Another idle thought

Illyrio Mo'Parties

Again, I don't know where to put this.

"You were never the boy you were," Robert grumbled. "More's the pity. And yet there was that one time … what was her name, that common girl of yours? Becca? No, she was one of mine, gods love her, black hair and these sweet big eyes, you could drown in them. Yours was … Aleena? No. You told me once. Was it Merryl? You know the one I mean, your bastard's mother?"
"Her name was Wylla," Ned replied with cool courtesy, "and I would sooner not speak of her."
"Wylla. Yes." The king grinned. "She must have been a rare wench if she could make Lord Eddard Stark forget his honor, even for an hour. You never told me what she looked like …"
Ned's mouth tightened in anger. "Nor will I. Leave it be, Robert, for the love you say you bear me. I dishonored myself and I dishonored Catelyn, in the sight of gods and men."
"Gods have mercy, you scarcely knew Catelyn."
"I had taken her to wife. She was carrying my child."

-- Eddard II, A Game of Thrones

Wait, what? Taken who to wife? Who's she?

This could be read two different ways:

1. I knew Catelyn well enough, after all, we were married and she was pregnant with my son

2. "Gods have mercy, you scarcely knew Catelyn, it's not that big a deal to cheat on someone you know." "But I didn't just cheat on her, I married her when "Wylla", my wife, was already pregnant with my son

Just to be clear, if there's a hint being dropped here, it's not from Ned to Robert, but from GRRM to the reader.

Nah.

That's where all the zillion silly tenses in the English language get to earn their money. "I had taken her to wife" - past perfect, something that happened before the principal action. "She was carrying my child" - past continuous, something taking place in background, while... "I dishonored myself and I dishonored Catelyn" - past simple, the foreground.

All in all, what Ned is saying here is, I married Cat, and then dishonored myself (with the other one) while Cat was carrying my child.

Here's why there's no question which woman he married: 

"...you scarcely knew Catelyn."
"I had taken her to wife."

Robert is brushing off Ned's comment about dishonoring Catelyn based on the fact that Ned barely knew Catelyn when Jon was conceived. Ned replies with absolute proof that Robert is a doofus. He had married and impregnated Catelyn. Fathering, or allowing everyone to think he fathered, a child with another woman after marrying Catelyn is what he is talking about.

If Robert had mentioned Wylla after mentioning Catelyn, then a case could possibly be made for another interpretation.

I see what you meant on that other thread about seeing things that aren't there. I think we all do that from time to time. 

5 hours ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

Again, I don't know where to put this.

-- Eddard II, A Game of Thrones

Wait, what? Taken who to wife? Who's she?

This could be read two different ways:

1. I knew Catelyn well enough, after all, we were married and she was pregnant with my son

2. "Gods have mercy, you scarcely knew Catelyn, it's not that big a deal to cheat on someone you know." "But I didn't just cheat on her, I married her when "Wylla", my wife, was already pregnant with my son

Just to be clear, if there's a hint being dropped here, it's not from Ned to Robert, but from GRRM to the reader.

Well, there's a theory out there that Ned married this "Wylla" (Ashara Dayne), who was pregnant with his child, making Ned's marriage to Catelyn invalid.  

Don't think I believe it though. 

4 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

Well, there's a theory out there that Ned married this "Wylla" (Ashara Dayne), who was pregnant with his child, making Ned's marriage to Catelyn invalid.  

Well depends if he married her under First Men traditions then married Cat under Faith of the Seven to safe Robert and the Rebellion.  Not sure how either religion would regard it, probably not well though.

6 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

Yeah, that's what I had in mind. Dunno if it's true or not but if you squint then this supports it

9 hours ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

Book of Meh

Right? I mean it's cool and all he fleshes out the Targaryen history. But, why couldn't this wait until after the main series is done? These histories tell rather than show. If we had to get anything else other than Winds, I'd prefer more D&E.

17 hours ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

Yeah, that's what I had in mind. Dunno if it's true or not but if you squint then this supports it

The key phrase to me is "in the sight of gods and men".  One interpretation of this phrase would be his wedding to Catelyn was a dishonor to her, presumably because he was married to someone else already, most likely secretly in front of a heart tree. I would prefer this to the clichéd and predictable R+L=J, as even Paris has been quoted as saying something along the lines of "Do you really think George would do something that obvious?", but it seems thin.

In a nutshell I think one of the biggest problems with our theorizing isn't that we are overthinking things based on the text, but that we are overthinking things in so far as GRRM being that clever. With the size, scope, and complexity of ASOIAF it's safe to say that a lot of these "hints" are likely author error.

Archived