Most Courageous Act in ASOIAF

Winter prince

21 minutes ago, StepStark said:

Where does the text say that? Can you provide the quote?

Waddling to the door, he listened a moment, then eased it open slowly. A lamp burned in a stone niche, casting wan yellow light over the empty hallway. Only the flame was moving. Tyrion slid out, holding the crossbow down against his leg.

He found his father where he knew he'd find him, seated in the dimness of the privy tower, bedrobe hiked up around his hips. At the sound of steps, Lord Tywin raised his eyes.

Tyrion XI, ASOS

13 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

Waddling to the door, he listened a moment, then eased it open slowly. A lamp burned in a stone niche, casting wan yellow light over the empty hallway. Only the flame was moving. Tyrion slid out, holding the crossbow down against his leg.

He found his father where he knew he'd find him, seated in the dimness of the privy tower, bedrobe hiked up around his hips. At the sound of steps, Lord Tywin raised his eyes.

Tyrion XI, ASOS

And this is what I posted on the previous page:

We're talking about different things. Of course that he knew that Tywin is on the toilet when he didn't find him in his chamber. But at the point when Tyrion made the decision to abandon the escape and face Tywin, he had no way of knowing Tywin's going to be on the toilet.

So I don't know why are you insisting on something that wasn't an issue at all. I specifically said that at the moment when Tyrion made a decision to abandon his escape and face Tywin he had no idea that Tywin is on the toilet. You are talking about a completely different moment that occurred later, when he was already in Tywin's chamber and already killed Shae and went looking for Tywin who wasn't in his chamber. This phrase:

"He found his father where he knew he'd find him"

refers to the fact that Tyrion didn't find Tywin in the chamber and then logically concluded that Tywin is probably in the privy, because what other business could make Tywin leave the chamber in the middle of the night and let Shae in there all alone.

Sorry to say but it is absurd to think that that phrase actually means that Tyrion knew from the very start that Tywin is in the privy. It is basic reading comprehension to understand something so simple: Tyrion had no way of knowing that Tywin is not in his chamber and on the toilet, and only looked for him there after he didn't find him in the actual chamber.

2 hours ago, StepStark said:

And this is what I posted on the previous page:

So I don't know why are you insisting on something that wasn't an issue at all. I specifically said that at the moment when Tyrion made a decision to abandon his escape and face Tywin he had no idea that Tywin is on the toilet. You are talking about a completely different moment that occurred later, when he was already in Tywin's chamber and already killed Shae and went looking for Tywin who wasn't in his chamber. This phrase:

"He found his father where he knew he'd find him"

refers to the fact that Tyrion didn't find Tywin in the chamber and then logically concluded that Tywin is probably in the privy, because what other business could make Tywin leave the chamber in the middle of the night and let Shae in there all alone.

Sorry to say but it is absurd to think that that phrase actually means that Tyrion knew from the very start that Tywin is in the privy. It is basic reading comprehension to understand something so simple: Tyrion had no way of knowing that Tywin is not in his chamber and on the toilet, and only looked for him there after he didn't find him in the actual chamber.

And I said that there's no reason he should know for certain that Tywin is in the privy just because he's not in the bed chamber. The Hand of the King is on duty 24 hours a day. Any business could have come up at that hour. 

I was not saying that Tyrion knew where to find him at the exact moment he decided to climb the ladder. I was never saying that.

Nor did what you posted on the previous page specifically state that both sentences referred to the exact moment. Most people will say something in one sentence and then not follow that exact line of thinking in their next. I apologize for not realizing that you are not one of most people. Your issue with me isn't over basic reading comprehension but my lack of ability to read minds and automatically categorize people into who knows and uses all the rules of English grammar and who does not. Now...where do you stand on the Oxford comma? I expect we might agree on that one.

3 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

Tyrion XI, ASOS

Thank you, Horse of Kent.

The guys fighting in the Black Water battle, or any battle. Especially those on the field. During BWB, you could definitely tell they were terrified. I can't imagine being stuck on a field surrounded by people who are trying to kill me.

I also thought Sansa was very brave with Joffrey. She'd stick her neck out for anyone to protect them from him, even if it could cost her a beating.

On 13/2/2017 at 7:09 PM, kissdbyfire said:

Jaime saving Brienne from the bear is one of the bravest acts, without a doubt and in my top 3 - I  find it very difficult to pick just the one!

Brienne fighting the Bloody Mummers to defend the children at the Crossroads Inn is another.

Dunk beating the crap out of Aerion Brighflame to defend Tanselle.

Need to think some more.

These two, I second them.

5 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

And I said that there's no reason he should know for certain that Tywin is in the privy just because he's not in the bed chamber. The Hand of the King is on duty 24 hours a day. Any business could have come up at that hour. 

I was not saying that Tyrion knew where to find him at the exact moment he decided to climb the ladder. I was never saying that.

Nor did what you posted on the previous page specifically state that both sentences referred to the exact moment. Most people will say something in one sentence and then not follow that exact line of thinking in their next. I apologize for not realizing that you are not one of most people. Your issue with me isn't over basic reading comprehension but my lack of ability to read minds and automatically categorize people into who knows and uses all the rules of English grammar and who does not. Now...where do you stand on the Oxford comma? I expect we might agree on that one.

You're kinda mean.

Where do folks stand on Ned and Lady? It wouldn't be my first choice, but it was beyond honorable because he could have just consented with the king and keep the (figurative and literal) blood off husband hands. Takes courage to step up and do the right thing when nobody expects it.

On 2/14/2017 at 10:33 AM, Widowmaker 811 said:
  1. Bowen Marsh assassinating Jon Snow (Marsh being heroic and taking down a traitor)
  2. Barristan jumping down at the Pit of Daznak to draw the dragon's attention (fulfilling the role of a Queensguard)
  3. Daenerys riding Drogon, without saddle and stirrups 

I love your number 1.  He did it knowing the wildlings might kill him in revenge.

10 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Sorry but what are you talking about? This makes absolutely no sense at all. If you don't want to admit that you were completely wrong, then don't, but you don't have to be sarcastic.

8 hours ago, The Bastards Giant Friend said:

You're kinda mean.

<snip

There was nothing mean about that comment. 

3 hours ago, StepStark said:

Sorry but what are you talking about? This makes absolutely no sense at all. If you don't want to admit that you were completely wrong, then don't, but you don't have to be sarcastic.

It makes perfect sense, and I was not being sarcastic.

8 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Dany's decision to fight slavery.

This. 

IMO Danny's decision to fight slavery in SB is one of the most underrated acts in the series. Oddly, this is seen as a negative in many people's eyes. 

I'm tempted to add Strong Belaws' tactic of letting his opponents cut him once before killing them. I'm not sure if that act is courageous, stupid, or both.

Even though I am a  huge Jaime/Brienne shipper the bear pit didn't come to mind...what immediately came into my mind was Theon rescuing Jeyne. I actually cheered out loud when that happened (luckily I was not out in public!). He was so beaten down I'd almost given up on him. He was so terrified of Ramsey (with good reason!) I think what he did was extremely brave. 

On 2/13/2017 at 0:21 PM, Winter prince said:

After our recent discussion of cowardly acts, I wanted to see what people saw as the most courageous act.  Bare in mind that courageous can also be stupid, so the result doesn't necessarily have to outweigh the deed.  For a starting point I'll throw out Brienne taking on Rorge and Biter at the Inn at the Crossroads.  She faced basically impossible odds but dove into a fight anyway. 

Getting Prince Viserys and Princess Daenerys out of Dragonstone.  Then giving up his personal wealth and status to protect the royal children.  Caring for his king's children and raising them in Braavos.  Award goes to Ser Willem Darry.

Physical courage is a virtue that his highly valued in Westeros, but it is only meaningful when combined with moral virtue and true chivalrie as in many of the examples given above.  There are also examples (too many to mention) of men fighting bravely for unjust lords and lost causes.

in that spirit, I would like to nominate Sandor Clegane (for saying "hell no, I'm not doing this anymore"), Hizdahr za Loraq (for playing the long game), and all the Riverlands lords who capitulated after the Red Wedding.

Archived