Most Courageous Act in ASOIAF

Winter prince

After our recent discussion of cowardly acts, I wanted to see what people saw as the most courageous act.  Bare in mind that courageous can also be stupid, so the result doesn't necessarily have to outweigh the deed.  For a starting point I'll throw out Brienne taking on Rorge and Biter at the Inn at the Crossroads.  She faced basically impossible odds but dove into a fight anyway. 

Jaime saving Brienne from the bear is one of the bravest acts, without a doubt and in my top 3 - I  find it very difficult to pick just the one!

Brienne fighting the Bloody Mummers to defend the children at the Crossroads Inn is another.

Dunk beating the crap out of Aerion Brighflame to defend Tanselle.

Need to think some more.

Oberyn volunteering as Tyrion's champion.

Jon Snow attempting to hit it and quit it with a redhead Wildling.

Quentyn attempting to steal a Dragon.

"For Robert!"

Robar Royce fighting Loras to defend Brienne.

"Bear Island knows no king but the King in the North, who's name is Stark."

Just now, The Bastards Giant Friend said:

(No order)

Cortnay Penrose when parleying with Stannis.

Davos when freeing Edric Storm.

Brienne v the Bloody Mummers.

Jon Arryn calling his banners instead of turning over Robert and Ned.

If I had to choose, Brienne stepping out to challenge the Mummers.

Arryn and Davos, yes, how did I forget those? 

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

Arryn and Davos, yes, how did I forget those? 

Did you disagree about Penrose? I know the scene is a bit comical (I kept thinking of it similarly to Monty Python and the Frenchmen on the wall). But I admired his character in both staying loyal to his king and wanting to protect a boy.

I suppose you could say it is more loyal than courageous.

20 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

A few that come to mind:

Quorin Halfhand being killed to establish Jon's credibility in his mission…

Yoren refusing to surrender to Amory Lorch and Lannister soldiers…

I tend to go against options where the character may be committing suicide. Like Theon jumping off the wall. While I like qurin and yorens displays of duty, I don't know if they were especially courageous.

Qurin knew that they were going to torture him before ultimately killing him, and so he chose to spend his life doing something quicker but that might also lead to some good (Jon surviving, succeeding). Seems equal parts courageous, selfish, and prudent.

Yoren is sort of the same deal. He knew folks were looking for them because of the Queen regents orders. He had observed that nobody could be relied on to actually support the nights watch in that war torn countryside. So he made a logical decision that even though they didn't have any of the BtwB, it was likely they would be harried or even killed either way. It was probably more courageous of him to stand against the gold cloaks than Lorch.

I am not saying I disagree with their actions. Just not sure they were especially courageous.

Now, most acts of courage have a degree of selflessness that could be construed as suicidal. So it's always a balancing game as to the imminence of such a fate compared to the success of the goals. You could definitely turn around on my suggestions and use the same arguments that they were suicidal. Probably mostly for Brienne. But I still think she had a better chance than Yoren at achieving her goals (protect the innocent and bring to justice these criminals). 

Ser Waymar Royce easily takes the cake for both couragous act and stupid act all in one deed, the Royces seem to be one of the most honorable houses in Westeros. I always wished Sansa would tell Yohn Royce the truth about who she is he would have protected her with every fibre of his being, obviously Sansa chose the smart decision because she doesnt truly know Youn Royce but she does know her father held him in High esteem. 

28 minutes ago, The Bastards Giant Friend said:

Did you disagree about Penrose? I know the scene is a bit comical (I kept thinking of it similarly to Monty Python and the Frenchmen on the wall). But I admired his character in both staying loyal to his king and wanting to protect a boy.

I suppose you could say it is more loyal than courageous.

<snip>

I don't disagree, I think Penrose was extremely corsgeous! 

23 minutes ago, Stormking902 said:

Ser Waymar Royce easily takes the cake for both couragous act and stupid act all in one deed, the Royces seem to be one of the most honorable houses in Westeros. I always wished Sansa would tell Yohn Royce the truth about who she is he would have protected her with every fibre of his being, obviously Sansa chose the smart decision because she doesnt truly know Youn Royce but she does know her father held him in High esteem. 

In fighting the Other? I wouldn't call that stupid, he was already dead so might as well go down fighting.

Arya going back to save Weasel, Jaqen, Rorge and Biter during Lorch's assault.

Donal Noye defending the tunnel against the wildlings and Mag the Mighty pretty much alone.

fifteen year old Petyr Baelish challenging twenty year old Brandon Stark for love although he had zero chance to win.

Now he is a villain but once he was just a boy in love and he was willing to die for it .

That fight was over almost as soon as it began. Brandon was a man grown, and he drove Littlefinger all the way across the bailey and down the water stair, raining steel on him with every step, until the boy was staggering and bleeding from a dozen wounds. “Yield!” he called, more than once, but Petyr would only shake his head and fight on, grimly. When the river was lapping at their ankles, Brandon finally ended it, with a brutal backhand cut that bit through Petyr’s rings and leather into the soft flesh below the ribs, so deep that Catelyn was certain that the wound was mortal. He looked at her as he fell and murmured “Cat” as the bright blood came flowing out between his mailed fingers. (Catelyn VII”, A Game of Thrones)

Ser Raymun Fossoway was only a squire, but when he found out that his cousin switched sides during the trial by seven, he asked to be knighted in order to participate. He just met Dunk the day before and had no obligation to defend the Hedge Knight.

Keep I in mind that the seven included three dragon knights (well two if you exclude Ser Daeron) along with 3KG, and Steffen Fossoway. 

This was a fight to the death that even Dunk didn't want to participate.....but he had no choice in the manner. Set Raymun asked to participate.....and somehow survived when better knights (Hardyn, Beesbury, and Prince Baelor) perished.

1 hour ago, Horse of Kent said:

In fighting the Other? I wouldn't call that stupid, he was already dead so might as well go down fighting.

Arya going back to save Weasel, Jaqen, Rorge and Biter during Lorch's assault.

Donal Noye defending the tunnel against the wildlings and Mag the Mighty pretty much alone.

Donal Noye. I totally overlooked him, but definitely up there!

31 minutes ago, Winter prince said:

I love the responses coming from this! And it's funny that a lot of them are what I was considering leading with initially.

I also couldn't help but notice that no one has referenced the RW as a courageous act in here haha

The only somewhat courageous act I could think of with the Red Wedding would be Raynald Westerling releasing Grey Wind. But we don't even see it happen and don't know much about it.

I saw your cowardly post and someone said it was brave for Frey to go through with it, that's absurd.

35 minutes ago, Winter prince said:

I love the responses coming from this! And it's funny that a lot of them are what I was considering leading with initially.

I also couldn't help but notice that no one has referenced the RW as a courageous act in here haha

Courageous acts mostly happen in unplanned situations and it mostly involves rising up to situations. Courage by definition is the mental strength to face and persevere difficult situations. By that definition RW isn't courageous. It is daring but not courageous.

1 minute ago, khal drogon said:

Courageous acts mostly happen in unplanned situations and it mostly involves rising up to situations. Courage by definition is the mental strength to face and persevere difficult situations. By that definition RW isn't courageous. It is daring but not courageous.

It was a tongue in cheek comment referencing a discussion in a different thread.  I listed the RW as one of the most cowardly acts in ASOIAF

Archived