US politics: Donny, you're out of your element

IheartIheartTesla

1 hour ago, Savannah said:

Here, let's try again. 

It doesn't magically get better with repetition, I'm afraid.

This is the opinion of one single police officer who manifestly has an agenda. If you prefer it to the actual facts and figures released by the Swedish state, that's because you prefer it, not because it's more reliable information.

16 hours ago, Altherion said:

as the Vox article points out, there needs to be a hearing on every case and the current system simply doesn't have the capacity to process anywhere near that many cases.

Hence the need for camps to hold people to "await hearings"?

1 hour ago, Savannah said:

Blimey. 
 You might be right, maybe I did mess up my English. 
Calling Peter Springare a random guy, though, is really disingenuous from you.
Here, let's try again. 

I'd rather take a Swedish police officer's word for what happens in Sweden, than some random  guy's on the internet. The Local: 

"A Swedish police officer has caused controversy after he made a Facebook post claiming that the majority of the cases he deals with in a week come from people whose country of origin is not Sweden, leading to an internal police investigation of him, and even provoking Prime Minister Stefan Löfven to respond.
In the post, Peter Springare lists what he claims to be the countries of origin and names of those he dealt with while carrying out preliminary investigations of suspected crimes in Örebro, noting that what he posted "is not politically correct" but that he "doesn't give a shit".
"Suspected perpetrators: Ali Mohamad, Mahmod, Mohammed, Mohammed, Ali, again, again, again, Christoffer… what, is it true? Yes, a Swedish name sneaked its way in on the fringes of a drug related crime, Mohammed, Mahmod Ali, again and again," Springare wrote.
"Countries which represent all of the week's crimes: Iraq, Iraq, Turkey, Syria, Afghanistan, Somalia, Somalia, Syria again, Somalia, unknown country, unknown country, Sweden," he added. Springare then promised to make new posts on the subject every week.
"

Yes, that would be a fine assertion if those were your options for who's word to believe.

But what you are doing is taking some random Swedish police officer's word over the word of the Swedish Police and Swedish govt crime stats which refute such claims. So what you are really saying is that you'd rather believe someone who perpetuates the narrative that supports your world view than someone who paints a picture that things are different to how you want them to be.

Now, if this police officer can be a proper whistleblower and expose Police and govt documents that show a cover up is happening and the stats are being manipulated, then we can talk about credibility.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2017/02/another-democrat-hands-over-reins-republicans

I forgot about this until Rachel Maddow mentioned it on her show last night:

A Democrat on the Federal Election Commission is quitting her term earlybecause of the gridlock that has gripped the panel, offering President Trump an unexpected chance to shape political spending rules.

The commissioner, Ann M. Ravel, said during an interview that she would send Mr. Trump her letter of resignation this week. She pointed to a series of deadlocked votes between the panel’s three Democrats and three Republicans that she said left her little hope the group would ever be able to rein in campaign finance abuses.

Ravel is not the first Democrat to resign a post early after Trump's election win. SEC Chair Mary Jo White is another high-profile Democrat who's resigned, and there have been several others as well.

The Democratic Party may need to learn how to conduct rearguard actions a bit bitter, while in the retreat.

Sometimes, the best you can hope for is just to dig in and bleed the enemy white.

1 hour ago, Frog Eater said:

maybe he should go to New York with Melania, you know, until the school year is out. Just let Mike Pence and Paul Ryan run things. They can fedex things to Trump that need signed, etc. Melania would need to take his phone away so he wouldnt be on twitter 24/7, let him do phone interviews on Fox once every other day. Let him do a rally once a month. Trump would be happy, and the white house would be better for it. 

Honestly, I got nothing. I think you are 100% right.

30 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2017/02/another-democrat-hands-over-reins-republicans

The Democratic Party may need to learn how to conduct rearguard actions a bit bitter, while in the retreat.

Sometimes, the best you can hope for is just to dig in and bleed the enemy white.

I can't believe this is the party I'm affiliated with.

47 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I bet Donny's favorite was INTERJECTIONS!

/FOR EXCITEMENT! AND EMOTION!

/Often set apart from a sentence by an exclamation point, or by a comma when the feelings not as strong.

Knowledge is power eh?

I beg to differ. Evidence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zilx0pnLeHA

2 hours ago, Kalbear said:

...Honestly, I got nothing. I think you are 100% right.

Absolutely. But there is no way Steve Bannon would allow Pence and Ryan to run things if he can possibly convince Trump otherwise. And at the moment, he seems to be doing a bang-up job of that.

17 minutes ago, Zorral said:

No no no no.  We can't afford him.

Look, I know you guys see your tax dollars go out of state to support deadbeat states that despise you and the very programs that sustain them.

But you need to take one for the team here. And don't expect not to be called libtards and coastal elites either, I mean c'mon now. Let's not be greedy.

So about the withdraw of guidance on transgender bathroom use in public schools. This is the blurb on the CNN new feed:

In a letter to public schools, the Trump administration does not offer new guidance but simply withdraws the Obama administration policy, saying there must be "due regard" for the role of states and local school districts in shaping education policy in schools.

Surely this is a rights policy issue not an education policy issue.

The original guidance was a joint statement from DoJ and DoE. DoJ would never issue statements on education policy. Is there a mechanism to challenge the withdrawal of the guidance on the basis that it has nothing to do with education policy so the reason for withdrawal is has no legitimacy?

Archived