Top 5 Favorite Characters (POV vs non-POV)

Needle of Ice

48 minutes ago, Neddy's Girl said:

Is there a link to the Brave Companions then?

Fair enough, Doran is awesome.  It's fascinating to have such an introverted character who is also a badass.  I definitely warm to those kind of characters.

I've read so many books where people are exactly who they appear to be.  It's amazing to see how these characters' outwards appearance is so different to who they really are.

Oberyn Martell soldiered in the Second Sons for a time before forming his own sellsword company but that company is not named. I believe it was the Brave Companions. Mainly because they just did things antithetical to what a sellsword company should do (immediately killing Ser Amory Lorch and maiming Jaime, instead of ransoming both, and obviously maiming Jaime decreases his ransom) but that benefit the Martells. Qyburn was also with them, and there are lots of shady things about him, I think he's a Martell crony working to undermine Cersei.

One reason is that it's clear he doesn't have Varys's little birds after becoming Master of Whispers, as the only information he gives can be gathered around King's Landing and at the docks. Reports from all the 7 kingdoms besides Dorne just stop. Yet almost immediately after it happens he knows Euron won the kingsmoot and I think the only way he could know that quickly is via glass candle.

The only actors we can be reasonably sure are using a glass candle are Sarella Sand / Marwyn, and Quaithe, and I don't see any reason to think Quaithe would be working with Qyburn.

4 minutes ago, Needle of Ice said:

I also really like the Hound. Where are you hoping his story goes from here? (if you think he's still alive, support the gravedigger theory or the TV show's direction, etc)

A bit off topic. Yes, I do think that he is the gravedigger at the Quite Isle. Shite, I just finished that Brienne FfC re-read. I dunna know where Martin is gonna take him. All I know is that if Martin takes him off the Quiet Isle it best not be to save Sansa. If he dies while trying to save Sansa I will be saying foul profane things. AND I am still mad that Arya left him to die alone (which he didn't)

4 minutes ago, Praetor Xyn said:

Oberyn Martell soldiered in the Second Sons for a time before forming his own sellsword company but that company is not named. I believe it was the Brave Companions. Mainly because they just did things antithetical to what a sellsword company should do (immediately killing Ser Amory Lorch and maiming Jaime, instead of ransoming both, and obviously maiming Jaime decreases his ransom) but that benefit the Martells. Qyburn was also with them, and there are lots of shady things about him, I think he's a Martell crony working to undermine Cersei.

One reason is that it's clear he doesn't have Varys's little birds after becoming Master of Whispers, as the only information he gives can be gathered around King's Landing and at the docks. Reports from all the 7 kingdoms besides Dorne just stop. Yet almost immediately after it happens he knows Euron won the kingsmoot and I think the only way he could know that quickly is via glass candle.

The only actors we can be reasonably sure are using a glass candle are Sarella Sand / Marwyn, and Quaithe, and I don't see any reason to think Quaithe would be working with Qyburn.

That's an excellent theory and totally plausible.

1 minute ago, Clegane'sPup said:

A bit off topic. Yes, I do think that he is the gravedigger at the Quite Isle. Shite, I just finished that Brienne FfC re-read. I dunna know where Martin is gonna take him. All I know is that if Martin takes him off the Quiet Isle it best not be to save Sansa. If he dies while trying to save Sansa I will be saying foul profane things. AND I am still mad that Arya left him to die alone (which he didn't)

Yes, I'm just really invested in the Hound's storyline. I brought it up because I would actually really like some POV chapters for him in the future. I also think he is the gravedigger and I wouldn't mind too much if he saved Sansa but I would not like it at all if he died doing so. And I do wonder if the Hound would forgive Arya for that or if he will always be mad at her.

15 hours ago, Needle of Ice said:

That's cool! I think I started to take pity on him after he lost his hand and I eventually grew to like him a lot. The bath scene at Harrenhal was definitely when I realized how badly I (along with many of the characters in the books) had misjudged him. You're right, that was an incredible scene. When I was reading the first book, someone told me that Jaime might eventually become my favorite character because that was common, and I had a hard time believing it then, but now he is one of my favorite characters now that I know more about him and have seen his journey. I am really amazed by the fantastic arc that GRRM created for this character.

May I ask what your favorite scene with Jaime is?

Ha ha, someone told me the same!

I think the two I mentioned and his rejection of Cersei's appeal for help.  But I also really enjoy his scene with Edmure.  It shows what an intelligent and competent commander he is becoming.

Jaime's code of honour is so at odds with Westerosi society that even he thinks he has none - "Honour is a horse" - but he takes pains to protect civilian life, even though he is well aware that he utilitises his reputation as a heartless bastard to get people to toe the line.

I hate to bring down the tone, but Jaime is also the most bangable character for me!  Do you think that could be your next statistics project!?

15 hours ago, Praetor Xyn said:

Very interesting - thanks for expanding.

Is there a thread on this?

1 minute ago, Praetor Xyn said:

Not yet. I might do one but I don't have all my thoughts laid out properly at present.

Cool.  I would definitely be interested in that, even though in a way I don't want it to be true because Oberyn is awesome and the BC are a bunch of baddies.

Is Qyburn the spy in KL then?

1 hour ago, Neddy's Girl said:

Cool.  I would definitely be interested in that, even though in a way I don't want it to be true because Oberyn is awesome and the BC are a bunch of baddies.

Is Qyburn the spy in KL then?

To your second question, yes I believe so. He's more manipulator than spy, making it possible for and pushing Cersei to use a zombie as her champion.

As for the Brave Companions, that's the point. While working for the Lannisters hey sacked septs and did other sacrilege, the outrage at which is a huge contributor to the Sparrow movement starting, and also caused more hatred of the Lannisters by the smallfolk.

4 hours ago, Neddy's Girl said:

Ha ha, someone told me the same!

I think the two I mentioned and his rejection of Cersei's appeal for help.  But I also really enjoy his scene with Edmure.  It shows what an intelligent and competent commander he is becoming.

Jaime's code of honour is so at odds with Westerosi society that even he thinks he has none - "Honour is a horse" - but he takes pains to protect civilian life, even though he is well aware that he utilitises his reputation as a heartless bastard to get people to toe the line.

I hate to bring down the tone, but Jaime is also the most bangable character for me!  Do you think that could be your next statistics project!?

I agree, I really liked when he burned Cersei's letter. It showed how far he had really come. And that is an excellent point about his code of honour being so different from everyone else in Westeros and that leading him to believe he had none. At the end of the day, he is willing to put everything he has on the line to protect the innocent - the blip in that being when he pushed Bran out the window and probably some other things he did for Cersei. He becomes a much better person when they are apart. 

Haha, that would be so funny!

On February 20, 2017 at 9:24 AM, jthurman14 said:

This is my list as well. (sorry for heisting it) Only one small change. For Ed Tollett I would put the entire NW. Edd being in that list. Also with Joer, Gren, Quorin, Aemon, and Donal. 

No problem.  And I agree with the NW. Aemon and Jeor are close on my list and also the entire crew Jon leaves the Fist with is great. Steelshanks and the lot.  

#1: Catelyn Tully Stark - I love everything about her. 

#2: Brienne of Tarth - The character I share the most in common with, although in the opposite way (displaying many female traits while being a straight male can be tough, yo) [Also I liked her as a non-POV and a POV]

#3: Barristan Selmy - It got harder after 1 and 2, but I really like Barristan.

#4: Jon Snow - I hate to choose someone so popular, but I look forward to his chapters and although sometimes I disagree with him, many of his moves are awesome.

#5: Eddard (the bad game player) Stark - Boy did he piss me off, but he was also a likeable guy.

I sadly just couldnt put any non POVs, but Thoros of Myr and Beric Dondarrian were close (they basically kind of took each other out..as a duo they would be above  Eddard) Also honerable mention 2:

HM #1: Jhogo - There shouldbe more of him taking people out with whips and I would love if GRRM would humanize at least one Dothraki character some more, Jhogo or another bloodrider picking up the common tongue and having a personality other than fhe average dothraki could accomplish this.

HM #2: Tytos Blackwood - The last Robb supporter to give up, an honerable man with guts. Need to see him a bit more to put him on the list though.

Davos

Ned

Jon

Arya

Sandor

(with shout-outs to Jaime, Brienne, Varys, and Pod. And Old Nan.)

And since my favorite characters are so totally non-mindblowing, I will throw in the five characters who, although I may or may not like them very much, make for some of my favorite chapters, which ought to be worth something:

Pycelle

The Kindly Man

Roose Bolton

Barbrey Dustin

Wyman Manderly

Archived