What are Leyton Hightower and the Mad Maid up to?

Davjos

11 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

This is one of those topics like Lemongate, where I've seen people get weirdly enraged by some of the theories and I simply can't wrap my head around why that is. The Mad Maid can't be Septa Lemore because Lemore has stretch marks and Malora's been a recluse for ten years! There's no way a highborn girl could give birth to a secret child while locked in a tower!

Oh. Right. 

:lol:

On 2/19/2017 at 2:34 PM, Ethelarion said:

Like most of you I don't believe one of the most powerful Southtron Lords has gone crazy with his eldest daughter in his Tower. 

The Hightowers are one of my personal favourite houses because of their almost unending riches, them ruling a beautiful acient city, being Protectors of the Citadel, mostly peaceful and very pragmatic. They're also very mysterious. Although the sons  Brightsmile and Garland seem to have the defence of Oldtown under control(I do expect Oldtown to be sacked though) we have to wonder what the F Leyton is up to in his tower. He could be a senile old man, but I doubt that. 

So my question to you all is. Are there any accepteren theories? Is there any consensus? Are there threads I should read about this since I could not find any from the last few years and could you link them. And what do you think? My first ever post was a badly recieved theory that Leyton is developping some weapon, a magical Cannon of sorts. I just want to know what you all think! Thanks! 

Btw sorry for keeping it (too) short but I'm on mobile. 

Never apologize for brevity.  There are some pot-crackers around here who could learn that lesson and possibly get more responses to their theories by keeping their opening posts way down below ten or twenty-thousand colour-coded words. 

21 minutes ago, White Ravens said:

Never apologize for brevity.  There are some pot-crackers around here who could learn that lesson and possibly get more responses to their theories by keeping their opening posts way down below ten or twenty-thousand colour-coded words. 

Who you callin' potcracker, huh? 

On 19.2.2017 at 11:34 PM, Ethelarion said:

we have to wonder what the F Leyton is up to in his tower. He could be a senile old man, but I doubt that. 

most simple answer: He is a Targaryen loyalist (Selmy calls him that when he meets Dany) and waits for young Griff to land. 

30 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Who you callin' potcracker, huh? 

Read between the fine network of lines.

24 minutes ago, SirArthur said:

most simple answer: He is a Targaryen loyalist (Selmy calls him that when he meets Dany) and waits for young Griff to land. 

This rings true for me as well but I am also reminded that the Hightowers are a very ancient family.  They allied themselves with the Andals early on and embraced the Faith of the Seven but before the Andals arrived they were First Men.  Maybe there are secrets held in the labarynth of ancient passages snaking through the black stone below the Tower that have yet to be revealed and with those secrets may come alliances and loyalties that we have yet to be revealed. 

Whatever they are planning or making grow, that will face Euron. George has pretty well hidden that next battle, of which the Redwyne fleet is an appetizer. I can imagine Preston baptizing that great battle as the Battle for the Tower or something like that, since he likes to name things so much.

There's the option that Leyton is just pissing off fear at Hightower. He is an old man after all. His alias is the old man of Oldtown for some reason. Perhaps everything the Hightowers do is what the text shows us: the sons of Leyton (Garth, Baelor and Humfrey) are organizing the defense of the city and the region.

Or, there could be magic. Krakens & dragons. Sounds fun too.

Archived