Why did Aemon go to the Wall?

Quellon

He went by his own will, of course. Could he have had a bond with his uncle Bloodraven? And furthermore, why doesn't he ever mention his uncle in the books? I mean, he was a maester, he could have remained in King's Landing for the rest of his life or another more pleasant place. Why choose to follow Brynden to The Wall? It couldn't have been because of a feeling of duty. He must have been close to him and also because he is a Maestar and Brynden was interested in the arcane, they shared common interests and so bonded.

If he had stayed at the Citadel, he'd end up with 3 possible futures:

1. He becomes a maester to a random lord.  Immediately he's a hostage to the lord who can now make any demand they like to Aegon.

2. He's sent to King's Landing to become maester to Aegon.  Then he's usurped the position of Grand Maester potentially annoying a lot of other maesters, or he's seen as being the power behind the throne King in all but name, weakening Aegon's rule.

3. He stays at the Citadel and becomes an Archmaester, which might appear to look like the Targaryens extending their rule to the Citadel, true or not it would potentially cause a lot of political problems for the Targaryens.

By taking the black he took himself out of the politics of Westeros and strengthened Aegon's rule in the process by showing there was no other realistic contender for the Iron Throne.

What is honor compared to a woman's love? What is duty against the feel of a newborn son in your arms ... or the memory of a brother's smile? Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

my guess, it was over a woman. like 9/10 Targs who did something "illogical" to the reader.

there is no reference to Aemon ever being with a woman, yet he seems to be very well experienced in heartbreak.

I think Ser_Jon_General stated the case the best. The Wall was politically the best place for him. And if Aemon never spoke of Uncle Bloodraven, even in his dying delerious days, the idea of a special bond between the two is unlikely.

Did he not want to be considered for kingship? No doubt. He was described as weak and bookish in the Dunk&Egg books. By definition almost, a king has to be some kind of swashbuckling military hero.

4 hours ago, Quellon said:

He went by his own will, of course. Could he have had a bond with his uncle Bloodraven? And furthermore, why doesn't he ever mention his uncle in the books? I mean, he was a maester, he could have remained in King's Landing for the rest of his life or another more pleasant place. Why choose to follow Brynden to The Wall? It couldn't have been because of a feeling of duty. He must have been close to him and also because he is a Maestar and Brynden was interested in the arcane, they shared common interests and so bonded.

It was all about duty and there isn't much support for your idea that he followed Bloodraven to the Wall.  He didn't choose to follow Brynden to the Wall, Brynden was part of the "honour guard" (made up of prisoners from the dungeons including Bloodraven)  that King Aegon V sent to accompany Aemon to the Wall.

When King Maekar died he left such poor prospects for inheriting the throne that a Great Council had to be called to decide who to choose to ascend to the Iron Throne but all they had were slim pickings.  It really came down to choosing between Maekar's only surviving sons: Aemon I and Aegon 5.  Aemon had been sent to study at the Citadel when there were many strong candidates for the throne ahead of him, but shit happens and they all died by the time Maekar was killed.  He was bookish and lacked training in combat and battle.  His younger brother had been traveling about Westeros squiring for a hedge night and many of the lords who attended the Great Council considered him to be "half a peasant".  Aemon could see that the Aegon would likely be selected by the council to become King but that there would always be lords who wondered if Aemon might have been a better choice.  He chose to go to the wall to remove himself from the politics of King's Landing  so that there would be no temptation later on for factions to scheme and plot to have him replace his younger brother as King.

7 hours ago, Quellon said:

He went by his own will, of course. Could he have had a bond with his uncle Bloodraven?

They were family so yes

And furthermore, why doesn't he ever mention his uncle in the books? 

Because he died a long time ago. Like a lot of Aemon's family that he grew up with

I mean, he was a maester, he could have remained in King's Landing for the rest of his life or another more pleasant place. Why choose to follow Brynden to The Wall? 

Read the books. He didn't follow Brynden. He was asked to be king and said no, as ruling was not his thing, then he went to the wall to stay clear of courtly intrigue during Aegon's reign. Bloodraven went to the wall because he didn't like living in the black cells

It couldn't have been because of a feeling of duty. He must have been close to him and also because he is a Maestar and Brynden was interested in the arcane, they shared common interests and so bonded.

It was out of a sense of duty, loyalty and a desire to be above all else, a Maester 

On 19.2.2017 at 10:58 PM, Dorian Martell's son said:

They were family so yes

Because he died a long time ago. Like a lot of Aemon's family that he grew up with

Read the books. He didn't follow Brynden. He was asked to be king and said no, as ruling was not his thing, then he went to the wall to stay clear of courtly intrigue during Aegon's reign. Bloodraven went to the wall because he didn't like living in the black cells

It was out of a sense of duty, loyalty and a desire to be above all else, a Maester 

So, you are telling me, if someone doesn't want to be a king, the only option for him is THE WALL? Interesting...

4 minutes ago, Quellon said:

So, you are telling me, if someone doesn't want to be a king, the only option for him is THE WALL? Interesting...

Actually, he chose for this himself, as is also explained in the WIKI:

Aemon then chose to go to the Wall to take the vows of the Night's Watch for fear that he may be used in a plot to usurp his brother.

Also, of you check the wiki article on Aemon, you will see that he never aspired any power, which is one of the reasons he became a maester, and also not accepted a spot in the small council, and became a maester at Dragonstone instead.

14 minutes ago, Quellon said:

Only option?  Maybe not.  But it would appear that it was the option that made the most sense to Aemon.  He went to the Wall because he loved his brother and his realm.  He could have crossed the Narrow Sea into self-imposed exile I guess.

3 hours ago, Quellon said:

I'm not telling you, it is in the book, and it's specifically stated that Aemon went to the wall to remove himself from any potential intrigue in the succession process of the IT

3 hours ago, White Ravens said:

Only option?  Maybe not.  But it would appear that it was the option that made the most sense to Aemon.  He went to the Wall because he loved his brother and his realm.  He could have crossed the Narrow Sea into self-imposed exile I guess.

It was his only option if he wanted to be a Maester. How many Maesters live in Exile on essos, with no ravens to communicate with?

Archived