The Grammys 2017

Fragile Bird

2 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Am I the only person in the world who isn't completely sold on Adele being the Greatest Singer Of All Time?

No, you are not. I think she is a great singer, but the worship just goes way too far.

Chance the Rapper winning best new artist just doesn't sit well with me.

It seems to me that Adele herself isn't sold on the fact she is the greatest singer of all time either. 

I like her music well enough, but don't think she is the greatest singer out there.

Pretty much all of the tributes were awful. 

41 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Some thoughts:

I gotta admit, the entertainment media's portrayal of Beyoncé, and anyone related to her, as infallible can get a bit grating. This isn't a comment on her as a musician or as a person.

Am I the only person in the world who isn't completely sold on Adele being the Greatest Singer Of All Time? 

Headline I saw this morning stated that Chance the Rapper FINALLY won a Grammy. Come to find out that the Grammy he won was for Best New Artist. Given these two facts, how long could he have possibly been waiting for Grammy acknowledgment? Am I missing something?

Who are the Chainsmokers, and why am I supposed to be mad at them?

What's the cut off date for work to be considered for the Grammys in any given year? Will The Weeknd's Starboy be considered next year?

I guess some people felt that The Chainsmokers are a generic EDM group and its an outrage(tm) that they are even in the same room as Bowie's awards. I doubt Bowie would have have cared though, and apparently his son was fine with it. The part I'm less clear on, since I didn't watch the awards, is why they were the ones doing the accepting.

As for Chance, this was his third streaming-only mixtape, but this is the first year that the Grammy's allowed that format to be eligible for awards. And I guess the Grammy's decided that since this was his first eligible opportunity, he could compete for Best New Artist. But he's been pretty active for 4 or 5 years now; lots of guest spots too.

5 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Adele is probably one of my favorite singers ever, but I'm not putting her in the greatest of all time category.  She has an amazing voice.  

One problem with her is she isn't that great a lyricist.  I love her songs, but 25 still felt somewhat juvenile to me, especially when held next to Lemonade.

Beyonce is not alone for getting Grammy snubbed. The Grammies have been fu@k:ng up the award choices for decades now. Reading back through past winners theres quite a few that simply havent stood the test of time. And theres some of the greatest recordings and artists that have been passed over. 

This is an older story on Grammy snubs but I thought it was humorous. http://www.cracked.com/article_15856_the-7-most-unforgivable-grammy-award-snubs-all-time.html

16 hours ago, Fez said:

As for Chance, this was his third streaming-only mixtape, but this is the first year that the Grammy's allowed that format to be eligible for awards. And I guess the Grammy's decided that since this was his first eligible opportunity, he could compete for Best New Artist. But he's been pretty active for 4 or 5 years now; lots of guest spots too.

This is basically a result of the Grammy's being an industry award. The same industry has backed it forever and sees streaming and such as the enemy so the Grammy's were slow to recognize and react.

7 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Beyonce is not alone for getting Grammy snubbed. The Grammies have been fu@k:ng up the award choices for decades now. Reading back through past winners theres quite a few that simply havent stood the test of time. And theres some of the greatest recordings and artists that have been passed over. 

This is an older story on Grammy snubs but I thought it was humorous. http://www.cracked.com/article_15856_the-7-most-unforgivable-grammy-award-snubs-all-time.html

Yeah, personally the one that stood out for me was Metallica. I was in high school at the time and remember watching the Grammy's, maybe for the first time ever and when that was announced I was shocked. Hell I didn't even know who Jethro Tull was, had to ask my older brother, who BTW also said WTF. I wore out two And Justice for All tapes, yes tapes, and have since worn out a cd, listened to it so much I scratched it up, so I had to buy another one. That album was my introduction to heavy metal so when they lost I was just shocked.

It's not as if Beyonce has been really 'snubbed' by the Grammys, she has won almost 20 times.  So, the outcry is a little silly.  It's also not the first time in an awards show when the person everyone thought was a slam dunk didn't end up winning.  Lastly, it's not as if Adele sucks or something or is a flash in the pan like some of those other Grammy winners from the link, LOL.  Taste of Honey?  Chris Cross?  LOL.

Archived