Pretty Sure My iPad is Eavesdropping On Me... also stuff about Cancun

Myshkin

7 minutes ago, Relic said:

Truly, the worst part might be that the resorts don't even hire locals. They hire people who have gone to hospitality school in Mexico city and shit. It's bad for the peoples of the Yucatan. Anyway, if you ever go back again I might be able to recommend a couple of locally owned hotels that might be almost as good as the resort. 

We are looking to go back although we haven't made any concrete plans yet. I can't speak for the Rui Playa Del Carmen as it was a good 5-6 years ago that we went, but the Rui resort that we just stayed at in Costa Rica was staffed by locals. We got really close to the waiter who always worked our station at the breakfast buffet and often gave him a ride home. He lived about 15 minutes away from the resort. All I can say is that the staff at both facilities were incredibly friendly and approachable. I get some of the criticisms made about these resorts, but I have to say we've had really positive experiences at Rui resorts.

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

We are looking to go back although we haven't made any concrete plans yet. I can't speak for the Rui Playa Del Carmen as it was a good 5-6 years ago that we went, but the Rui resort that we just stayed at in Costa Rica was staffed by locals. We got really close to the waiter who always worked our station at the breakfast buffet and often gave him a ride home. He lived about 15 minutes away from the resort. All I can say is that the staff at both facilities were incredibly friendly and approachable. I get some of the criticisms made about these resorts, but I have to say we've had really positive experiences at Rui resorts.

Nice pitch =P Where's your affiliate link?

Just now, Relic said:

Nice pitch =P Where's your affiliate link?

Not affiliated with them in any way, just a fan. Probably the two most enjoyable vacations I've ever had, at least since hitting my 40's. I'm just not as into roughing it as I was in my youth. Again, I understand the comparisons to cruise ships and the like, and I have no doubt that you are correct regarding their economic impact on the locals. 

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Not affiliated with them in any way, just a fan. Probably the two most enjoyable vacations I've ever had, at least since hitting my 40's. I'm just not as into roughing it as I was in my youth. Again, I understand the comparisons to cruise ships and the like, and I have no doubt that you are correct regarding their economic impact on the locals. 

Was joshin you. I understand the appeal. And I'm sure they would appreciate your TripAdvisor reviews =P 

Just now, Myshkin said:

I do freelance SEO. I also used to sell timeshare, so some of my regular clients are timeshare or travel club operators.

Are you an good at keyword research? Looking to hire someone for one of our clients. 

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I get this stance in terms of having an "authentic" experience and whatnot, but I can't say enough nice things about the Rui all inclusive resort at Playa Del Carmen.

Fun fact, the Rui in Cabo San Lucas is built right over were I used to live.

3 minutes ago, Relic said:

Are you an good at keyword research? Looking to hire someone for one of our clients. 

I used to do keyword research when my clients were mostly in the jewelry industry, but now I mostly just work with the keywords I'm given. In any event my client list is pretty full ATM.

3 hours ago, Relic said:

Playa is like the European Cancun, which makes it 5 times better than Cancun. But Tulum is way more chill and "real" than either of those. I would also recommend Caye Caulker, but its a bit of a trek from Cancun.

Second the recommendation of Caye Caulker.  We spent our spring vacation there last year and it was heavenly.

Only real complaint is sea grass (and the related sand flea problem) but those are certainly surmountable.

We went to Playa this time last year and stayed at the Fairmont resort, which was really nice. 

Despite the evil corporatism of the luxury resorts, it is pretty sketchy for wealthy tourists to leave those resorts.  The day trip to Chichan Itza was magnificent apart from the unnecessary hours tacked on to drag you to the worst restaurant ever and the tackiest gift stores -- no doubt with large bribes to do so.  A visit into the town of Playa itself felt unsafe and skeevy at pretty much every point, and that town is generally regarded as cleaner and safer and less of a tourist trap than Cancun.  I guess it depends how much you like shady street vendors pursuing you, and the omnipresent risk of armed mugging.

And don't forget that last year in Tulum, guests were evicted at gunpoint from hotel rooms as an armed gang showed up to enforce a legal dispute over title to the land under the hotel -- a pretty blatant extortion against the hotel owners, who themselves seemed to have played fast and loose with the real estate title and planning permission.

The unfortunate fact is that wealthy tourists attract parasitic behavior, which makes it more and more attractive to stay in the cloistered resort.  You can bemoan the loss of the innocent fishing industry, but why do westerners get to decide that developing nations should stay in poverty to protect that economic and cultural "innocence" that's so pleasing to westerners indulging in the current version of the noble savage fantasy?  These countries aren't natural preserves for poverty tourism, they're generally very motivated to build a thriving tourist industry, and the tourist region tends to have the lowest rates of illiteracy, infant mortality, unemployment and poverty in the country. 

12 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

The unfortunate fact is that wealthy tourists attract parasitic behavior, which makes it more and more attractive to stay in the cloistered resort.  You can bemoan the loss of the innocent fishing industry, but why do westerners get to decide that developing nations should stay in poverty to protect that economic and cultural "innocence" that's so pleasing to westerners indulging in the current version of the noble savage fantasy?  These countries aren't natural preserves for poverty tourism, they're generally very motivated to build a thriving tourist industry, and the tourist region tends to have the lowest rates of illiteracy, infant mortality, unemployment and poverty in the country. 

You are willfully missing the point, me thinks, with a typically knee-jerk and tired reply. This has NOTHING to do with poverty tourism or persevering culture (even tho the latter is pretty damn important imho), and everything to do with pure economics.

ALL INCLUSIVE RESORTS ARE (GENERALLY) ECONOMIC PARASITES. 

Locals are getting cut out of the windfalls by all inclusive resorts. Period. Full stop. You don't need to take this line of thinking any further. Tourists come and enjoy beaches locals don't even have access to, and the only people that benefit financially are the resort owners. All inclusive resorts are designed to keep your money within a closed system, and folks who stay in them rarely spend their money in local businesses. I personally think that's fucked up. it's like me pitching a tent in your front lawn but paying your neighbor for it, leaving you with nothing but my refuse when i pack up and depart. 

Does anyone else keep the webcams on their computers covered?  I always tape a piece of paper over mine.  On my tablets, too.  I'd do it with my phone, but it's a bit of a hassle since I use that camera somewhat frequently.  I often think about how I need to find a way to disconnect the mics on these devices as well, but every once in a while I like to say "I welcome my robot overlords" just in case it's recording somewhere and the robots take over.  I want to make sure they know I'm on their side.

6 hours ago, Relic said:

Locals are getting cut out of the windfalls by all inclusive resorts. Period. Full stop. You don't need to take this line of thinking any further. Tourists come and enjoy beaches locals don't even have access to, and the only people that benefit financially are the resort owners. All inclusive resorts are designed to keep your money within a closed system, and folks who stay in them rarely spend their money in local businesses. I personally think that's fucked up. it's like me pitching a tent in your front lawn but paying your neighbor for it, leaving you with nothing but my refuse when i pack up and depart. 

That wasn't true of the Rui beaches in both the facilities we stayed at (Carmen Del Playa and Guanacaste-Costa Rica). Both were accessed by locals who offered beachside massages, fishing expeditions, snorkeling, etc, etc. Near as I can tell there was kind of a gentlemen's agreement between the locals and the resort not to incessantly pester guests (they would typically handout little brochures with services offered and prices and give a quick little spiel, then back off) Anyway, both beaches were public. 

I think Eunuchman secretly works for the Rui. When I was still working in the vacation industry most resort towns in Mexico had local ordinances that disallowed all inclusive resorts from operating in or near the town centers/main tourist areas. Don't know if that's still true everywhere, but it's still true in Cabo. 

15 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

I think Eunuchman secretly works for the Rui. When I was still working in the vacation industry most resort towns in Mexico had local ordinances that disallowed all inclusive resorts from operating in or near the town centers/main tourist areas. Don't know if that's still true everywhere, but it's still true in Cabo. 

I don't mean to come off as a shill, but I enjoyed the living fuck out of both of those vacations. I was kind of surprised myself, as I hate cruise ships in general, but this particular resort incorporates all the pluses of the cruise experience (great food, drink, service) with none of the downside (being trapped on a boat for days at a time with folks you may or may not get along with) 

Archived