If "R+L=J" is true, then what would Robert have done?

Emie

If it turns out R+L=J is in fact true in the books, then I'm kind of curious about what would happen if Robert had found out while still alive? What do you all think his reaction would be, if he didn't die but at a later time found out that Ned had been keeping the secret of Jon's true parentage? I apologize if this has been talked about before. 

3 hours ago, Emie said:

If it turns out R+L=J is in fact true in the books, then I'm kind of curious about what would happen if Robert had found out while still alive? What do you all think his reaction would be, if he didn't die but at a later time found out that Ned had been keeping the secret of Jon's true parentage? I apologize if this has been talked about before. 

I think at this point, everything has been talked about at some point so don't worry about it.

I think he will just have a heated conversation with Ned, but that will be the full extent of it. Would go something like this:

Ned you know what these bastards did to your family, to Lyanna and you keep one hidden from me?

Its Lyanna's boy, and she loved him, if you truly loved her you will drop this matter and never speak of it again. 

God's damn you fool, do you know what u have done?

The boy is a bastard, i have raised him as a bastard, he is my son and anyone who argues otherwise will be accused of treason.

Some more swearing, ends with Robert saying keep it that way Ned, or i swear yada yada yada threats.

Drinks? Yeah sure, and their pals again.

1. Robert wants the kid dead, and accuses Ned of treason for hiding the secret. At best the friendship is over and Ned spends the rest of his life fending off assassins, or has to send Jon overseas to keep him safe. At worst Ned loses his head and Winterfell is confiscated and given to someone else. Robb and Catelyn go back to Riverrun. Hoster spends the next 10+ years threatening to make Robb his heir if Edmure doesn't straighten out.

2.  If Ned hides nothing I imagine a major confrontation in the throne room in front of everyone, in which Ned tells him that Lyanna didn't love him and did love Rhaegar, that she was never harmed, and that her last words were to ask him to keep her son safe. Then Ned places the baby in Robert's arms, or on the floor in front of him, and tells him to go ahead and kill the only thing that's left of Lyanna. Robert would either order the child's death, which would be the death of his reign as king (and maybe his own death cause neither Ned nor Jon would let it happen), or break down and let the kid live. 

3. The fairytale version ends with Robert legitimizing Jon (probably not with the Targaryen name though) and naming him heir.

My best theory is that Robert would be pissed and telling Ned he wanted to kill Jon because Robert would assume the boy was a product of rape. Bed would obviously refuse and tell Robert that it was Leanna's dying wish that Jon be kept safe. At which point Robert would go off about he was still dragons blood, and was evil or something. And Ned those back something about him being a grandson of a Targ. Robert getting even more mad, and sending Ned away, until he needed him again. At this point, Jon would probably be at the Wall or on his way to the free cities, and all the Starks (including Catelyn) confused.

I think Robert would want Jon dead regardless of whether Jon is product of rape. I think the bigger question is whether Robert would want Ned dead. I'm not sure. A part of me think he truly loves Ned & would never harm him even if he found out about this issue. However, I could also see him killing Ned in a fit a rage and regretting it later

Robert is the kind of human force of nature that is born one in a century, a tornado of a personality, if you're close to him you better keep him pleased, if not get away and he won´t hunt you forever, tornados fade away with time...

To be honest, at that time post sack and lyanna's death news, the news about a possible r+l=j might be enogh for robert´s heart to give up and go on a suicidal war hunt in essos, and instead of jon being in danger of him, he would be of tywin

Interesting replies. Thanks everyone! I guess the real question is, would he let Jon be, if he knew it was the wish of Lyanna to keep her son safe, and if the conception was not an act of rape? Robert claims that he loved Lyanna, but would he love her enough to keep her wishes true? 

11 hours ago, Emie said:

I guess the real question is, would he let Jon be, if he knew it was the wish of Lyanna to keep her son safe, and if the conception was not an act of rape?

I don't think so. I even think it would be worse for Jon. I will explain.

"Well Robert, you know, Lyanna never loved you and even willingly escaped with on other just to not to marry you, and oh, they even concieved a child together so that, every time you'll look at him or think of him, you'll remember how far away she went so she will NOT have to marry you. And one more little detail, he has the last tragaryen prince blood too, yes the very same blood that would endanger your claim to the throne, so that's great, I know you will be cool with that".

I don't remember if it's a show or a book think when Robert said that he, somehow, consider that it was Rhaegar who won the battle because at the end, he was the one who had Lyanna. So I don't think he would ever accept that they also had a child together, out of love most of all, while Jon being a product of rape would potentially make him an other victim of Rhaegar and would had convinced Robert that the child will never know this very sad truth about his parentage.

15 hours ago, Emie said:

Interesting replies. Thanks everyone! I guess the real question is, would he let Jon be, if he knew it was the wish of Lyanna to keep her son safe, and if the conception was not an act of rape? Robert claims that he loved Lyanna, but would he love her enough to keep her wishes true? 

The problem is I just don't think Robert would accept this. He would deny it up and down short of hearing it directly from Lyanna, and even then there are better odds he falls down a rabbit hole of drinking and self-pity than come to emotional terms with it.

Archived