Advanced Crackpottery 4 - Daario Naharis: International Man of Mystery

Lady Blizzardborn

22 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

940? See, this is why I didn't go looking. :D So really only Daario refers to her as "a dragon" without anything else added or being asked. Interesting. Thank you for going to all that trouble!

Sure.  I was too curious not to look.  lol  I have the quotes in a Word doc if you're interested in them.  :)

22 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

And that's dragons. Plural. As in more than one. Could be a subtle clue, or just included to keep with the rhythm GRRM had going with the plural dragons. If Hizdhar can be consort to plural dragons, I have to lean toward it just being turn of phrase rather than having some deeper meaning.

IMO using "Consort to Dragons" in his title refers to Dany only.  It's reasonable to apply to same logic to her "Bride of Dragons".  It could mean Jon, I'm indifferent to that idea.  But it could also mean Aegon, Daario, Tyrion or any hidden Targ, bastard or otherwise. 

On 2/25/2017 at 3:20 PM, DarkSister1001 said:

Sure.  I was too curious not to look.  lol  I have the quotes in a Word doc if you're interested in them.  :)

IMO using "Consort to Dragons" in his title refers to Dany only.  It's reasonable to apply to same logic to her "Bride of Dragons".  It could mean Jon, I'm indifferent to that idea.  But it could also mean Aegon, Daario, Tyrion or any hidden Targ, bastard or otherwise. 

Thank you but no thank you. :)

Great thread.  I enjoy the lighthearted tone, although I for one believe there is more to Daario than just another random guy.  But not Euron, although I must admit I was a card carrying Benjen member for a while.

Try this on:  Daario Naharis>>>Daarion Aharis>>>Daeron Jahaerys (sic?)>>>What does that even mean?

Also, early in Knight, when Dunk first gets to the tourney and is wandering around the pavilions, there is a Tyroshi with a blue, three-forked beard!  Again, I have no idea what that means, but it seems suspicious.  

On 2/14/2017 at 3:55 PM, Lady Blizzardborn said:

When Daario first arrives on the page, Dany thinks he’s flamboyant even for a Tyroshi. She should know, because she lived in Tyrosh longer than any other place, long enough that she has a Tyroshi accent.

As I have argued elsewhere, I think Daenerys's Tyroshi accent was a holdover from when the George had Daenerys's early years in Tyrosh, not Braavos, but I don’t think this is material to your theory, which so far, does not appear crack pot at all. 

On 2/14/2017 at 3:55 PM, Lady Blizzardborn said:

He’s got his blue three-pronged beard—the only three-pronged beard in the series, by the way—blue hair falling to his collar, gold mustachios, various shades of golden clothing, suede gloves, blue fingernail polish even. He not only attracts attention, he demands it. The guy is wearing Myrish lace, and his doublet has dandelion-shaped medallions. You don’t dress the way Daario does unless you’ve got money. Yellow is not the best color for practical clothing, and yellow suede gloves are definitely not intended for anything much more strenuous than waving. If House Naharis had house words, they’d probably be “If you’ve got it, flaunt it.”

Like Lysono Maar?

On 2/14/2017 at 4:01 PM, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Round Three: a note on betrayals.

Well that’s one for gold. And Jorah’s was for love of home. So if we don’t count MMD for blood, that’s the only one left. If Daario betrays Dany, it will be for blood. The only way that makes sense to me is if he’s a Blackfyre. If you’ve got a better explanation for Daario betraying Dany for blood, do let me know—there’s no chance I’ve thought of everything.

Also, is it just me or did Daario take this a bit personally? Which brings us nicely to round four.

I have different ideas about the three treasons, but this is your thread about Daario. :)

If you are saying that Daario is THE Blackfyre, then I wouldn't buy it. What would be the point? Illyrio and Varys (and the author) have invested all into Aegon. But I am totally on board with Daario being A Blackfyre. So, is this just going to be a little Easter egg, or is it going to impact the plot? 

2 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

As I have argued elsewhere, I think Daenerys's Tyroshi accent was a holdover from when the George had Daenerys's early years in Tyrosh, not Braavos, but I don’t think this is material to your theory, which so far, does not appear crack pot at all.

I agree!

Love this theory!

First I laughed it off but i think I might want this to be true just for the shock of reading the reveal and knowing I'll be like  "wait a sec I need to re read that"

If hes revealed as being of Blackfyre descent it's not like it isn't believable that he is ,  on the female line over so many years there could be loads of them running around Tyrosh , not being of the male line they probably wouldn't flaunt it , their claim to the throne would be weak and unsupported and it'd probably just mark them as a target for any paranoid kings.

If it is revealed I want to see a shocked Dany or Barristan "How come you never told us?"

Then Daario relaxed look on his face ,shrugging his shoulders "You never asked"

4 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Like Lysono Maar?

Yes. But with a bit more obvious symbolism. And Daario seems more trustworthy than Lysono does.

A high compliment. Thank you.

If you are saying that Daario is THE Blackfyre, then I wouldn't buy it. What would be the point? Illyrio and Varys (and the author) have invested all into Aegon. But I am totally on board with Daario being A Blackfyre. So, is this just going to be a little Easter egg, or is it going to impact the plot? 

The point would be either uniting the lines, showing once again how the Blackfyre supporters are getting it wrong, or far more likely pitting Dany against Daario. And of course there's always the mirroring of the first Dany who chose duty over her love for Daemon, but that doesn't have a big enough pay off for my taste.

I'm coming around to the idea of more than one Blackfyre. Three to match the three heads of the dragon seems fair, and it potentially corresponds to Moqorro's three pairings. 

I don't think the author has invested it all in Aegon, and I'm not convinced by argument that Varys and Illyrio are Blackfyres. I think Varys could be a Brightflame, but Illyrio is either conning his best friend and partner in crime (because he's a Blackfyre) or is just a greedy guy who has gone as far as he can in Pentos and is looking to find a new place where he can move up in the world...and get all the Westerosi cheese contracts in perpetuity.

As things stand at the moment Daario would not betary Dany. But if he develops the madness, or some nasty break occurs between them (You're a Blackfyre? Get out!), I could easily see him hopping on a dragon and making a claim for the throne. They'll either fight each other, or take down someone else together--be it Aegon or Euron. 

Thank you for taking the time to wade through this, and sharing your thoughts, LM. :D

1 hour ago, Magnar of the Dreadfort said:

Love this theory!

First I laughed it off but i think I might want this to be true just for the shock of reading the reveal and knowing I'll be like  "wait a sec I need to re read that"

If hes revealed as being of Blackfyre descent it's not like it isn't believable that he is ,  on the female line over so many years there could be loads of them running around Tyrosh , not being of the male line they probably wouldn't flaunt it , their claim to the throne would be weak and unsupported and it'd probably just mark them as a target for any paranoid kings.

If it is revealed I want to see a shocked Dany or Barristan "How come you never told us?"

Then Daario relaxed look on his face ,shrugging his shoulders "You never asked"

LOL. I like that idea. Glad you enjoyed it, Magnar of the Dreadfort. Cool username too!

I've told you in the past that I agree Daario is a Blackfyre. I believe that Illyrio is a descendent of Calla Rivers and Bittersteel and Daario is the descendent of Daemon's other daughter. They are cousins and Daario's background will be revealed when Illyrio greets him as a cousin.

On 2/27/2017 at 11:33 PM, Asshai Backwards said:

Great thread.  I enjoy the lighthearted tone, although I for one believe there is more to Daario than just another random guy.  But not Euron, although I must admit I was a card carrying Benjen member for a while.

Try this on:  Daario Naharis>>>Daarion Aharis>>>Daeron Jahaerys (sic?)>>>What does that even mean?

Also, early in Knight, when Dunk first gets to the tourney and is wandering around the pavilions, there is a Tyroshi with a blue, three-forked beard!  Again, I have no idea what that means, but it seems suspicious.  

Thanks. Glad you like it.

Something that I completely missed when reading it, probably because I wasn't look for it. That's potentially important because that tourney is a pretense for setting up another Blackfyre rebellion. Thank you for pointing that out!

21 minutes ago, bent branch said:

I've told you in the past that I agree Daario is a Blackfyre. I believe that Illyrio is a descendent of Calla Rivers and Bittersteel and Daario is the descendent of Daemon's other daughter. They are cousins and Daario's background will be revealed when Illyrio greets him as a cousin.

Will be interesting to see if this happens in TWOW. Definitely something to watch for when Illyrio and Daario meet.

1 minute ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

If he were a Blackfyre, would he be a more worthy consort? And if he knows he's a Blackfyre, why wouldn't he tell Daenerys? Would he be concerned that she might reject him because of it? 

He would be more worthy, but you've hit the nail right on the head. He would be afraid that if he brought it up she'd either accuse him of being a traitor, or deem him unworthy because he is descended from traitors and attempted usurpers. And on some level he might not want to admit to being from a long line of losers...cause the Blackfyres never won a single war. 

3 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Something that I completely missed when reading it, probably because I wasn't look for it. That's potentially important because that tourney is a pretense for setting up another Blackfyre rebellion. Thank you for pointing that out!

Will be interesting to see if this happens in TWOW. Definitely something to watch for when Illyrio and Daario meet.

He would be more worthy, but you've hit the nail right on the head. He would be afraid that if he brought it up she'd either accuse him of being a traitor, or deem him unworthy because he is descended from traitors and attempted usurpers. And on some level he might not want to admit to being from a long line of losers...cause the Blackfyres never won a single war. 

That Tyroshi at Ashford was an armorer "selling ornate helms, gorgeous fantastical things wrought in the shapes of birds and beast and chased with gold and silver. 

Wow! That could have been a foreshadowing of the Slaver's Bay plot, where Daenerys meets Daario and fights Ghiscari who tease their hair into such shapes. 

1 minute ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

That Tyroshi at Ashford was an armorer "selling ornate helms, gorgeous fantastical things wrought in the shapes of birds and beast and chased with gold and silver. 

Wow! That could have been a foreshadowing of the Slaver's Bay plot, where Daenerys meets Daario and fights Ghiscari who tease their hair into such shapes. 

Indeed. While on one hand it makes perfect sense for an armorer to sell helms at a tourney, it also has an interesting element of identity. The characters we've seen with unique helms always have helms that in some way coincide with their identities: Rhaegar's dragon wings; The Hound's hound; Gendry's bull.

There are two characters at Whitewalls hiding their identities: Egg the Targaryen, who is the dragon that hatches at Whitewalls, and Daemon the Blackfyre.  Add in the possible foreshadowing of the Slaver's Bay plot and we seen Dany growing and embracing her dragon heritage, one might say hatching, in the presence of Daario, a possible hidden Blackfyre.

We also have a KG connection. True Dunk wasn't in the KG yet, but it was Daemon II who dreamed of him in white armor, and he will later serve on Egg's KG. And of course Dany has Barristan. 

14 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

A bird, a beast, and gold and silver.  Great stone beast taking wing, breathing shadow fire?  Is the gold and silver an allusion to Targaryens/Valyrians?

On March 1, 2017 at 1:57 PM, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Thanks!  I'm sort of surprised to have contributed something.  I keep thinking the Dunk and Egg tales hold all the answers, but if they do, they are in the form of more riddles.

Might the Tyroshi armorer have something to do with the ornately wrought sword hilts Daario wields?  Maybe, like Ice, Blackfyre has been reforged, into two.  If this were the case, than we would finally have found a real Chekov's Gun, and they are hanging over Dany's bed.

I tried to answer my own question about the name.  Nothing super ah-ha, but, there have been a lot of Targs with DA----names.  With the way Martin plays with names, I'm still wondering.  Daarion Aharis / Daeron Jaharis.

Question:  Does the description of Daario returning that first evening with a bag of heads not stand out?  It always has to me.  Why belabor the description of salt-stained boots?  Everyone arrives by sea in Slavers Bay.  The notable descriptive exception would be if you arrived with boots stained with the dirt of the Doomed Lands or whatever they are called.  Are his boots extra notable?  Do they denote a longer journey to get their, or a lifetime on the sea?  Probably just a rabbit-hole.

Archived