Why is the Winterfell Heart Tree pond so cold?

Bonkers

16 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Sounds wonderful! 

It was. We were going to go to some commercially run pools but a local told us about the spot and I just think the surroundings were much nicer. Only problem was google maps sent us to the wrong side of the river first of all.

20 minutes ago, Makk said:

It was. We were going to go to some commercially run pools but a local told us about the spot and I just think the surroundings were much nicer. Only problem was google maps sent us to the wrong side of the river first of all.

Nah, it's good, it becomes part of the adventure! 

17 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Bigger and more important question: does the cold pond ever freeze?

I think these excerpts may be the closest thing to evidence so far:

A thin film of ice covered the surface of the pool beneath the weirwood. Theon sank to his knees beside it. "Please," he murmured through his broken teeth, "I never meant …" The words caught in his throat. "Save me," he finally managed. "Give me …" What? Strength? Courage? Mercy? Snow fell around him, pale and silent, keeping its own counsel. The only sound was a faint soft sobbing. Jeyne, he thought. It is her, sobbing in her bridal bed. Who else could it be? Gods do not weep. Or do they?

(ADwD, The Turncloak)

Even the godswood was turning white. A film of ice had formed upon the pool beneath the heart tree, and the face carved into its pale trunk had grown a mustache of little icicles. At this hour they could not hope to have the old gods to themselves. Rowan pulled Theon away from the northmen praying before the tree, to a secluded spot back by the barracks wall, beside a pool of warm mud that stank of rotten eggs. Even the mud was icing up about the edges, Theon saw. "Winter is coming …"
Rowan gave him a hard look. "You have no right to mouth Lord Eddard's words. Not you. Not ever. After what you did—"

(ADwD, Theon I)

From a literary perspective, it's probably significant that Theon takes Jeyne Poole out of Winterfell soon after these scenes, and that the tip of her nose freezes.

Archived