First Fantasy Book or Series

unJon

There is a set of children's books by Andre Norton called the Magic Sequence or the Magic Books,  each one is a different story with different characters.   Steel Magic, the one I remember best,  was about some children sent back in time to help King Arthur.  

3 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I think if he's read the first 2.5 Potter's he could read The Sword and the Stone. Not sure if the follow ups are, erm, age appropriate, but I think they sell the first one separately.

The TH White book Once and Future King? How did I forget about that book?? Great call DR. 

I agree with The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper suggestion.  But start with the first book "Over Sea, Under Stone" which skews slightly younger than the second book "The Dark is Rising".  I'd also recommend the Green Knowe series by L.M. Boston.  Its perfect for this age.  The first one is "The Children of Green Knowe".  Also the Magic series by Edward Eager starting with "Half Magic".

The Sword of Shannara Trilogy by Terry Brooks may be a good idea, would not recommend it to an adult but i do recall that when i was of similar age as your kid, The Lord of the Rings was fascinating but also very heavy read for me, however i was perfectly happy with Shannara books

I read Momo by Michael Ende for my seven-year old recently, and he enjoyed it. Great book, as it is one he can revisit later to discover new meanings.

We've also read The lion, the witch and the wardrobe, currently reading Ronia, the robbers daughter and planning on The Hobbit not too far in the future. He reads Roald Dahl by himself.

On 2/16/2017 at 11:53 PM, Leap said:

Hobbit is the obvious choice. Narnia is also a good option as long as you don't mind beating the Jesus out of them afterwards.

However, don't forget The Edge Chronicles, by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell. They're consistently well illustrated, really creative, fun and exciting. At that age your child fits right into the target audience. They also have a great theme of environmentalism, if that's interesting. 

Yeah at that age this was the series that really got me into Fantasy, i liked Harry Potter but The Edge Chronicles just blew my mind. Im not sure if they will hold up when being read as an adult though.

1 hour ago, Sheep the Evicted said:

Yeah at that age this was the series that really got me into Fantasy, i liked Harry Potter but The Edge Chronicles just blew my mind. Im not sure if they will hold up when being read as an adult though.

The Edge Chronicles most definitely holds up. I just reread a few of them... love that series.

18 hours ago, Ded As Ned said:

I started off with Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH around 3rd grade... then A Wrinkle in Time, then onto the Hobbit and LotR over the next few years.  

Ooooo forgot about those ones!

Beyond The Hobbit and some other classics, here are a few other series that my kids have really enjoyed when they were somewhere around that age:

Gregor the Overlander

Wings of Fire (this was a "can I please stay up and read this instead of going to bed?" kind of series for my 2 younger kids)

How to Train Your Dragon (may not really be fantasy, but it has dragons, and the few books of the series that I read to my son were way different and way more interesting than the movie)

Spiderwick Chronicles

Archived