Post your most hated POV's

Jadakiss

Areo Hotah...why? WHY?

Arys Oakheart...again...why? (probably just to show off Arianne's sexiness) 

Quentyn Martel...Martin repeatedly shows that he is capable to flesh out characters and endear them to the reader without them ever even appearing much on page (or at all) so I saw no point in his POVs.

All the Greyjoys except for Theon/Reek. Can those smelly people just shuffle back to their smelly islands and stop taking page space form the interesting characters?

Arya...so annoying and boring. I already disliked her in the beginning, but now she's in Braavos and hanging out with the Faceless Men and I neither care for Braavos (it sounds like a dreadful place) nor the Faceless Men nor about her chasing cats.

Daenerys in every chapter that has to do with Meereen. I liked her before that and I assume I will return to liking her once she leaves that blasted city behind.

Cersei's POV was entertaining in the beginning, but "Mad Queen Cersei" and her imaginary rivalry with a teenage girl got real old, real fast. I really liked Cersei better before she got her own POV

I just think the last two books are very slow and needed multiple reads to understand what really happens ..even characters I like say dany and arya were hard for me to get through ..

If i have to name a pov i will go with aerion, areo hotah ,arys oakheart,quentyn Martell

And major POV is Tyrion especially in ADWD..

2 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

Areo Hotah...why? WHY?

Arys Oakheart...again...why? (probably just to show off Arianne's sexiness) 

Actually I think that the Areo and Arys POVs are a missed opportunity.

We already had a KG knight as a POV (Jaime) and in DWD Barristan also became a POV and he gave an insight in Dany's court and also few but crucial information about Aerys' reign.

Areo and Arys oppose each other, westeros vs essos, duty vs love, devotion vs impulse, e.t.c..

Unfortunately Areo provides us with zero information on the Martells, he barely mentions Mellario or Doran's mother, he is just there to watch and obey orders.

Arys reveals a few interesting details- he was grateful to leave Joffrey, Myrcella was the only one to stand up against her older brother- but his storyline focuses entirely on Arianne, who is also a POV character, therefore he had very little to bring to the story as a POV. A shame that GRRM did not focus on Myrcella, one of the most underdeveloped characters in the books. 

During my first reading, I found some Brienne's chapters a bit boring, also Arya's travel throw Riverland (despite the fact I appreciated Arya and the Hound) - I thought there was too much Riverlands in general; a bit boring also with Tyrion (after his capture by Jorah) and Dany in ADWD. And Arianne, too. And Quentyn. 

I don't count the characters I hated like Cersei or Theon in ACOK (and even Sansa in AGOT), because I found very interesting and disturbing to enter in their mind = they are as human as all others. So I could hate them but that didn't make the chapters boring. 

After 2nd, and 3rd (and now 4th) reading, I think I enjoy all the PoV without exception. Each time, I see things I never saw before or I had forgotten. 

The honest truth is that the entire Dany plotline bores the hell out of me. The Essosi plot is merely stuff that gets in the way of what is happening in Westeros, as far as I am concerned.

This is not a dig at Dany. Simply an honest acknowledgment that I don't enjoy that part of the story. Which is kind of weird, considering it represents maybe a quarter or so of the entire series. I'm sure her plotline will get more interesting once she lands in Westeros, but frankly, it is quite clear that Martin didn't give the Essosi setting nearly the depth he invested in Westeros. It is simply not possible, given the page constraints he has to deal with. As a result we have a bunch of impossible to identify with weirdos occupying the narrative beyond the Narrow Sea. From despicable Dothraki pillagers, to grotesque Slave Masters etc.

Do most readers really care about any of them as much as they care about Westeros? I think not.

So I dislike Dany chapters. Along with Barristan, Quentyn and Tyrion chapters that take place in Essos. Bring them to Westeros, and that will change.

• Sansa - I hated all of her chapters.  They were an ordeal to have to go through just to get to other characters.
  • Jon - He's another character that I don't like.  A lot of important but very boring scenes took place at the north and it was a pity that we had to depend on Jon's pov to have to go through.
  • Samwell - I have nothing against Sam but his POV just annoyed me. 

17 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

The honest truth is that the entire Dany plotline bores the hell out of me. The Essosi plot is merely stuff that gets in the way of what is happening in Westeros, as far as I am concerned.

This is not a dig at Dany. Simply an honest acknowledgment that I don't enjoy that part of the story. Which is kind of weird, considering it represents maybe a quarter or so of the entire series. I'm sure her plotline will get more interesting once she lands in Westeros, but frankly, it is quite clear that Martin didn't give the Essosi setting nearly the depth he invested in Westeros. It is simply not possible, given the page constraints he has to deal with. As a result we have a bunch of impossible to identify with weirdos occupying the narrative beyond the Narrow Sea. From despicable Dothraki pillagers, to grotesque Slave Masters etc.

Do most readers really care about any of them as much as they care about Westeros? I think not.

So I dislike Dany chapters. Along with Barristan, Quentyn and Tyrion chapters that take place in Essos. Bring them to Westeros, and that will change.

As I said in another thread, GRRM has troubles in getting in Dany's shoes, more than with any other character, which is weird given her prime role in the series and that GRRM has been successfully able to create a myriad of distinct personalities (PoV and non-PoV). Part of the problem is indeed that her story happens in Essos and GRRM hasn't paid a similar level of attention in world building there in comparison with Westeros. Nevertheless I'd rate his efforts on the descriptions of the Dothraki sea, Rhoyne, Volantis and Braavos as excellent and thanks to it I find Essos more interesting than Westeros (the whole house issues thing bores the shit out of me). However a lot of things in Slaver's Bay and Qarth are indeed rather clumsy.

In general, I'd say that Dany's story has more ups and downs than the rest of the PoVs. In AGOT the story was clearly well packaged. Troubles began in ACOK making the whole Qarth plot difficult to believe, but the meat was in the HOTU visit. Then in ASOS we have again a well structured story of the breaker of chains ending with her becoming Queen of Meeren. In ADWD I get the feeling that GRRM focused completely in the internal struggles of Dany abandoning almost completely other part of the story. We don't really get a feeling where the plot is going. Now overall ADWD (and also AFFC) is mostly an intimate and existentialistic book, from Tyrion to Dany, from Quentyn to Jaime, from Theon to Jon, which is why is harder to read.

Barristan indeed is a very boring PoV, bring Missandei! Same with Areo, guy is a webcam.

Archived