A thought on the WOW prologue...

shortguy457

I know this is going to sound ridiculous because it's so not going to happen... but shouldn't the prologue be placed after the two big battles that were suppose to climax A Dance With Dragons? I mean I know it's a long shot but that was how it was originally suppose to go down wasn't it? I swear if they start on Daenerys and Jon's beginning story during the two battles, the whole thing is going to feel weird and oddly paced. Everyone's story should begin after the battles and this includes the prologue. Any thoughts?

EDIT: This is totally possible, I mean he did wait until midway through Dance to start showing the other characters from Feast, so isn't it entirely possible that he would stall the other stories?

A book is supposed to start with a prologue and although it makes sense in this case i don't see it happening it is gonna start with the prologue.

3 hours ago, shortguy457 said:

Someone please send this message to George! I swear if he fu** this book up like he did Dance and Feast im gonna be pissed. We don't need another out of place book!

Wait what??? Do you think he fucked up feast and dance?

Placing the prologue after the both battles would be a mistake. It would confuse the hell out of people, and he'd have to loop back and cover the battles anyway. I don't know about you but I don't want to read "Previously, in Meereen..." at the beginning of any chapters.

9 hours ago, shortguy457 said:

Someone please send this message to George! I swear if he fu** this book up like he did Dance and Feast im gonna be pissed. We don't need another out of place book!

You mean by separating them geographically? That would have been fine if it hadn't taken as long as it did to get Dance finished. 

And you might want to rethink saying the author, who is the god of his story, f-d up anything. It's his story. He is in charge. He has the final say. 

The content of the prologue may be happening at the same time of the two battles.

The prologues in these books tends to not be about the present interest of the book. There normally a side-story that will develop into a much bigger story that may impact some of the Povs in the future. Examples include the prologue of a Game of Thrones with the others or a Feast for crows with the faceless men.  

I believge that it has been confirmed that Jeyne Westerling will appear in the Prologue.  This suggests that it will take place in the Westerlands, and primarily concern events in the southern half of Westeros, which was the focus of AFFC.

4 hours ago, Robert Baratheon's hammer said:

The content of the prologue may be happening at the same time of the two battles.

The prologues in these books tends to not be about the present interest of the book. There normally a side-story that will develop into a much bigger story that may impact some of the Povs in the future. Examples include the prologue of a Game of Thrones with the others or a Feast for crows with the faceless men.  

Not necessarily.  The prologues in Clash of Kings and Storm of Swords tied in directly with the overall story, with Stannis at Dragonstone and Sam and the other Watchmen running from the Others, respectively.  I expect that to be the case this time, as there is limited new material left to develop by this point.

17 hours ago, Coolbeard the Exile said:

A book is supposed to start with a prologue and although it makes sense in this case i don't see it happening it is gonna start with the prologue.

Wait what??? Do you think he fucked up feast and dance?

Storywise do i think he fucked up feast and dance? hell no. The story and the writing is on par with the first three. Even the pace is okay, great even, i admire the slowness of the book after the fast pace of SOS. Structurally however i think it's terrible. He makes Feast not 1/2 of book 4 (book 4 being both Dance and Feast) but 1/2 of 2/3 of book 4. Leaving the final third of Book 4 a jumbled mess with characters all over the place, characters only getting one-two chapters, leaving some POV storylines iffy on whether or not it's the beginning of their story or an end. So it worries me that this is going to continue in the beginning or all of Winds. He needs to get back on track structurally which was the beauty of the first three books.

5 hours ago, shortguy457 said:

Storywise do i think he fucked up feast and dance? hell no. The story and the writing is on par with the first three. Even the pace is okay, great even, i admire the slowness of the book after the fast pace of SOS. Structurally however i think it's terrible. He makes Feast not 1/2 of book 4 (book 4 being both Dance and Feast) but 1/2 of 2/3 of book 4. Leaving the final third of Book 4 a jumbled mess with characters all over the place, characters only getting one-two chapters, leaving some POV storylines iffy on whether or not it's the beginning of their story or an end. So it worries me that this is going to continue in the beginning or all of Winds. He needs to get back on track structurally which was the beauty of the first three books.

I fully disagree! Dance is certainly the most profound book of the series and lies such a very strong groundwork for Winds that it may even difficult to reap all its fruits. Same with Feat, though I would allow that this one seems to contain more errors than other books and the storyline is not as well glued as with Dance.

If there is something that Feast&Dance failed is to build some groundwork for the Fall of the Wall and the Others invasion. This could have been done cheaply through off-hand comments, dreams, certain passages in Varamyr prologue etc.

Now, if you like pyrotechnic, certainly Feast&Dance are not your books. 

1 minute ago, rotting sea cow said:

I fully disagree! Dance is certainly the most profound book of the series and lies such a very strong groundwork for Winds that it may even difficult to reap all its fruits. Same with Feat, though I would allow that this one seems to contain more errors than other books and the storyline is not as well glued as with Dance.

If there is something that Feast&Dance failed is to build some groundwork for the Fall of the Wall and the Others invasion. This could have been done cheaply through off-hand comments, dreams, certain passages in Varamyr prologue etc.

Now, if you like pyrotechnic, certainly Feast&Dance are not your books. 

Dance is a profound book? Why?

1 hour ago, shortguy457 said:

Dance is a profound book? Why?

There are so many interwoven themes in Dance that makes the rest of the books simple in comparison.

31 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

what do you mean?

It is just a feeling, not that I have something hard to back it up

From top of my head. there is for example that ambiguous Sam's comment about Mance's son

"The boy was Mance Rayder's son and Craster's grandson, after all. He had none of Sam's craven blood."

Uh?

1 minute ago, rotting sea cow said:

It is just a feeling, not that I have something hard to back it up

From top of my head. there is for example that ambiguous Sam's comment about Mance's son

"The boy was Mance Rayder's son and Craster's grandson, after all. He had none of Sam's craven blood."

Uh?

lol... this is Sam thinking about who the child will be to his father....the child's alias will be Mance's son, and Gilly's son (therefore Craster would be his grandfather)

1 minute ago, Bonkers said:

lol... this is Sam thinking about who the child will be to his father....the child's alias will be Mance's son, and Gilly's son (therefore Craster would be his grandfather)

But then it's freaking and unnecessarily ambiguous! Maybe Mance is indeed Craster's son, the only one who escaped the Others grip.

IIRC there also was the contradictory appreciation about Jeyne Westerling hips by Jaime vs Cat, that was deleted afterward.

9 minutes ago, rotting sea cow said:

But then it's freaking and unnecessarily ambiguous! Maybe Mance is indeed Craster's son, the only one who escaped the Others grip.

IIRC there also was the contradictory appreciation about Jeyne Westerling hips by Jaime vs Cat, that was deleted afterward.

I think what was meant by the Sam comment was that this kid has nothing to do with Craster, but because Gilly will raise him Sam see's him as being Craster's grandson...through all she was taught etc.  If that makes sense?  So he will grow up without any influence from Sam being a craven.

The Jeyne Westerling thing is also odd I agree.  My interpretation was that it was a thought from two different POVs, therefore open to their own interpretation.  Although, I get the feeling that Jeyne may have been swapped out in front of Jaime....as he never mentions the other younger sister.  Only when she is fully cloaked and hooded does he see her on her horse, as she is pregnant and they didn't want him to see her. 

Was it deleted later?  I only have seen what my books have sorry.

Archived