Advanced Crackpottery 4 - Daario Naharis: International Man of Mystery

Lady Blizzardborn

I've actually been thinking that maybe, just maybe, Aegon is a red herring and Daario Naharis is the secret Blackfyre, for actually him having dyed his hair blue, but you just pointed out some more points that actually further my belief that Daario is a Blackfyre.

I'm still not completely convinced, but this is a theory that I will have in mind when tWoW comes out and I'll try to look for more clues.

Well done with this theory!

Adding in some of the more minor quotes, as @Curled Finger requested. I'll say up front that I consider these minor because nothing about them says "hey this guy might be a dragon" but when taken in consideration with the quotes used in the theory, they add individual snowflakes to our potential avalanche.

This first set of quotes was going to be Round Five of Game of Quotes before I did a final edit.

ADwD, Dany IV:

“Better the butcher than the meat. All kings are butchers. Are queens so different?”

How many kings has Daario known? He seems to have definite ideas about how things should be run. And at one point Brown Ben Plumm wants to know what Daario (currently out of town) thinks of the battle plan for going against Yunkai.

"Not large enough, begging your royal pardon," said Brown Ben Plumm. "What does Naharis have to say? If we're going to make a fight o' this, we need his Stormcrows."

Brown Ben apparently respects Daario’s judgment on such things, to the point where he’s unwilling to give the go-ahead without hearing Naharis’ counsel on the plan. Does this mean something? I don't know. I mean sure, you don’t get to be a captain of a sellsword company by being a moron…except that his co-captains of the Stormcrows kind of were morons.

Add to these the quote from when Dany was saying Daario was right and she was wrong about how to deal with Jorah. Where did Daario get his ideas about ruling?

4 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I am going to gild this lillypot and put it on its own special shelf because of all the Daario theories, this one is the best:thumbsup:

I say we add a "Best Crackpot" section to a 2017 nominations voting thread.

Why thank you, TFL!

The year is young. I'm sure there will be boatloads of great crackpots to come. :)

8 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Adding in some of the more minor quotes, as @Curled Finger requested. I'll say up front that I consider these minor because nothing about them says "hey this guy might be a dragon" but when taken in consideration with the quotes used in the theory, they add individual snowflakes to our potential avalanche.

This first set of quotes was going to be Round Five of Game of Quotes before I did a final edit.

How many kings has Daario known? He seems to have definite ideas about how things should be run. And at one point Brown Ben Plumm wants to know what Daario (currently out of town) thinks of the battle plan for going against Yunkai.

Brown Ben apparently respects Daario’s judgment on such things, to the point where he’s unwilling to give the go-ahead without hearing Naharis’ counsel on the plan. Does this mean something? I don't know. I mean sure, you don’t get to be a captain of a sellsword company by being a moron…except that his co-captains of the Stormcrows kind of were morons.

Add to these the quote from when Dany was saying Daario was right and she was wrong about how to deal with Jorah. Where did Daario get his ideas about ruling?

Oh now those are wonderful quotes in this context.  And interesting indeed, that a man on the same level as a sell sword defers to Daario.  Lady, this is such clever detective work.   I don't know how you put this together, but it sure gives me hope that we may see TWOW someday and that it will be wonderful.   I waited a year for this and it has proven to be so worth the wait.   Good job.   Please if there are other "snowflakes" lay them on us.   

8 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I am going to gild this lillypot and put it on its own special shelf because of all the Daario theories, this one is the best:thumbsup:

I say we add a "Best Crackpot" section to a 2017 nominations voting thread.

Dammit Leech, I was thinking that myself.   You beat me to it again.   

18 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Dammit Leech, I was thinking that myself.   You beat me to it again.   

What did the daddy tomato say to the little tomato that kept falling behind, so he went over and stepped on him???

Ketchup:lmao:

That was terrible!   Still giggling.  Do you know why witches ride brooms?  Vacuum cleaners are too heavy.  I think my problem is time zones as I'm nearly dead last every time!   Thanks, that made the 6 year old inside me very happy.  

On 2/15/2017 at 9:55 AM, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Very cool find, Sea Dragon! I'm now putting Daario firmly in the "might ride Viserion" category. 

The parallel to Renly and Stannis is interesting in that Stannis refusing the peach can be considered symbolic of the two of them coming to a point where reconciliation is impossible. Daario on the other hand seems willing to let Dany take the lead. Of course she has dragons, but if Daario in genuinely love with Dany that would trump any designs he might have had on the throne.

First, kudos on an interesting and well-presented theory. I usually tune out Daario theories, but I really think you may be on to something.

I was thinking about the the same thing, (great find, Sea Dragon!) and immediately moved Daario from "betrayal for love" to "betrayal for gold". Maybe I'm just prejudiced against Daario. :(

Thanks, hiemal. I appreciate you taking the time to go through the theory. Well I appreciate anyone taking the time really. :)

I've thought for a while that Daario is a good candidate for betraying Dany, but as I've worked on this theory I've noticed how many times Dany wonders if Daario is going to betray her. It kind of makes me think maybe she's so focused on the possibility of him turning that he's the one person who won't.

A lot of people are prejudiced against Daario. I didn't think much of him until I saw that thing about GRRM saying there's more to him than meets the eye. Wouldn't you know I can't find a source on that quote now, thus I did not include it in the theory. Shame really because I had this thing about The George maybe meaning Daario is a master juggler. :D 

@Curled Finger there are more snowflakes to come. I've got another eliminated round from Game of Quotes, and then a bunch of tiny bits and pieces. If you want I'll add in some Daemon quotes that I found particularly cool in relation to Daario's possibly being descended from him. And if anyone's still interested at that point I may add the lines that take on a whole new meaning of Daario is a Blackfyre.

A sprinkling of more quotes. 

ADwD, Dany I:

The most crucial task of all she had entrusted to Daario Naharis, glib-tongued Daario with his gold tooth and trident beard, smiling his wicked smile through purple whiskers. Beyond the eastern hills was a range of rounded sandstone mountains, the Khyzai Pass, and Lhazar. If Daario could convince the Lhazarene to reopen the overland trade routes, grains could be brought down the river or over the hills at need … but the Lamb Men had no reason to love Meereen

This is pretty much a diplomatic mission. Granted, Dany ordered Daario to do it because she wanted him away from her, but still she wouldn't have done so if she thought he didn't have a chance of succeeding. Are sellswords always given such assignments? Well, maybe the smart ones are.

ADwD, Dany II:

She was a queen, and Daario Naharis was not the stuff of kings.

To me this smacks of Jon Snow being no Aemon Targaryen. 

ADwD, Dany III:

"She urges me to wed the noble Hizdahr zo Loraq."

"That one?" Daario chuckled. "Why not Grey Worm, if you want a eunuch in your bed? Do you want a king?"

Got a king lying around, Daario? You seem to be implying that Hizdhar doesn't qualify, so who does?

ADwD, Dany IV:

"He would make a monster of me," she whispered, "a butcher queen." But then she thought of Drogon far away, and the dragons in the pit. There is blood on my hands too, and on my heart. We are not so different, Daario and I. We are both monsters.

Monsters...or dragons?

ADwD, Dany VI:

"A hundred?" Daario chuckled through his purple beard. "I lied, sweet queen. It was a thousand. But never once a dragon."

Another poster pointed this out to me. Unless Daario asks a woman for her pedigree before going to bed with her how does he know he's never been with a dragon? Cause if there are Blackfyre and possibly Brightflame descendants running around, there could be some dragon women he's slept with...unless he avoided them until Dany. Can't think why he'd do that though.

ADwD Dany VII:

I would give up my crown if he asked it of me, Dany thought … but he had not asked it, and never would. Daario might whisper words of love when the two of them were as one, but she knew it was the dragon queen he loved. If I gave up my crown, he would not want me. Besides, kings who lost their crowns oft lost their heads as well, and she could see no reason why it would be any different for a queen.

This is funny because the Blackfyres arguable lost their crown, and often their lives, but not necessarily their heads. And why is it Dany is so sure that Daario wouldn't want her if she weren't a queen? She's supposed to be the most beautiful woman in the world. Self-esteem issues, Dany? Not that I'd blame her after living with Viserys all those years. 

I'm not sure she'd give it up. But I wonder why she hasn't considered the possibility that he'd never ask because he loves her (possibly, anyway) and believes she should be queen.

ADwD, Dany VII:

"Marry me, and we can have all the nights forever."

Would some nobody sellsword with only a gory death in his future really propose marriage?

I think seven quotes at a time are enough. :)

Thanks, Leech, and Leo! :)

Here, have another round of snowflakes...

ADwD, Dany VII:

"You are beautiful," she blurted as she watched him don his riding boots and lace them up. Some days he let her do that for him, but not today, it seemed. That's done with too.

"Not beautiful enough to marry." Daario took his sword belt off the peg where he had hung it.

Valyrian men are often referred to as beautiful. Shame if he's hiding his Valyrian looks and thus is "not beautiful enough to marry."  Poor Daario is really taking her rejection hard. You'd think a carefree sellsword who cares for no one and nothing would just laugh off the rejected proposal as a joke. Of course if he really loves Dany, then her not considering marriage to him would hurt no matter his background.

ADwD, Dany VII (wow, a lot happened in that chapter):

Sleep came hard, even when Daario came back, so drunk that he could hardly stand.

I'm really starting to feel sorry for Daario here. He seems like the kind of guy who drinks regularly and can hold his liquor, but look at him now. 

ADwD, Dany VII:

And Daario Naharis is only a sellsword, not fit to buckle on the golden spurs of even a landed knight.

Yeah, yeah, and Jon Snow is no Aemon Targaryen.

ADwD: The Kingbreaker, aka Barristan:

Better for Daenerys, and for Westeros. Daenerys Targaryen loved her captain, but that was the girl in her, not the queen. Prince Rhaegar loved his Lady Lyanna, and thousands died for it. Daemon Blackfyre loved the first Daenerys, and rose in rebellion when denied her. Bittersteel and Bloodraven both loved Shiera Seastar, and the Seven Kingdoms bled. The Prince of Dragonflies loved Jenny of Oldstones so much he cast aside a crown, and Westeros paid the bride price in corpses. All three of the sons of the fifth Aegon had wed for love, in defiance of their father's wishes. And because that unlikely monarch had himself followed his heart when he chose his queen, he allowed his sons to have their way, making bitter enemies where he might have had fast friends. Treason and turmoil followed, as night follows day, ending at Summerhall in sorcery, fire, and grief.

You forgot blood at the end there, Barristan. This quote certainly proves nothing. But I find it interesting that Dany and Daario are mentioned so close to Daemon and Daenerys I. 

I'd wager that no matter what happens with Dany and Daario, we're going to see sorcery, fire, and grief involved. And as I think I mentioned upthread, there's a kind of beautiful symmetry to both Daenerys' loving Blackfyre men and having to marry elsewhere. Also keep in mind that if Daario IS a Blackfyre descendant, madness or not he could decide to fight for his Dany, and in theory he has the blood for dragonriding. Losing Dany I was not Daemon Blackfyre's only incentive to rebellion, but it was part of it. 

A lot of the quotes throughout take on new meaning if Daario has Blackfyre blood, but here's another one that I find particularly interesting.

ADwD, Dany VII (again):

"I am your queen, and I command you to fuck me."

She had meant it playfully, but Daario's eyes hardened at her words. "Fucking queens is king's work..."

If he's descended from kings who never sat a throne, and he can't even tell her his blood is nearly as royal as hers...well then it's no wonder he went out and got drunk off his ass later.

And how about this one...

ADwD, Dany IV:

Daario shrugged. "Most queens have no purpose but to warm some king's bed and pop out sons for him. If that's the sort of queen you mean to be, best marry Hizdahr."

Seems like Daario has different expectations of what a queen can be and do than most men do. I find that curious because except for Nymeria and the Dornish through her influence, women in general on Planetos seem to be pretty much relegated to vessels for heirs. The only other exception I can think of is the Targaryen women, particularly back when they had dragons.

Aegon I was fine with letting his sisters run things except when there was a particularly difficult or bad situation. Alysanne was one of Jaehaerys' most trusted advisers. Rhaenyra was queen in her own right (subject to debate, I know). Even Maegor depended on Tyanna for things other than heirs (which he never got).

Prior to losing the dragons, the only Targ queens who lacked a role in government were Aenys' wife Alyssa, and Viserys I's wives Aemma and Alicent. Oh, and Helaena, but really she didn't get much chance to do anything considering what happened, so really I'm not sure she should count.

ADwD, Dany III:

Her face was warm. The wine, she told herself. Yet somehow she found herself thinking of Daario Naharis. His messenger had come that morning. The Stormcrows were returning from Lhazar. Her captain was riding back to her, bringing her the friendship of the Lamb Men. Food and trade, she reminded herself. He did not fail me, nor will he. Daario will help me save my city. The queen longed to see his face, to stroke his three-pronged beard, to tell him her troubles … but the Stormcrows were still many days away, beyond the Khyzai Pass, and she had a realm to rule.

Smoke hung between the purple pillars.

I did no editing for length here. After she thinks about Daario, we get the smoke between the purple pillars. Purple is a color traditionally associated with royalty. Aenys I worse purple and gold (coincidentally the colors Daario shows up with his hair dyed, half each color, at one point in ADwD).

That's seven again. Next time I'll add in the fun Prince Daemon quotes that remind me of Daario. 

13 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

But I find it interesting that Dany and Daario are mentioned so close to Daemon and Daenerys I.

I'd say this is pretty big. GRRM is all about history repeating itself, or the expectation of that getting in the way. For the first dany to have a Blackfire lover who's name is so close to daarios seems like wink from George 

On 2/16/2017 at 8:35 PM, Curled Finger said:

Oh now those are wonderful quotes in this context.  And interesting indeed, that a man on the same level as a sell sword defers to Daario.  Lady, this is such clever detective work.   I don't know how you put this together, but it sure gives me hope that we may see TWOW someday and that it will be wonderful.   I waited a year for this and it has proven to be so worth the wait.   Good job.   Please if there are other "snowflakes" lay them on us.   

Basically I searched the books for all mentions of Daario then copied the quotes and looked for supporting evidence. After that I had to prioritize what's more likely to be important and what's less likely or doesn't work without the other potential clues. Not every mention of Daario contains a potential clue, but an awful lot of them do.

And I've posted two more rounds of snowflakes. Wasn't sure if you knew, so I thought I'd mention it.

On 2/16/2017 at 9:16 PM, hiemal said:

First, kudos on an interesting and well-presented theory. I usually tune out Daario theories, but I really think you may be on to something.

I was thinking about the the same thing, (great find, Sea Dragon!) and immediately moved Daario from "betrayal for love" to "betrayal for gold". Maybe I'm just prejudiced against Daario. :(

A thought on this. Brown Ben's betrayal was for gold. Do you think we'll see another betrayal for gold?

9 hours ago, Aegon VII said:

I'd say this is pretty big. GRRM is all about history repeating itself, or the expectation of that getting in the way. For the first dany to have a Blackfire lover who's name is so close to daarios seems like wink from George 

Thanks, Aegon VII.  Don't remember if I included it in the theory, but in my notes I had a thing about how the list isn't chronological and the possibility of that having meaning. But it occurs to me today that maybe Barristan was just thinking of them in terms of the level of damage caused, rather than anything else. The order of thoughts occurring could certainly be significant but we can't know for sure at this point. *shrug*

Archived