Top 5 Favorite Characters (POV vs non-POV)

Needle of Ice

Hi everyone! I hope you're all having a great day.

I wanted to ask you all who your top 5 favorite ASOIAF characters are. I am very interested in how common it is for fans to favor more POV characters over non-POV characters and vice versa, so I thought it would be interesting to look at the ratios of POV characters to non-POV characters in the top 5 lists of fans. For a long time, I have had an interest in statistics, particularly as that subject relates to literature, so I thought this could be cool and informative, although not a perfect poll. So please list your top 5 favorite characters in order (if possible). If you don't have them ranked, that is totally fine, you can just list 5 characters in no particular order!

Mine are 

1.) Tyrion Lannister

2.) Jaime Lannister

3.) Brienne of Tarth

4.) Sandor Clegane

5.) Arya Stark

These are just the characters whose arcs I find the most interesting, although there are many other characters that I also enjoy reading about. So the ratio is 4:1 POV to non-POV characters for me.

Have a great day! Thank you for taking the time to read this!

9 minutes ago, Neddy's Girl said:

Struggling with the order but:

Ned Stark

Arya Stark

Jaime Lannister

Brienne of Tarth

Cat Stark

Can you tell I love the Riverlands?

I know these are all POV because I find it hard to put a character I don't know so well above those that I do.

That's a great list! Four of my five favorite characters are POV characters so I definitely understand what you mean. I think there are a lot of things we don't know about characters who don't have POV chapters so it can be harder to understand them at times. 

I also really like the Riverlands! The scenes there during ASOS are some of my favorites in the whole series.

I think it can work the other way round though.  Even though I enjoy Tyrion chapters, I don't really like him because I've seen his inner workings.  I think if I just observed him, he does some pretty good things, but knowing what is behind that makes me dislike him for the most part.

6 minutes ago, Neddy's Girl said:

I think it can work the other way round though.  Even though I enjoy Tyrion chapters, I don't really like him because I've seen his inner workings.  I think if I just observed him, he does some pretty good things, but knowing what is behind that makes me dislike him for the most part.

That's totally fair! I like Tyrion because I find his relationships with other characters to be really interesting and I enjoy reading about how he analyzes situations but he definitely does some questionable things that I don't like. 

Also, I thought I should add that like many other people, I didn't like Jaime until I read his POV chapters and got his perspective on everything rather than viewing him from the POV of other characters. And you're right that it can work the other way around too. I never liked Cersei, but she got worse for me after I read her POV chapters.

1) Jaime

2) Jon

3) Tyrion

4) Wyman

5) Arya

I like most of the characters though although my very favorites are the most clever. For a series with so many characters it is amazing how well developed they are while all feeling quite unique. In general I like POV characters more simply because you get to hear their thoughts and get to know them better. I like it when they one thing while thinking quite the opposite at the same time.

2 hours ago, Makk said:

1) Jaime

2) Jon

3) Tyrion

4) Wyman

5) Arya

I like most of the characters though although my very favorites are the most clever. For a series with so many characters it is amazing how well developed they are while all feeling quite unique. In general I like POV characters more simply because you get to hear their thoughts and get to know them better. I like it when they one thing while thinking quite the opposite at the same time.

I like your list! I really like that you brought up how amazingly well-developed each character is despite that there are hundreds and hundreds of characters. That continues to amaze me and it's one of my favorite things about ASOIAF. To understand the scope of how many characters the story has, one only has to look at the lists in the back of the books. The fact that fans of the series like the people on these forums can give such a detailed account of all these characters' lives, the history of their house, etc really amazes me. GRRM has done such a great job developing interesting and complex characters and a country with very rich history. 

Also, I agree with you about the POV characters. I personally tend to like POV characters more, but I still like a lot of non-POV characters, like Sandor Clegane. I also take an interest in many of the characters who died before the story began, like Rhaegar. However, I really like hearing a character's thoughts and comparing that to their actions, like you mentioned.

10 hours ago, The Fresh PtwP said:

This is hard...it made me realize how much my opinions change over years and with rereads.

1.) Jaime Lannister

2.) Tyrion Lannister

3.) Bran Stark

4.) Barristan the Bold

5.) Aegon VI Targaryen

That's a great list. I really like Jaime and Tyrion as well. When did Jaime become your favorite character? I think he became one of my favorites about midway through ASOS.

Archived