Characters apparently killed off-screen

Praetor Xyn

I did a brief search for something along these lines but couldn't find a similar topic. My apologies if it already exists.

I thought it might be fun or useful to compile a list of characters we presume are dead, but didn't actually see die and hence MIGHT be alive, Benjen Stark and Syrio Forel being the most famous examples. I also don't think we should count anyone who came back as a Wight and was dealt with, like Othor and Jafer Flowers.

37 minutes ago, zandru said:

Do you actually mean off SCREEN, as in the teevie series, or off PAGE, as in the books? Or both, with a note as to where?

Off page, sorry I didn't realize that was ambiguous. I've seen off-screen used to mean "we didn't see it happen" in the books so that's the way I was using it.

Illyrio's possible death has been mentioned before:

I could live for years on his rings, Tyrion mused, though I'd need a cleaver to claim them.

ADWD Tyrion I

One of the corpses was so fat that the ship's cook had to cut his fingers off with a meat cleaver to claim his rings. It took three Meadowlarks to roll the body into the sea.

ADWD The Merchant's Man

Seems legit.

It's said that Illyrio doesn't travel by sea because it "upsets his digestion", but I think we can call that a lie, because the first time we ever see him in AGoT he's traveled all the way to King's Landing just to chat with Varys. The first thing Tyrion says when he sees Illyrio is "A rotting sea cow", which immediately pairs Illyrio with seafaring. 

Benjen, Tyrek Lannister, and Ashara Dayne all disappeared under circumstances that are quite suggestive that they didn't really die.  I believe all three are still alive.

Syrio Forel and Stonesnake (Halfhand's man) were last seen under circumstances that make their survival highly unlikely.  I would be shocked if either were still alive.

Septon Chayle is probably dead, but I wouldn't be entirely shocked if he survived.

Sandor Clegane is most likely the Quiet Isle gravedigger.  

Given the statement of Beric's death and fact that Thoros has no reason to lie, I think he is really dead. 

2 hours ago, Beautiful Bloody Sword said:

What about Greywind and the Westerling guy that freed him in the aftermath of the RW? They both took arrows but jumped into the river while still alive, and haven't been heard of since, but didn't die on page.

Well they mounted Grey Winds head onto Robb's body, so I think we can agree he is dead. As for the Westerling he was shot a few times with a crossbow and his blood trail led into the river

3 hours ago, The Bastards Giant Friend said:

Old Nan is like a weirwood, time means nothing to her. But I think, as a reader, it is implied her part has passed. And that makes me sad.

Nobody wants to talk about what Weasel might know were she alive?

other names:

Arthur Dayne

Aegon (does he count?)

(Advanced tinfoil) Steffon

Tyrek 

If Old Nan has passed, then she better have told her stories to little Beth Cassel because somebody has to tell us the rest of the one about the Last Hero.

If you're including Steffon then you have to include Cassana as well. Same goes for Arthur, have to add Oswell and Gerold.

GRRM has said we'll learn what happened to Tyrek. Not a peep about whether he's alive or dead.

58 minutes ago, Livesundersink said:

Well they mounted Grey Winds head onto Robb's body, so I think we can agree he is dead. As for the Westerling he was shot a few times with a crossbow and his blood trail led into the river

Well, they mounted a wolf's head onto Robb's body, but the direwolf was freed and took arrows with Westerling, who were both bleeding and who both went into the river. If Greywind died in that encounter, he did so off page, same as the man who freed him. I don't think it was Greywind's head, but just a random and unlucky wolf who happened to be in the Riverlands, in close proximity to the Twins. 

I can just about accept that Syrio is probably dead, but Old Nan? Never! She may be as old as Methuselah but cold preserves! ^_^  She probably knows Winterfell better than anyone, so I reckon she's hiding somewhere like the crypts. 

In addition to the ones already mentioned...

Loras is reportedly close to death in Dragonstone, which is potentially a ruse if you ask me! 

Jojen is suspected by a lot of folk to be dead (#jojenpaste), but it's not ever said or even suggested by anyone in the book.  While he probably isn't long for this world, I don't believe he's already died or been killed off page without mention. (Not saying it's not possible though!)

We didn't see Balon Greyjoy die.  Pretty sure he is dead though.

Most likely candidate for fake dead, I reckon, is Ashara Dane.

17 hours ago, Beautiful Bloody Sword said:

Well, they mounted a wolf's head onto Robb's body, but the direwolf was freed and took arrows with Westerling, who were both bleeding and who both went into the river. If Greywind died in that encounter, he did so off page, same as the man who freed him. I don't think it was Greywind's head, but just a random and unlucky wolf who happened to be in the Riverlands, in close proximity to the Twins. 

I think Grey Wind would have been too big to use a normal wolfs head, but it could be that everyone around is just going with it fArya style.

Raynald lives, I hope.

Just to be real tinfoily though, you could point to ADWD Jon I, and say that he knows there are still 4 of 5 siblings even though he can't sense one (Summer underground?).

I think the characters assume Gerion is dead. But we don't see it.

Archived