Pretty Sure My iPad is Eavesdropping On Me... also stuff about Cancun

Myshkin

So the other day I'm watching a show about King Tut and all that cool New Kingdom Egypt stuff. It was pretty rad. Anyway, since that time all the ads I've seen on Facebook have been for things related to Egypt. Like seriously all of them. Egypt iOS games, Egypt documentaries, Egypt movies; Facebook is definitely under the impression that I'm super into Egypt. I can only think of one thing that would give them that impression. My TV isn't a smart TV, it's not connected to the internet in any way, nor is it connected to any other device in my house. So is my iPad listening to what I'm watching on TV, and then passing that information on to advertisers? Because that's fucking creepy. 

How are you watching TV? Cable? If so, it's probably your cable provider. Or you visited some Egypt-related web sites.

There was a story recently about Vizio smart TVs reporting everything you watch, no matter where it comes from (apparently using image recognition software to identify the content) but if your TV is not connected to the internet that's out of the question. 

I'm inclined to follow the same train of thought as Loge. I would suspect the cable provider if you get your internet from them as well if you didn't do any online Egyptioning.

If those possibilities don't seem likely, consider removing the Ipad battery. I often leave my phone in another room if I am having a private conversation because I don't know how to remove the battery.

Personally I find the 'tailored advertising' annoying as all hell, it's like they don't even know me.

But incognito mode and similar are becoming less effective because your IP address profile is tracked and info and associations attached. 

I use my work laptop at home on my wifi.  If my wife has been looking at clothes online on her iPhone or iPad, I will get related ads that same day on my work laptop when I'm connected at my office through our corporate network/firewall/etc.  sometimes I tease her about knowing for what she's shopping. Whatever profile has been constructed for me has associated all of our devices and all of our internet access channels. 

And since I recently ordered a valentines flowers delivery for my wife on private browsing mode on my iPhone (to keep it a surprise) on 4G while traveling -- not even my wifi, and a different ISP -- flower delivery ads have tracked me everywhere.  Two months earlier, my admin assistant ordered a gift basket for someone in hospital and gave my work email address with the order.  No cookies could have been anywhere near me, but I got ads for gift baskets for weeks.  So my work email address is associated with the same ad profile somewhere.  

At this point I think incognito or private browsing just sanitize your browsing history on your device, but your ISPs are tracking everything and pooling it all into an ad profile.  

The cable provider thing makes sense, except that my TV and Internet are through two different companies. Thinking about it I often google things while watching TV to get some more info, and while I can't definitively say that I googled Tut or Egypt, there is certainly a possibility that I did. But that raises another question. If I did google ancient Egypt stuff it would have been only the once, while for work reasons I've been googling the shit out of tropical vacation destinations all week. So why am I still getting ads for Egypt related stuff, and no ads for Cancun or Martinique? You'd think advertisers would be all over that shit.

Just now, Myshkin said:

The cable provider thing makes sense, except that my TV and Internet are through two different companies. Thinking about it I often google things while watching TV to get some more info, and while I can't definitively say that I googled Tut or Egypt, there is certainly a possibility that I did. But that raises another question. If I did google ancient Egypt stuff it would have been only the once, while for work reasons I've been googling the shit out of tropical vacation destinations all week. So why am I still getting ads for Egypt related stuff, and no ads for Cancun or Martinique? You'd think advertisers would be all over that shit.

Don't go to Cancun. Or, if you do make use of the cheap flight there head, down south to Tulum (2 hour bus) or Playa del Carmen (1 hrs bus). Alternatively, check out Isla de Mujeres. 

3 minutes ago, Relic said:

Don't go to Cancun. Or, if you do make use of the cheap flight there head, down south to Tulum (2 hour bus) or Playa del Carmen (1 hrs bus). Alternatively, check out Isla de Mujeres. 

Playa Del Carmen is the bomb. Quick ferry ride over to Cozumel, relatively short distance to to numerous Mayan ruins, great beaches, great food. Can't beat it.

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Playa Del Carmen is the bomb. Quick ferry ride over to Cozumel, relatively short distance to to numerous Mayan ruins, great beaches, great food. Can't beat it.

Playa is like the European Cancun, which makes it 5 times better than Cancun. But Tulum is way more chill and "real" than either of those. I would also recommend Caye Caulker, but its a bit of a trek from Cancun.

Whatever you do, don't stay at all all inclusive resort. 

https://www.justapack.com/the-exclusions-of-all-inclusive-resorts/

1 minute ago, Relic said:

Playa is like the European Cancun, which makes it 5 times better than Cancun. But Tulum is way more chill and "real" than either of those. I would also recommend Caye Caulker, but its a bit of a trek from Cancun.

Whatever you do, don't stay at all all inclusive resort. 

https://www.justapack.com/the-exclusions-of-all-inclusive-resorts/

I get this stance in terms of having an "authentic" experience and whatnot, but I can't say enough nice things about the Rui all inclusive resort at Playa Del Carmen. We went in the offseason (October if memory serves) and the price was really cheap. This was a number of years ago, so I can't say if this has changed significantly. Anyway, the food and service were absolutely amazing. The resort was in walking distance of the town (maybe a 10-15 minute walk) and you can catch the ferry to Cozumel in town. They had your typical bus tours to all the Mayan ruins and they even had local guides who you could hire for a more personal experience. All I can say is that is was really nice to have an air-conditioned, well stocked homebase to retreat to after a day of trekking around the Mayan Riviera. If you're not into roughing it, it really is a nice alternative.  

I get this stance in terms of having an "authentic" experience and whatnot, but I can't say enough nice things about the Rui all inclusive resort at Playa Del Carmen. We went in the offseason (October if memory serves) and the price was really cheap. This was a number of years ago, so I can't say if this has changed significantly. Anyway, the food and service were absolutely amazing. The resort was in walking distance of the town (maybe a 10-15 minute walk) and you can catch the ferry to Cozumel in town. They had your typical bus tours to all the Mayan ruins and they even had local guides who you could hire for a more personal experience. All I can say is that is was really nice to have an air-conditioned, well stocked homebase to retreat to after a day of trekking around the Mayan Riviera. If you're not into roughing it, it really is a nice alternative.  

Less to do with having an authentic experience and everything to do with how economically disastrous these resorts are for the locals of Playa, who were all fisherman 20 yers ago, and are now mostly just slaves to tourism. I wrote the article i linked three years ago, and i cringe at how clumsy my writing was when re-reading, but it's still valid in terms of depicting some of the economic devastation wrought by all inclusive resorts in the Yucatan. 

Just now, Relic said:

Nothing to do with having an authentic experience and everything to do with how economically disastrous these resorts are for the locals of Playa, who were all fisherman 20 yers ago, and are now mostly just slaves to tourism. I wrote the article i linked three years ago, and i cringe at how clumsy my writing was when re-reading, but it's still valid in terms of depicting some of the economic devastation wrought by all inclusive resorts in the Yucatan. 

Yeah, I kind of figured there was a sinister economic angle to it. 

Yeah, I kind of figured there was a sinister economic angle to it. 

Truly, the worst part might be that the resorts don't even hire locals. They hire people who have gone to hospitality school in Mexico city and shit. It's bad for the peoples of the Yucatan. Anyway, if you ever go back again I might be able to recommend a couple of locally owned hotels that might be almost as good as the resort. 

Archived