Can Children of the Forest mate with humans?

Sea Dragon

This forum has been great for getting my questions answered. Thank you.

Now I have another question.^_^ Can Children of the Forest mate or make babies with humans? I thought the children were a different species more like woodland elves with their big yellow eyes, and deer like skin, and they don't even have the same amount of fingers. It doesn't seem possible to me, but I know a lot of you here have read the books more than I have.

Thanks again.

40 minutes ago, cgrav said:

I mean, magic does whatever it needs to do, but it seems unlikely. The only case of it I've heard even speculated is the Ghost of High Heart. 

Thanks for the answer. That is one place I see readers say it the most. The Ghost of High Heart seems more of a mysterious greendreamer lady to me.

Any other thoughts?

2 minutes ago, Luddagain said:

I rather think there is a strong suggestion that crannogmen have some CoF in their make up

Really? I guess I missed that. What clues did you find? I do like Meera and I am excited to have Howland finally show up.

4 minutes ago, DarkSister1001 said:

It's not outright stated.  But Craggonmen are described similarly like was already suggested.  And in my tinfoil world Nettles was a CoTF.  Leaf, to be specific. 

I don't remember Nettles.. Who is that? Sorry to ask.

48 minutes ago, Luddagain said:

Their size, their habitat, and their occasional green and red eyes all suggest CoF lineage. I think Jenny of Oldstones may be CoF (or partly)

5 minutes ago, DarkSister1001 said:

It's not outright stated.  But Craggonmen are described similarly like was already suggested.  And in my tinfoil world Nettles was a CoTF.  Leaf, to be specific. 

So that means yes, the Children of the Forest can mate with humans and give them babies? Thanks for the answers. I guess I missed that completely because I thought they were a different species all together. But this is A Game of Thrones and anything can happen ^_^

Sea Dragon

I share your concerns re the CoF. While mating with giants is strongly suggested eg Hodor and the Umbers and the whole World book discusses the Ibbenese etc, the CoF seem much more distinctive.

However I have read (I am not saying I agree) a scientific article that suggests humans are hybridised apes and pigs. Way out there but someone obviously thinks it possible!!!!!

However if a great dane and a chihuahua can interbreed!!!!!!!!!!!!

18 minutes ago, Luddagain said:

Sea Dragon

I share your concerns re the CoF. While mating with giants is strongly suggested eg Hodor and the Umbers and the whole World book discusses the Ibbenese etc, the CoF seem much more distinctive.

However I have read (I am not saying I agree) a scientific article that suggests humans are hybridised apes and pigs. Way out there but someone obviously thinks it possible!!!!!

However if a great dane and a chihuahua can interbreed!!!!!!!!!!!!

Duuuuude. That would be an awful mix :lol: I have two female Danes and one boy pug dog. I made sure the little puggy was fixed when ready so I did not end up with little, trendy, "Great Panes". ;)

About the topic at hand... I don't know if the CotF and humans can mate. I know I have seen it mentioned as well, but they seem too genetically different to me for it to work. Danes and pug dogs are at least both canines :P However, we could read something different in TWOW and that will be ok.

Here is the quote from AWOIAF:

Last (and some might say the least) of the peoples of the North are the swamp-dwellers of the Neck, known as crannogmen for the floating islands on which they raise their halls and hovels. A small, sly people (some say they are small in stature because they intermarried with the children of the forest, but more likely it results from inadequate nourishment, for grains do not flourish amidst the fens and swamps and salt marshes of the Neck, and the crannogmen subsist largely upon a diet of fish, frogs, and lizards), they are quite secretive, preferring to keep to themselves.   The North:The Crannogmen of The Neck

I personally dig the whole inter-species idea.  In the beginning there were the Red Kings, Warg Kings, Barrow Kings and the Marsh Kings.  If we go along with the perception that all these kings were magical in nature it makes sense they would seek out greater magic in combining bloodlines.   I mean, we've got those kinky Valyians with literal blood of the dragon...it had to come from somewhere.   

17 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Here is the quote from AWOIAF:

Last (and some might say the least) of the peoples of the North are the swamp-dwellers of the Neck, known as crannogmen for the floating islands on which they raise their halls and hovels. A small, sly people (some say they are small in stature because they intermarried with the children of the forest, but more likely it results from inadequate nourishment, for grains do not flourish amidst the fens and swamps and salt marshes of the Neck, and the crannogmen subsist largely upon a diet of fish, frogs, and lizards), they are quite secretive, preferring to keep to themselves.   The North:The Crannogmen of The Neck

I personally dig the whole inter-species idea.  In the beginning there were the Red Kings, Warg Kings, Barrow Kings and the Marsh Kings.  If we go along with the perception that all these kings were magical in nature it makes sense they would seek out greater magic in combining bloodlines.   I mean, we've got those kinky Valyians with literal blood of the dragon...it had to come from somewhere.   

See, I told ya so!         (me in the background :bang:... it has been a bad news evening all around)

Well, if this is infact happening, then this is another of GRRM's own themes he is using from another older story of his... and the hybrid/non-human source is not a "good" guy. This would definitely support the theories of some who think the CotF are little green baddies.

1 minute ago, The Fattest Leech said:

See, I told ya so!         (me in the background :bang:... it has been a bad news evening all around)

Well, if this is infact happening, then this is another of GRRM's own themes he is using from another older story of his... and the hybrid/non-human source is not a "good" guy. This would definitely support the theories of some who think the CotF are little green baddies.

Dammit Leech, Martin will not regurgitate old twists on us!  

And I thought you would like the kinky Valyrian reference!  

4 hours ago, Sea Dragon said:

This forum has been great for getting my questions answered. Thank you.

Now I have another question.^_^ Can Children of the Forest mate or make babies with humans? I thought the children were a different species more like woodland elves with their big yellow eyes, and deer like skin, and they don't even have the same amount of fingers. It doesn't seem possible to me, but I know a lot of you here have read the books more than I have.

Thanks again.

Probably not 

34 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Dammit Leech, Martin will not regurgitate old twists on us!  

And I thought you would like the kinky Valyrian reference!  

Huh? Sorry, I zoned out because I was too busy reading about the origins of the purple-eyes ones here

1 minute ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Huh? Sorry, I zoned out because I was too busy reading about the origins of the purple-eyes ones here

How do I make that little emoti guy who just rolls around?   Gads that was great.   I'm sorry your evening has sucked.    That made my week!  

Archived