US Politics: Deep State Solution

all swedes are racist

Essaheb: Under the priorities of the old administration, gang conviction is a basis for somebody to be a priority, but only under certain circumstances such as if the person was actually convicted of an offense, and that offense related to gang membership or gang activity. I think what we have here, which is how we read the entire interior enforcement executive order that the president signed on January 25, is this what happens when you have a shift to no prioritization for a law-enforcement agency, where anything and everything can be a basis to separate a family or deprive somebody of their liberty. I think what we’ve seen in this case, and frankly and what we saw in reaction to the Muslim ban executive order, is exactly the sort of chaos that we don’t want our government to contribute to, or to create.

What Immigration Raids Mean for Students
An immigration-law expert chimes in on how the recent detention of Daniel Ramirez Medina could affect students around the country who still benefit from the Obama-era policy.

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2017/02/why-was-a-daca-recipient-detained-by-ice/517134/

The Former Secretary of Defense Outlines the Future of Warfare

https://www.wired.com/2017/02/former-secretary-defense-outlines-future-warfare/

4 hours ago, Altherion said:

I addressed this in one of my posts above

'Addressed' is being kind. Really, what you said there is a watered-down version of what I said - that, in contradiction to your earlier claims about 'identity politics' being divisive, different groups can and do find common ground and work together on equality issues.

3 hours ago, Samantha Stark said:

Gun control doesn't work. You refuse to acknowledge it. 

Gun control works very well in nearly all developed nations. I'm not even sure there's one genuine counter-example. The simple idea that it doesn't work is considered a joke in many European countries. And I mean this as a "laughing out loud joke" : when I tell students there are people who really don't believe gun control works, they laugh, and grin, and make jokes about FoxNews. Because it's just that dumb.
Of course, it's hard to see how any law could have a serious effect in the US now that there are hundreds of millions of firearms in circulation. With gun culture, the NRA and the Republican Party, I'm afraid the US is screwed. Also, because of people like you who for some reason refuse to see that spreading lethal weapons in a society is a disaster.

22 hours ago, Einheri said:

That graph is from 2014. 
Anyway, of course the more country has welcomed work based immigration the more immigrant communities seem to be contributing.  
When we look at the unemployment rate and reference that to migrant origin, the data paints a bleak picture. 

37 minutes ago, Savannah said:

That graph is from 2014. 
Anyway, of course the more country has welcomed work based immigration the more immigrant communities seem to be contributing.  
When we look at the unemployment rate and reference that to migrant origin, the data paints a bleak picture. 

You can see the numbers from 2015 too if you click "latest year available". While I can't provide a more detailed image (i.e. with migrant origin) for Europe as a whole, I can however provide one for Norway, and I don't believe it's THAT much worse elsewhere in Europe. https://www.ssb.no/en/arbeid-og-lonn/statistikker/innvarbl/kvartal/2017-02-16#content

2 hours ago, Samantha Stark said:

I realize that you and others are used to these threads being left wing safe spaces, and that I am a particularly bruising debater

Ah, my sweet summer child. If only you knew the decades-long history of this board and the truly abhorrent bruisers we have had the pleasure of dealing with. I doubt you're a blip on anyone's radar here, probably because you're too open about what it is you're trying to do.

The federal government employs two million people; its sympathies move in more than one direction. While many federal employees may want to oppose the White House, others (especially border-patrol and immigration agents, whose support Trump often cited on the campaign trail) have already been taking some alarming liberties to advance the President’s politics. During the weekend when Trump’s travel ban was in effect, Customs and Border Patrol agents at airports across the country denied families and lawyers, and even members of Congress, access to people who were being detained under the order’s authority. They also exercised broad discretion in whom they detained. At the Vermont border, a Canadian citizen was turned around from a shopping trip after an agent confiscated her phone and found Arabic prayers on it. She was among many would-be border crossers who have been asked about their personal feelings toward Donald Trump.

These incidents have continued even after federal judges blocked the government from implementing the travel ban. In Atlanta, an immigration lawyer reported that Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents were going door to door in Hispanic neighborhoods, asking for documentation. In Los Angeles, agents were said to be at immigration court, asking the relatives of petitioners about their own status. In Alexandria, Virginia, agents showed up early Wednesday morning at a church’s hypothermia shelter, lined Hispanic men up against a brick wall, and scanned their fingerprints to find out if they had criminal backgrounds. In El Paso, agents detained a domestic-violence victim in a courthouse, where she had gone to seek a protective order. In Seattle, attorneys for a legal immigrant who’d been detained have claimed that I.C.E. agents used white-out to alter a form on which their client had denied being a gang member, to make it seem that he’d instead confessed to membership. If Trump’s opponents in the bureaucracy have been weaponized, then so have his supporters.

THE DEEP-STATE THEORY CUTS BOTH WAYS

While many federal employees oppose President Trump, others have already been taking some alarming liberties to advance his politics.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/benjamin-wallace-wells/the-deep-state-theory-cuts-both-ways

11 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

Ah, my sweet summer child. If only you knew the decades-long history of this board and the truly abhorrent bruisers we have had the pleasure of dealing with. I doubt you're a blip on anyone's radar here, probably because you're too open about what it is you're trying to do.

I'm clearly enough of a presence on your radar that you came here to post this. I mean the last time we spoke you ran off back to your safe space after profiling me! I believe the term you used was "my kind."

4 hours ago, Samantha Stark said:

Sandy Hook took place in a state that had strict gun control laws. Columbine took place during the height of the old AWB. It's not me that has the critical thinking issue. Sad!

As a former pistol permit holder in Connecticut, i can tell you that you are completely wrong that CT had strict gun control laws in place when Sandy Hook occurred.

Before Sandy Hook any adult in the state who wasn't a felon could walk into a store, by a long gun, wait the 5 days for the federal background check and come out with a gun.  And the pistol permits were a joke, some counties and towns issued them blindly, others where very strict.  

3 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

As a former pistol permit holder in Connecticut, i can tell you that you are completely wrong that CT had strict gun control laws in place when Sandy Hook occurred.

Before Sandy Hook any adult in the state who wasn't a felon could walk into a store, by a long gun, wait the 5 days for the federal background check and come out with a gun.  And the pistol permits were a joke, some counties and towns issued them blindly, others where very strict.  

So you have to be an adult and not be a felon and wait five days for a background check on top of their being a state level AWB? Is that somehow unreasonable and not enough gun control?

And there were counties that were harder to obtain a pistol permit and other where it was easier?

You do know that none of the above is the case in alot of US states, including the very idea of a pistol permit right?

30 minutes ago, Einheri said:

You can see the numbers from 2015 too if you click "latest year available". While I can't provide a more detailed image (i.e. with migrant origin) for Europe as a whole, I can however provide one for Norway, and I don't believe it's THAT much worse elsewhere in Europe. https://www.ssb.no/en/arbeid-og-lonn/statistikker/innvarbl/kvartal/2017-02-16#content

Norway does not represent Europe as hole. 

The Local,  April 2016

A new report has found that Norway beats its neighbours on integration, with better results in education, employment and income.

The report, based on data from OECD countries, was published by Norwegian research institute Inclusion and Diversity Directorate (Inkluderings- og mangfoldsdirektoratet – IMDi), and shows that Norway beats both Denmark and Sweden as well as a series of other EU countries on figures for immigrant education, employment and income.

But Norway’s relative integration success is not necessarily a direct result of country’s immigration policies.

The report said that Norway's strong economic growth and a large number of available jobs are the main reasons it outpaces its neighbours when it comes to integration. Additionally, Sweden has received the most refugees over the last ten years, while Norway has received the most working migrants, who are easier to get into employment."

11 minutes ago, Savannah said:

That's an odd question. 
Of course work based immigrant contributes more to the society unless you count attending consent classes a contribution

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of immigrants actually would be pleased if they could land a job, and to the bolded part, it seems to me like you’ve just broad brushed a large number of people based on the actions of some of them. Not cool.

6 minutes ago, Savannah said:

Norway does not represent Europe as hole. 

The Local,  April 2016

A new report has found that Norway beats its neighbours on integration, with better results in education, employment and income.

The report, based on data from OECD countries, was published by Norwegian research institute Inclusion and Diversity Directorate (Inkluderings- og mangfoldsdirektoratet – IMDi), and shows that Norway beats both Denmark and Sweden as well as a series of other EU countries on figures for immigrant education, employment and income.

But Norway’s relative integration success is not necessarily a direct result of country’s immigration policies.

The report said that Norway's strong economic growth and a large number of available jobs are the main reasons it outpaces its neighbours when it comes to integration. Additionally, Sweden has received the most refugees over the last ten years, while Norway has received the most working migrants, who are easier to get into employment."

Okay, maybe Norway is among the best in class, but that does not mean the others are train wrecks in comparison.

1 hour ago, Einheri said:

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of immigrants actually would be pleased if they could land a job, and to the bolded part, it seems to me like you’ve just broad brushed a large number of people based on the actions of some of them. Not cool.

You are acting like the consent classes directed to certain groups of migrants are somehow my fault. Not cool. 

1 hour ago, Savannah said:

You are acting like the consent classes directed to certain groups of migrants are somehow my fault. Not cool. 

You basically insinuated that all non-western 'certain groups' (I read this as Muslims) of immigrants contribute nothing to society besides taking part in consent classes, and while that is undoubtedly true for some, it’s not true for the majority of them, so you’re stigmatizing a large number of people, and that is never a good thing. (I mean, would you be happy if someone else did that to you?)

Edit: Fixed an error on my part.

Archived