SS-GB (new alt-history BBC drama)

Werthead

There's a big new drama series starting this Sunday. SS-GB is an alternate-history series based on Len Deighton's 1978 novel of the same name. The novel is set six months after a successful German invasion of Britain during WWII. Germany has not gone to war against Russia or the United States (yet), so there is a period of peace and rebuilding as Germany prepares for its next move and consolidates control of the UK. In the middle of this, a Scotland Yard inspector investigates what appears to be a murder and ends up caught between political and military shenanigans.

It's got a good cast: Sam Riley (ControlMaleficent), Kate Bosworth, James Cosmo and Jason Flemyng. Should be worth a look.

I can't wait to constanly compare this to "man in the high castle". Hopefully they will ignore the USA and Russia to the same extent that show does Russia and the UK. Although I'll concede a show needs to keep some focus to work.

5 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Will check that out this weekend, looks interesting.

But then again so did Taboo, and I've quit on that due to it being boring.

Out of all the shows I missed and need to catch up on, Taboo has managed to reach the bottom of the list. Thankfully iplayer's 1 month time-limit means I will get round to watching the remainder of it.

• 4 weeks later...

Caught up on the first three episodes. Some of the money shots (the Nazi flags draped over the ruins of Buckingham Palace) are really good and there's some solid performances in it. But the biggest problem is that the plot is meandering and too slow-moving, and it makes the same mistake Fatherland made (later on) that it too soon abandons the "detective doing detective stuff against an occupation backdrop" to make it all about the war and the alternative history and Big Stuff going on.

Also, Sam Riley is doing the Batman voice. For no reason.

Archived