Most Courageous Act in ASOIAF

Winter prince

19 minutes ago, Robert Baratheon's hammer said:

Sam slaying the other took a fair bit of bravery but many of these courageous actions come out of desperation and a fear of death which begs the question of how courageous is it really.

I'm not sure I agree that the prospect of death makes courage any less meaningful.

Bran thought about it. "Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?"

"That is the only time a man can be brave," his father told him.

Bran I, AGOT

36 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

I'm not sure I agree that the prospect of death makes courage any less meaningful.

Bran I, AGOT

Bravery often comes out of a deeper fear. In certain situations people confront a fear to prevent a worse fear. That's why I believe that sometimes bravery is just another form of desperation. 

6 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

Bran I, AGOT

Exactly! Fear is a powerful motor. Fear for oneself or for someone else. 

I very much agree with much of what's been said, but here's my slightly different interpretation:

How about Gilly giving up her own child to protect Dalla's baby?  Some might say that Jon didn't give her a choice so that's not courage, but I believe she was brave

And for that matter, Ned keeping his promise to his sister despite what people, and more importantly his wife, would think.

26 minutes ago, Neddy's Girl said:

I very much agree with much of what's been said, but here's my slightly different interpretation:

How about Gilly giving up her own child to protect Dalla's baby?  Some might say that Jon didn't give her a choice so that's not courage, but I believe she was brave

And for that matter, Ned keeping his promise to his sister despite what people, and more importantly his wife, would think.

:agree:

Those are good examples of bravery in my book.

Personally, it would have to be Qhorin Halfhand sacrificing himself in order to help provide to the guise that Jon was actually a deserter, even though they still strongly suspected Jon to not be an actual deserter.

Archived