular these days. And when they don't have their own horse in a vote, they'll back whatever the alternative is to that popular option.

One of the more entertaining examples of this was a few years back when Grantland was still a website and they had a fan-vote tournament for best song since 2000; with some of the writers taking turns each day with an article about the previous days results. Over the course of the event, they were increasingly flabbergasted as The Killers' "Mr. Brightside" kept beating song after song that they thought were much more popular and well-liked. It didn't win in the end, falling in the Final Four to Outkast's "Hey Ya," but the Grantland writers eventually conceded that it made sense for the song to make it so far. It was basically in the only rock song in a field full of hip-hop and R&B, and even though it wasn't a great rock song, everyone who liked rock kept voting for it out of principle. Same dynamic here with the Grammy voters.

Also worth noting, 25 has considerably outsold Lemonade, even though it didn't get talked about as much or for as long. Sort of like how CBS procedurals always get the best ratings on TV even though no one talks about them on the internet.

I've never seen anyone say Beyonce is too black, but possibly I missed such criticism.  I thought she would win for Lemonade, but if 25 out sold it, then that's probably the reason, since the music industry is constantly striving to stay relevant in the age of free music.  

Whether she was given the prizes or not, Bey slayed the grammys.

Find it most cool to see Goddesses on the front of the WaPo in these days when the city revolves around a woman-hating rapist.  Beyoncé knows what's up -- nor is she just sitting down at the table for the first time.  Go her!  Go women!

Didn't watch the whole thing.  Checked in for what we were interested in. Bey of course.  I do like Adele but she's catchy, whereas Beyoncé has scope. Of course latin jazz was't even in the damned broadcast and it's having such a golden age -- it is the best.  

I only saw a little of the show, best part I saw was 21 Pilots receiving their Grammy in the underwear. I was them taking their pants off and was like, WTF stunt  is this? Then he explained that years ago they were watching the Grammy's, before they were ever popular at all, and they were in their underwear and one said to the other, if we ever win a Grammy this is how we should accept it, then they did it. Talked about dreaming and achieving their dreams, pretty cool in my book.

37 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I've never seen anyone say Beyonce is too black, but possibly I missed such criticism.  I thought she would win for Lemonade, but if 25 out sold it, then that's probably the reason, since the music industry is constantly striving to stay relevant in the age of free music.  

As of June 2016, 25 had sold 20 million records worldwide (at least 8 million were in the US, since that was the reported US total back in February 2016). As of December 2016, Lemonade had sold 1.6 million records in the US with a negligible amount of sales worldwide beyond that.

Beyonce is one of the very few artists that can still go platinum, but Adele is an a whole other category. 21 and 25 are two of the highest selling records of all time.

3 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Funny, I'm not afraid of criticizing Beyonce.  But I'm also not an avowed racist, nor am I afraid of being labeled a racist.  Only racists are afraid of such things.  

This. She often just sounds like a screaming woman to me.

3 hours ago, Commodore said:

this thread proves why people are afraid to criticize Beyonce, you immediately get tarred a racist if you question her flawless perfect talent

Oh ye of sensitive skin.

Some thoughts:

I gotta admit, the entertainment media's portrayal of Beyoncé, and anyone related to her, as infallible can get a bit grating. This isn't a comment on her as a musician or as a person.

Am I the only person in the world who isn't completely sold on Adele being the Greatest Singer Of All Time? 

Headline I saw this morning stated that Chance the Rapper FINALLY won a Grammy. Come to find out that the Grammy he won was for Best New Artist. Given these two facts, how long could he have possibly been waiting for Grammy acknowledgment? Am I missing something?

Who are the Chainsmokers, and why am I supposed to be mad at them?

What's the cut off date for work to be considered for the Grammys in any given year? Will The Weeknd's Starboy be considered next year?

Archived