US politics: Donny, you're out of your element

IheartIheartTesla

10 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

Has anyone mentioned this incident yet? A man in Kansas yelled, "Get out of my country!" to two Indian men in a bar and shot them. One of the men died.  

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/some-witnesses-say-kansas-shooting-was-racially-motivated-n724971/?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma

so much for the tolerant left smdh 

21 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

Has anyone mentioned this incident yet? A man in Kansas yelled, "Get out of my country!" to two Indian men in a bar and shot them. One of the men died.  

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/some-witnesses-say-kansas-shooting-was-racially-motivated-n724971/?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma

And there was another young man who tried to help who was also shot and seriously injured.

There are GoFundMe pages set up for all three of the victims and their families.

Nothing says PATRIOTISM like waving Russian/Trump flags at the CPAC event!

RUSSIA! RUSSIA...er, USA! USA!

eta: More on it, appears to be a prank and the flag wavers didn't realize what they were waving. :P

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/320997-cpac-attendees-seen-waiving-russian-flags

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, thank you Trump Administration. In a 24 hour period you showed the country how meaningless the states' rights argument is.....

Are tou referring to the marijuana deal? I have a strong suspicion they are going to have issues enforcing that sort of thing, at least in States like Colorado, California, and Oregon where it has been decriminalized for a fair amount of time. 

Short, fun article comparing Bannon to Hans Gruber. I tend to think the clash of civilizations Bannon is the real Bannon, but its possible that none of them are. 

If for some reason you haven’t seen Die Hard, it’s a movie about a gang of thieves who hold an office building hostage to perpetrate a robbery. Except part of the plan to get away with it involves pretending to be ideologically motivated terrorists. At one point the ringleader, Hans Gruber, is speaking on the phone with an FBI negotiator and rattles off a list of political prisoners being held around the world whose release he is demanding.

It’s just a stalling tactic, designed to get the authorities spinning their wheels for no reason. After rattling off the list, Gruber confesses to a confederate that one of the groups of imprisoned terrorists he’s claiming allegiance to is something he read about in Time magazine recently.

That’s what I thought about when I read today that Steve Bannon made a public appearance at CPAC dressed up in a special black-on-black costume to proclaim that his true purpose is the “deconstruction of the administrative state.”

He presumably meant that he wants to destroy the administrative state, not apply literary theory inspired by Jacques Derrida to it. Which would just be another way of saying that he’s a Republican Party political strategist who favors less regulation, just like all Republicans for the past 40 years.

But I guess he means that he’s more extreme and hard-core in his libertarian economic commitments. But back in his bombastic November 18 Wall Street Journal interview, Bannon explained he’s an “economic nationalist … an America First guy” so not at all a libertarian. But also not an ethnic nationalist. But back in July, he told Sarah Posner that his website was “a platform for the alt-right” — in other words, ethnic nationalism. But back in 2014, Bannon was making a pitch for an explicitly Christian conservatism, making the case that libertarianism and secularism had “sapped the strength of the Judeo-Christian West to defend its ideals.”

Then again, in another post-election interview, Bannon told the Hollywood Reporter that “Darkness is good … Dick Cheney. Darth Vader. Satan. That’s power.”

Get it? Well I don’t get it either. And, frankly, I don’t think Bannon spends much time worrying about how he plans to implement an economic program of “America first” nationalism without an administrative state. Or why the Judeo-Christian West is good but Mexico is bad. And of course Bannon isn’t a Satanist. But he knows Satan gets the best lines in Paradise Lost and everyone knows that Darth Vader is a cool badass character and Luke is a lame weenie. But there’s no grand ideological vision here; it’s marketing and clickbait and sloganeering and self-puffery.

At one point, Holly McLane confronts Gruber, saying, “after all your posturing, all your little speeches, you’re nothing but a common thief.”

Gruber retorts, “I’m an exceptional thief.”

And by the same token, just because Bannon is talking nonsense doesn’t mean he isn’t good at it. Breitbart isn’t good journalism, but it’s certainly been successful at building an audience. Trump isn’t popular, but he won. And to say that Bannon is kind of a faker — it’s entirely vacuous to rant against “the establishment” while sitting in the West Wing of the White House celebrating a stock market book — isn’t to say that he can’t do harm.

Gruber was only a fake terrorist, but he did kill a lot of people along the way. But Bannon’s not the secret ideologist lurking behind Trump's policy-lite opportunism and demagoguery — they're two peas in a pod.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/02/stock-market-trump/517671/

After occasionally skewering Goldman Sachs in the campaign, the president has surrounded himself with Goldman Sachs veterans, including Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin and the economic adviser Gary Cohn (not to mention Steve Bannon). Little surprise then that Goldman’s stock is up 43 percent since early November, accounting for about a fifth of the entire increase in the Dow Jones average. Perhaps the stock market isn't a report card on Trump’s brand of populism so much as a hypothesis that it’s a marketing veneer or that pro-business GOP orthodoxy will win out.

Interesting, I've seen a broad increase across my portfolio, but some additional color here.

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Are tou referring to the marijuana deal? I have a strong suspicion they are going to have issues enforcing that sort of thing, at least in States like Colorado, California, and Oregon where it has been decriminalized for a fair amount of time. 

I'm referring to that and contrasting it with the rescinding of protections for the transgender community. States' rights is a very selective philosophy. 

As for enforcement, they really won't have a hard time if they want to go all in. It would be stupid politically, but they certainly could do it. 

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

As for enforcement, they really won't have a hard time if they want to go all in. It would be stupid politically, but they certainly could do it. 

For a short time maybe, but I don't see them being able to enact a sea change in regards to marijuana in the states I mentioned. I lived in the Haight in San Francisco from like 1990-2000, and the beat cops would literally write you a ticket at worst. And that was if they caught you buying on the street. The mindset just isn't there I don't think. 

Some press were blocked from their scheduled briefing by Spicer and WH today. While a closed-door meeting with some press is not at all unusual, cancelling a scheduled open gaggle of press to do a closed door and restrict some press is very unusual.

7 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Some press were blocked from their scheduled briefing by Spicer and WH today. While a closed-door meeting with some press is not at all unusual, cancelling a scheduled open gaggle of press to do a closed door and restrict some press is very unusual.

Goebbels would be so proud. 

Archived