OtherFromAnotherMother

A possible way for Arya to get to the wall (need help)

25 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Nevets said:

I have a theory that they are intending to manipulate her into being a source of assistance and information in Westeros.   In order to do this, they would either force her out or let her leave, but exact a price: that she help them in the future if they come to her.  Given that she is likely to be in a position of power and influence in the future, she would be a useful asset. 

It's either that or they are simply stringing her along until they can figure out why Jaqen sent her and what to do with her.

I reckon that is the case with all drop outs but the process is less nefarious than you are making it out to be. When the Kindly Man offers Arya this...

Quote

"You believe this is the only place for you." It was as if he'd heard her thoughts. "You are wrong in that. You would find softer service in the household of some merchant. Or would you sooner be a courtesan, and have songs sung of your beauty? Speak the word, and we will send you to the Black Pearl or the Daughter of the Dusk. You will sleep on rose petals and wear silken skirts that rustle when you walk, and great lords will beggar themselves for your maiden's blood. Or if it is marriage and children you desire, tell me, and we shall find a husband for you. Some honest apprentice boy, a rich old man, a seafarer, whatever you desire." Arya II, AFFC

...I believe the offer is genuine. The FM will help their acolytes who do not wish to continue or are not good enough and maintain a cordial relationship with them in return for hosting trainees, giving cover to assassins on a mission and reporting anything of interest. I imagine Brusco and Izembaro were once acolytes too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By boat from KL when she hears the plea for help Jon sends via Raven. She'll believe Jon and go to see for herself, the throne will disregard it. She'll be long clear of the FM by then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

I reckon that is the case with all drop outs but the process is less nefarious than you are making it out to be. When the Kindly Man offers Arya this...

...I believe the offer is genuine. The FM will help their acolytes who do not wish to continue or are not good enough and maintain a cordial relationship with them in return for hosting trainees, giving cover to assassins on a mission and reporting anything of interest. I imagine Brusco and Izembaro were once acolytes too.

I pretty much agree with this.  I expect that have a network of washouts they can call on if they need to.  However, I can't help but think that they figured out early on that she was unsuitable as an assassin and would be of more use to them as a contact, and never had any real intention of seriously training her.  

Of course, Jaqen may have expected that she would never make it to Braavos in the first place.  When he gave her the coin, the expectation was that she would be reunited with her family, probably at Riverrun.  Even if the Red Wedding was in the works then, and Jaqen knew (doubtful), Arya would likely have not been involved and been stuck at Riverrun.  He probably gave her the coin as a sort of favor, never expecting it to be used.  

8 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

By boat from KL when she hears the plea for help Jon sends via Raven. She'll believe Jon and go to see for herself, the throne will disregard it. She'll be long clear of the FM by then.

Why would she be in KL in the first place?  There is nothing for her there.  She's far more likely to end up in the Riverlands or White Harbor, where she might hope to find friends or potential allies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Nevets said:

Why would she be in KL in the first place?  There is nothing for her there.  She's far more likely to end up in the Riverlands or White Harbor, where she might hope to find friends or potential allies.

I think this depends on her motivation at the time. 

While I agree with you that she will seek travel to either the North ot the Riverlands, some big names on her list are still in KL.

Does she know that Tywin and Joffrey are dead? I can't recall at the moment. 

Also, have you found that quote about the Winterfell women in White Harbor? I briefly skimmed that Davos chapter and found no mention of it. It only gave me the quote I posted on page 1 of this thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

I think this depends on her motivation at the time. 

While I agree with you that she will seek travel to either the North ot the Riverlands, some big names on her list are still in KL.

Does she know that Tywin and Joffrey are dead? I can't recall at the moment. 

Also, have you found that quote about the Winterfell women in White Harbor? I briefly skimmed that Davos chapter and found no mention of it. It only gave me the quote I posted on page 1 of this thread. 

She knows about Joffrey's death and Tywin was never on her list.  The only major names left are Gregor and Cersei.  Gregor is officially dead, and there are many more likely candidates to take care of Cersei than Arya.  The other names on the list are: Dunsen, who hasn't been seen since ACOK; Meryn Trant (who cares?); and Ilyn Payne, who is actually in the Riverlands, and doesn't really belong on the list anyway.

Besides which, she has never sought out any of the people on her list, only targeting them if they happen to fall into her orbit.  I don't really see that changing.  I would, however, not be at all surprised if George had her encounter Ser Ilyn, though.

The only quote I found is from Davos IV, where Manderly says "From tine to time, some wench escapes and lives to tell the tale."   I would expect that most of his victims are from Winterfell.  Given that White Harbor is the closest population center to the Dreadfort, I am assuming that at least some of them made it there, which would be how the Manderlys know about it.  It is likely that the women have remained in the area, as they would have no other place to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.