US politics: Donny, you're out of your element

IheartIheartTesla

2 hours ago, Kalbear said:

However, he also did not encourage prosecution of states that legalized pot, and that was something that if he had a desire to he could have easily pushed for. This is something that Sessions et al will almost certainly do here soon. 

I wonder how all those people in Florida who voted for pot legalization but not Hillary Clinton* will feel after 2-3 years of Attorney General Sessions.

*presumably they voted for Gary Johnson, but I can imagine some of them voted for Trump, too.

36 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

A bit OT, but since no-go zones were mentioned now and then:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/mariekirschen/the-french-troll-this-american-and-her-no-go-zone?utm_term=.hc8j1y4Al#.taQav6n3d

As luck would have it, I happened to take a picture of the terrible "riot" in Nantes that Pamela Geller was alluding to.
2017-011.jpg

Yeah, I barely escaped with my life there. Bwhahahahaha...

Well, if we compare it to Trump's "greatest ever" inauguration attendance, that's a scary riot indeed!

1 hour ago, Red Tiger said:

My favourite president, but I don't think he'd be embraced by either party in this day and age.

Lame, that is. Modern politicians should be more open to embracing a bat**** crazy murderer who was so fierce a man that Death had to cowardly end his life while he slept! 

:P

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Lame, that is. Modern politicians should be more open to embracing a bat**** crazy murderer who was so fierce a man that Death had to cowardly end his life while he slept! 

:P

Welp, he killed with his bare hands, modern presidents just use drones.

Oh hey, look, here's Trump's plans on immigration. Basically anyone other than DACA is a target, local police can be deputized and used, anyone put into any police database can be held indefinitely, there will be random camps near the border to hold people indefinitely, and it's pretty much precisely what I said it would be under Trump when asked 'how can he do this without more money'. 

7 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Oh hey, look, here's Trump's plans on immigration. Basically anyone other than DACA is a target, local police can be deputized and used, anyone put into any police database can be held indefinitely, there will be random camps near the border to hold people indefinitely, and it's pretty much precisely what I said it would be under Trump when asked 'how can he do this without more money'. 

Camps! Awesome! I love camping. 

1 minute ago, theguyfromtheVale said:

... particularly if they're used to concentrate people for purposes of, well, getting rid of...

Not only are we not going to try and alleviate the refugee problem, we're going to create one of our own! It amazes me how many people in this country don't understand their own history. Where do you think your grand parents or great grand parents came from? 

14 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

So mass deportations, exactly what he said he would do. No surprise to anyone who actually took Trump at his word.

2 hours ago, Mexal said:

I'm not sure if anyone is following this but an Austrian court just allowed the extradition of Dmytro Firtash to the United States. Firtash was an Ukranian oligarch who was close to the pro-Putin former President of Ukraine and worked closely with Paul Manafort. Should Firtash end up in the hands of the FBI, I suspect he'll sing like a canary and that could lead to some very interesting revelations about Manafort. Austrian police took Firtash into custody following the extradition ruling though it seems to be in connection to a Spanish warrant so not really sure which takes precedent. Either way, this is worth tracking.

Interesting, though as long as Comey's in charge, I doubt the FBI will do much, if anything, to harm the Trump presidency. Officially, at least.

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

Interesting, though as long as Comey's in charge, I doubt the FBI will do much, if anything, to harm the Trump presidency. Officially, at least.

I think it'll be less Comey and more Sessions. I doubt the DOJ proceeds once the FBI builds a case. From everything we haven't heard about the closed door 3 hour meeting with Comey and the Senate Intelligence Committee, I think there is a quite a bit they know already. And with 3 separate probes ongoing, it's likely shit will get dug up. 

26 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

It amazes me how many people in this country don't understand their own history. Where do you think your grand parents or great grand parents came from?

People understand perfectly. In fact, in my case there is no need to even go that far back in time... but I don't see why you would expect any sympathy based on this. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to legally immigrate to the US from most poor countries right now? There are queues, lotteries and, in most cases that I know of, if you want a realistic chance, you will need to pay a lot of money in the country of origin as well as the standard jumping through hoops and further payment to the immigration system once in the US. I see no reason for any particular commiseration with people who simply enter without asking (thus skipping all of the effort and expense) and then complain (as in that Vox article) that driving without a license and using stolen Social Security numbers are treated as crimes.

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

This is so reminiscent of the Fugitive Slave Act.  Anyone -- anyone!  ANY ONE! could be accused by a slave hunter of being an escaped slave.  Your white daughter.  Your brother.  Anyone, because by that time there had been so much rape of female enslaved that a significant percentage of the enslaved were white (and my! did they ever fetch a fancy price in the fancy slave market!).  There was no provision to protest the accusation legally either.  Nor could the accused call in anyone to speak for him or her, or speak for him or herself.

Is it necessary to add that this Act with all its built-in abuses and overt force to make everyone cooperate with slave catchers turned more people anti-slavery -- actively, personally, outraged anti-slavery -- than anything else?  We all recall how that turned out too.

42 minutes ago, Altherion said:

People understand perfectly. In fact, in my case there is no need to even go that far back in time... but I don't see why you would expect any sympathy based on this. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to legally immigrate to the US from most poor countries right now? There are queues, lotteries and, in most cases that I know of, if you want a realistic chance, you will need to pay a lot of money in the country of origin as well as the standard jumping through hoops and further payment to the immigration system once in the US. I see no reason for any particular commiseration with people who simply enter without asking (thus skipping all of the effort and expense) and then complain (as in that Vox article) that driving without a license and using stolen Social Security numbers are treated as crimes.

I get the wanting to punish crime. I have no issue with that, but how about some measure of practical sympathy? How about some small understanding of how immigrant labor actually benefits our economy on a myriad of levels. How about at least a nod to the fact that this is a nation of fucking immigrants?

You honestly believe that rounding folks up in such numbers that you'll have to create camps isn't going to engender some measure of sympathy among a large percentage of this country? That you are a relatively recent immigrant to this country makes your attitude doubly puzzling to me.   

1 hour ago, Altherion said:

Months ago: rounding up millions is ridiculous and contemptible, but I support Trump because it's obvious he doesn't actually mean to do this, and wouldn't be able to anyways.

Now: rounding up millions is the right thing to do, and I support Trump and can't understand the objection to this.

You do this all the time, flip flopping on rationale but leaving the bold as constant. The thing is, as this gets crazier and crazier, years from now I doubt you will look back on this era with an accurate sense of your constant hardcore apologism.

6 minutes ago, Triskan said:

Apropos of nothing in particular has anyone seen any stories about the successful euthanizing of elderly Americans thanks to the Obamacare death panels?  Now that the law has been in place for several years I would have, as a supporter of the law, hoped to have seen quite a bit of progress on this front by now.   

Have the death panels failed due to poor design much like conservative critics say of the rest of the law?

i heard Ross, McConnell, Grassley et al were getting dragged by constituents, who were mad as hell at not getting their promised death panels

Archived