What are Leyton Hightower and the Mad Maid up to?

Davjos

Like most of you I don't believe one of the most powerful Southtron Lords has gone crazy with his eldest daughter in his Tower. 

The Hightowers are one of my personal favourite houses because of their almost unending riches, them ruling a beautiful acient city, being Protectors of the Citadel, mostly peaceful and very pragmatic. They're also very mysterious. Although the sons  Brightsmile and Garland seem to have the defence of Oldtown under control(I do expect Oldtown to be sacked though) we have to wonder what the F Leyton is up to in his tower. He could be a senile old man, but I doubt that. 

So my question to you all is. Are there any accepteren theories? Is there any consensus? Are there threads I should read about this since I could not find any from the last few years and could you link them. And what do you think? My first ever post was a badly recieved theory that Leyton is developping some weapon, a magical Cannon of sorts. I just want to know what you all think! Thanks! 

Btw sorry for keeping it (too) short but I'm on mobile. 

1 hour ago, Lyin' Ned said:

My personal theory is that Leyton and the Maid are part of Marwyn's secret society of magic aficionados, maybe even his rich sponsors or something. 

This idea I could certainly get behind. Also would explain why the Other maesters haven't tried anything on Marwyn yet. Leyton Hightower has his back.

2 hours ago, Coolbeard the Exile said:

He is probably researching about how to defeat the Others and the Ironborn

I like that idea. They'd better step it up on the Ironborn part.

1 hour ago, Lord Wraith said:

This idea I could certainly get behind. Also would explain why the Other maesters haven't tried anything on Marwyn yet. Leyton Hightower has his back.

That definitely works.

4 hours ago, Lyin' Ned said:

There's a theory doing the rounds that they're Haldon and Lemore, but that's...I don't buy it. 

My personal theory is that Leyton and the Maid are part of Marwyn's secret society of magic aficionados, maybe even his rich sponsors or something. 

I like Malora as Lemore, but I don't think Haldon is anyone special. 

I don't really believe they've left the Tower or are posing as different characters since they haven't properly been introduced yet. Malora could be Lemore due to the name simmularities but that would mean people in Oldtown are just shitty at picking an alias (Alleras/Sarella). 

I do think they're doing something magical on top of that Tower. It's bottom is made from the same stuf Dragonstone is right(basalt)? But it's much older. That points to a connection with acient dragon(rider)s. 

I think they could be part of the Marwyn-Quaith glass candle circle. It could explain the words 'We light the way'. 

1 hour ago, Ethelarion said:

I don't really believe they've left the Tower or are posing as different characters since they haven't properly been introduced yet. Malora could be Lemore due to the name simmularities but that would mean people in Oldtown are just shitty at picking an alias (Alleras/Sarella). 

I do think they're doing something magical on top of that Tower. It's bottom is made from the same stuf Dragonstone is right(basalt)? But it's much older. That points to a connection with acient dragon(rider)s. 

I think they could be part of the Marwyn-Quaith glass candle circle. It could explain the words 'We light the way'. 

And Moat Cailin and Breakwater. 

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 3:17 PM, Ser Lockjaw of House Bolta said:

There's a theory doing the rounds that they're Haldon and Lemore, but that's...I don't buy it. 

Interesting.  Gotta link?

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 3:17 PM, Ser Lockjaw of House Bolta said:

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 4:41 PM, Lord Wraith said:

Also would explain why the Other maesters haven't tried anything on Marwyn yet. Leyton Hightower has his back.

I like it! 

I went and looked them up on the wiki and found a curious lack of ages/birth years for many of the Hightower clan, and particularly for Lord Leyton and Malora. Not having that information set or at least not having it available to the fans would make for serious flexibility. They could be anyone, anywhere. We can't rule anyone out, or zero in on anyone, because we don't know how old they are! :bang:

On 2/19/2017 at 5:53 PM, Universal Sword Donor said:

Settlers of Cataan or Risk I assume. Those games take long as hell. I would also entertain AD & D. 

I was thinking Diplomacy or the Game of Thrones board games. Those both take 4-5 hours, Catan is short by comparison. or Axis and Allies.

On 2/19/2017 at 10:37 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

I like Malora as Lemore, but I don't think Haldon is anyone special. 

Sometimes a Halfmaester is just a Halfmaester?

Tinfoil: They are involved with the mysterious Church of Starry Wisdom and will accidentally open the city to Euron, who is allied with the Deep Ones, performing some ritual meant to defend against him.

35 minutes ago, Lord Wraith said:

I was thinking Diplomacy or the Game of Thrones board games. Those both take 4-5 hours, Catan is short by comparison. or Axis and Allies.

Sometimes a Halfmaester is just a Halfmaester?

Oh man, I loved that game!

• 11 months later...
On 21/2/2017 at 4:30 PM, Ethelarion said:

Not convinced, but let's humour ourselves a bit: If Malora is truly Lemore, does that mean that the Hightowers are in bed with Varys and Illyrio? Did they help Varys spirit Aegon away? Part of it does make sense, since Lemore (Malora) is a Hightower and they are very influential with the Faith, so it's only natural that a Hightower would know a lot about the Faith and teach a certain someone about the Faith.

Or what if Aegon is actually a Hightower? We know from the past that there are some Hightowers who did look like Targaryens, so what if Aegon is actually just a Hightower?

This is one of those topics like Lemongate, where I've seen people get weirdly enraged by some of the theories and I simply can't wrap my head around why that is. The Mad Maid can't be Septa Lemore because Lemore has stretch marks and Malora's been a recluse for ten years! There's no way a highborn girl could give birth to a secret child while locked in a tower!

Oh. Right. 

Archived