Top 5 Favorite Characters (POV vs non-POV)

Needle of Ice

1. Arya

then depending on my mood/what I have read recently, any of: Jaime, Brienne, Dacey, Nymeria (the wolf), Bran, Jon, Ned, Wylla, Wyman, Davos, Stannis and Sarella to fill out my top 5.

So that is seven POVs and 6 non-POVs.

(Sorry for breaking the format)

10 hours ago, Rob Storm said:

1) Arya Stark

2) Tormund

3) Ed Tollett

4) Brienne of Tarth

5) Davos Seaworth

This is my list as well. (sorry for heisting it) Only one small change. For Ed Tollett I would put the entire NW. Edd being in that list. Also with Joer, Gren, Quorin, Aemon, and Donal. 

- Arya Stark (she's had the most interesting journey thus far.) 

- Tormund Giantsbane (his humour and general badassery)

- Theon Greyjoy/Reek (his chapters and the psychological struggle are fascinating to read)

- Davos Seaworth (His likability and journey have been fun to read) 

- Tywin Lannister - (Dudes a mastermind, a sociopath and a badass, what's not to love?)

1 minute ago, Ser Creep said:

- Arya Stark (she's had the most interesting journey thus far.) 

- Tormund Giantsbane (his humour and general badassery)

- Theon Greyjoy/Reek (his chapters and the psychological struggle are fascinating to read)

- Davos Seaworth (His likability and journey have been fun to read) 

- Tywin Lannister - (Dudes a mastermind, a sociopath and a badass, what's not to love?)

I really like that list! I like that you included Tywin Lannister. I don't like the way the he treats his children but I think he is an incredible character. He absolutely is a mastermind. I think the fact that we don't get Tywin's POV makes us wonder what he was really thinking, but that adds to his intimidating demeanor. I often wonder how much Tywin knew about Jaime and Cersei and what it would have been like reading his thoughts about Tyrion.

49 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

1. Arya

then depending on my mood/what I have read recently, any of: Jaime, Brienne, Dacey, Nymeria (the wolf), Bran, Jon, Ned, Wylla, Wyman, Davos, Stannis and Sarella to fill out my top 5.

So that is seven POVs and 6 non-POVs.

(Sorry for breaking the format)

That's okay! No worries, I can make that proportional to 5 characters. Just curious, but what is your favorite house?

11 minutes ago, Needle of Ice said:

Yes, but I feel like his priority was getting the House Baratheon away from the Iron Throne, particularly Robert (when he was alive).

Short term I think his priority was destroying the Lannisters. To name a few things I think he's responsible for:

• Oberyn poisoning Tywin with Widow's Blood
  • James hand being cut off
  • Tyrion beggaring the Lannister fortune to the Second Sons
  • Sarella Sand and Marwyn sending Lancel Lannister visions with a glass candle convincing him to join the Sparrow movement and confess the regicid 
  • Qyburn manipulating Cersei and creating Ser Robert Strong, exposing him as a zombie will expose Cersei as a liar and the Faith won't take kindly to Necromancy
  • Sarella Sand and Marwyn fishing for dragon lore in Maester Aemom's dreams with a glass candle
  • Ensuring Ser Robert Strong was Cersei's only choice as champion by incapacitated several King's Guard and the revelation of Ser Arys Oakheart dying to free up a slot for Ser Robert Strong at precisely the right time.
  • The Sparrow movement

As far as I'm concerned there are three factions in the game:

1. The Martells
  2. Varys / Illyrio
  3. Littlefinger

Favorite characters in no particular order

Mance – an enigma

Hound – starting with GoT when he said while sitting atop his horse referring to Tyrion: "A voice from nowhere," Sandor said. He peered through his helm, looking this way and that. "Spirits of the air!"

Bronn – merely states his truth and the banter between him & Tryion is comical

Asha & Osha – free spirits, savvy about the world in which they live

Jaime – his POV’s carry a lot of diverse information

They all are cynical & observant & lethal. ASOIAF is filled full of interesting characters. If I replied next week I might change my mind. Mance & Sandor are my favorite characters. One of my top curiosities is the how and why BR came to be in that cave.

2 hours ago, Needle of Ice said:

That's okay! No worries, I can make that proportional to 5 characters. Just curious, but what is your favorite house?

The Starks. I also like Manderly, Reed, Martell and most the Lannisters.

4 hours ago, Needle of Ice said:

That's a great list. I really like Jaime and Tyrion as well. When did Jaime become your favorite character? I think he became one of my favorites about midway through ASOS.

If I may butt in slightly...  my Jaime infatuation began as early as Catelyn's ACOK chapter where she releases him from Riverrun.  And in ASOS, his scene in the bath is just amazing.

2 hours ago, Praetor Xyn said:

Short term I think his priority was destroying the Lannisters. To name a few things I think he's responsible for:

• Sarella Sand and Marwyn sending Lancel Lannister visions with a glass candle convincing him to join the Sparrow movement and confess the regicid 
  • Qyburn manipulating Cersei and creating Ser Robert Strong, exposing him as a zombie will expose Cersei as a liar and the Faith won't take kindly to Necromancy
  • Sarella Sand and Marwyn fishing for dragon lore in Maester Aemom's dreams with a glass candle
  • Ensuring Ser Robert Strong was Cersei's only choice as champion by incapacitated several King's Guard and the revelation of Ser Arys Oakheart dying to free up a slot for Ser Robert Strong at precisely the right time.
  • The Sparrow movement

1. The Martells
  2. Varys / Illyrio
  3. Littlefinger

Is there a link to the Brave Companions then?

Fair enough, Doran is awesome.  It's fascinating to have such an introverted character who is also a badass.  I definitely warm to those kind of characters.

I've read so many books where people are exactly who they appear to be.  It's amazing to see how these characters' outwards appearance is so different to who they really are.

3 hours ago, Praetor Xyn said:

• The Sparrow movement

1. The Martells
  2. Varys / Illyrio
  3. Littlefinger

That's really interesting! I did not suspect that Doran Martell had anything to do with Jaime losing his hand but that's a very interesting point. That's a cool theory. I will definitely read up on that. 

Also, I agree that those are the three main factions in the game setting off most of the events.

32 minutes ago, Neddy's Girl said:

If I may butt in slightly...  my Jaime infatuation began as early as Catelyn's ACOK chapter where she releases him from Riverrun.  And in ASOS, his scene in the bath is just amazing.

That's cool! I think I started to take pity on him after he lost his hand and I eventually grew to like him a lot. The bath scene at Harrenhal was definitely when I realized how badly I (along with many of the characters in the books) had misjudged him. You're right, that was an incredible scene. When I was reading the first book, someone told me that Jaime might eventually become my favorite character because that was common, and I had a hard time believing it then, but now he is one of my favorite characters now that I know more about him and have seen his journey. I am really amazed by the fantastic arc that GRRM created for this character.

May I ask what your favorite scene with Jaime is?

3 hours ago, Robert Baratheon's hammer said:

Good question.

1. Jamie Lannister - The most interesting for me. 

2. Robert Baratheon - Makes me laugh.

3. Stannis Baratheon - Blunt.

4. Tyrion Lannister - Cynical.

5. The Hound - Complicated.

Honorable mentions Littlefinger, Tywin, Roose, Euron, Oberyn and Melisandre.

I completely agree about the Hound. That is exactly why he is one of my favorites too.

2 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Favorite characters in no particular order

Mance – an enigma

Hound – starting with GoT when he said while sitting atop his horse referring to Tyrion: "A voice from nowhere," Sandor said. He peered through his helm, looking this way and that. "Spirits of the air!"

Bronn – merely states his truth and the banter between him & Tryion is comical

Asha & Osha – free spirits, savvy about the world in which they live

Jaime – his POV’s carry a lot of diverse information

They all are cynical & observant & lethal. ASOIAF is filled full of interesting characters. If I replied next week I might change my mind. Mance & Sandor are my favorite characters. One of my top curiosities is the how and why BR came to be in that cave.

I am also curious about that. I hope it gets revealed eventually. I'm wondering if there were other three-eyed crows before Brynden Rivers and the title is passed on (like in the Giver, or even like the Dread Pirate Roberts from the Princess Bride) or if he was the first and somehow came to live in that cave. I actually think having a POV chapter for him would be quite interesting.

I also really like the Hound. Where are you hoping his story goes from here? (if you think he's still alive, support the gravedigger theory or the TV show's direction, etc)

Archived