"missing" epilogues

rotting sea cow

All five books so far have prologues, but only two have epilogues. Prologues seem to introduce a new storyline or reinforce some thematics. Epilogues seem to give some plots twists.

People have been trying to find patterns in the prologues. For example, all prologue PoV are not nobles, there seem to be a pattern of north and south of the wall, etc. The two epilogues are from noblemen PoV. I guess the only real pattern is that prologue/epilogue PoV characters die at the end of the chapter or shortly afterwards.

I'm sure that GRRM had very good reasons to not include epilogues in AGOT, ACOK & AFFC, but retrospectively speaking, What would you like to be the epilogues for theses books? They need to make sense timeline wise, introduce some plot twists or reinforce some storyline. My selection.

- AGOT: I'd leave it like that, the last chapter details the single most important event of the series so far. Any epilogue would weaken that.

- ASOS: I'd make an epilogue from the PoV of one of the warlocks from Qarth sailing to take revenge from Dany, until they get captured by some crazy pirate (guess who), without naming or describing him. Maybe few things would need to be changed down the road to make the association a bit harder. This chapter would also give some hints of the rising of magic, etc.

- AFFC: This is harder for me, because timeline wise is at the middle of Dance. Maybe a PoV from one knight of the Vale, getting killed by the mountain clans of the Mountains of the Moon. This would also give us some info about the politics of the Vale from a different perspective than Sansa.

9 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

All five books so far have prologues, but only two have epilogues. Prologues seem to introduce a new storyline or reinforce some thematics. Epilogues seem to give some plots twists.

People have been trying to find patterns in the prologues. For example, all prologue PoV are not nobles, there seem to be a pattern of north and south of the wall, etc. The two epilogues are from noblemen PoV. I guess the only real pattern is that prologue/epilogue PoV characters die at the end of the chapter or shortly afterwards.

I'm sure that GRRM had very good reasons to not include epilogues in AGOT, ACOK & AFFC, but retrospectively speaking, What would you like to be the epilogues for theses books? They need to make sense timeline wise, introduce some plot twists or reinforce some storyline. My selection.

- AGOT: I'd leave it like that, the last chapter details the single most important event of the series so far. Any epilogue would weaken that.

- ASOS: I'd make an epilogue from the PoV of one of the warlocks from Qarth sailing to take revenge from Dany, until they get captured by some crazy pirate (guess who), without naming or describing him. Maybe few things would need to be changed down the road to make the association a bit harder. This chapter would also give some hints of the rising of magic, etc.

- AFFC: This is harder for me, because timeline wise is at the middle of Dance. Maybe a PoV from one knight of the Vale, getting killed by the mountain clans of the Mountains of the Moon. This would also give us some info about the politics of the Vale from a different perspective than Sansa.

The dragons hatching was a perfectly suitable epilogue for Thrones
finding out that Bran is alive is a perfectly good epilogue for Clash
Littlefinger revealing his plan is a perfectly good ending for Feast just as Varys reealng his plan was a perfectly good epilogue for Dance 

Archived