Tyrion's Lonely Hearts Club

Curled Finger

Valentine's is a memory.  It always amazes me that no one ever sees love in the cards for Tyrion.   The best I've seen are some reunion with either Tysha or Sansa.   Both of these options are sad and potentially disastrous.  Given Tyrion’s own musings on women and love

“ I have no wish to die, I promise you. I have …" His voice trailed off into uncertainty. What do I have? A life to live? Work to do? Children to raise, lands to rule, a woman to love?”

“ Love is madness, and lust is poison.”

It isn’t hard to piece together a portrait of a man longing for love and partner for life.  Tyrion is 27ish last we saw him.  Despite appearances he is a man in his prime, poised for great things.  Tyrion is tender with Penny and sees her more as a child than dwarf, further proving his ability to transcend common prejudice.  I don’t think an older dwarf is out of the question, but a woman’s appearance is important to Tyrion.  More so than her intelligence?  I doubt it.  Then again, how alike are the Lannister brothers in seeing beyond a woman’s outer beauty? 

Tyrion yearns for acceptance and respectability.   His forays into what Tywin perceives as foolishness in drinking and whoring play no small part in our appreciation for the fun Lannister.   As acting Hand of the King Tyrion proved he could out think the finest commander in Westeros as well as the Queen Regent.  Among the many enjoyable qualities Tyrion possesses, his humanity is well tuned if imperfect.   Tyrion may be fun but he can also act ruthlessly “And for this poor Symon wound up in a bowl of brown, Tyrion mused. “  While Tyrion proves to the reader he can exceed at tasks Tywin steadfastly remains unimpressed.  "… never once have you acknowledged it. It's past time. I want you to stand up before the realm and proclaim that I am your son and your lawful heir." 

We are allowed glimpses of the imp's desire through Shae's clever manipulations.   His guilt and shame through Jamie’s admission about Tysha.  His fury and self-loathing in his own POV throughout Dance.  As much as Tyrion berates himself throughout Dance his humanity never rings so true as in his designs to save Penny and Jorah.  Tyrion is kind and loyal and smarter for having a cause.  Like it or not, Tyrion has a hero’s heart. 

I haven’t come across a woman in Westeros or Essos worthy of Tyrion Lannister.  Is this wonderful character destined to remain alone?

7 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Valentine's is a memory.  It always amazes me that no one ever sees love in the cards for Tyrion.   The best I've seen are some reunion with either Tysha or Sansa.   Both of these options are sad and potentially disastrous.  Given Tyrion’s own musings on women and love

“ I have no wish to die, I promise you. I have …" His voice trailed off into uncertainty. What do I have? A life to live? Work to do? Children to raise, lands to rule, a woman to love?”

“ Love is madness, and lust is poison.”

It isn’t hard to piece together a portrait of a man longing for love and partner for life.  Tyrion is 27ish last we saw him.  Despite appearances he is a man in his prime, poised for great things.  Tyrion is tender with Penny and sees her more as a child than dwarf, further proving his ability to transcend common prejudice.  I don’t think an older dwarf is out of the question, but a woman’s appearance is important to Tyrion.  More so than her intelligence?  I doubt it.  Then again, how alike are the Lannister brothers in seeing beyond a woman’s outer beauty? 

Tyrion yearns for acceptance and respectability.   His forays into what Tywin perceives as foolishness in drinking and whoring play no small part in our appreciation for the fun Lannister.   As acting Hand of the King Tyrion proved he could out think the finest commander in Westeros as well as the Queen Regent.  Among the many enjoyable qualities Tyrion possesses, his humanity is well tuned if imperfect.   Tyrion may be fun but he can also act ruthlessly “And for this poor Symon wound up in a bowl of brown, Tyrion mused. “  While Tyrion proves to the reader he can exceed at tasks Tywin steadfastly remains unimpressed.  "… never once have you acknowledged it. It's past time. I want you to stand up before the realm and proclaim that I am your son and your lawful heir." 

We are allowed glimpses of the imp's desire through Shae's clever manipulations.   His guilt and shame through Jamie’s admission about Tysha.  His fury and self-loathing in his own POV throughout Dance.  As much as Tyrion berates himself throughout Dance his humanity never rings so true as in his designs to save Penny and Jorah.  Tyrion is kind and loyal and smarter for having a cause.  Like it or not, Tyrion has a hero’s heart. 

I haven’t come across a woman in Westeros or Essos worthy of Tyrion Lannister.  Is this wonderful character destined to remain alone?

Yes. He participated in the gang rape of the one woman who loved him. The woman he promised to protect. When the twisted little monkey demon finds that woman and their daughter living as whores in Braavos, his head will freaking explode, and everywhere the dragons dance, the people will die. 

8 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Yes. He participated in the gang rape of the one woman who loved him. The woman he promised to protect. When the twisted little monkey demon finds that woman and their daughter living as whores in Braavos, his head will freaking explode, and everywhere the dragons dance, the people will die. 

I don't defend Tyrion's actions, only wonder where the truth in his thoughts are.  His murder of Shae was pretty awful.  We see Tyrion vacillate between self loathing and a sort of resigned pride in killing Tywin, who is at the root of many of Tyrion's motivations.     

21 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

He was a victim in that as well. He was forced to participate and told that she didn't love him and was only a whore. 

I'm not sanguine (no pun intended) that he'll ever find Tysha. 

12 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

I don't defend Tyrion's actions, only wonder where the truth in his thoughts are.  His murder of Shae was pretty awful.  We see Tyrion vacillate between self loathing and a sort of resigned pride in killing Tywin, who is at the root of many of Tyrion's motivations.     

His murder of Shae was a crime of passion, and honestly one of the less awful deaths in the series thus far. It was definitely awful for Tyrion though.

8 hours ago, hitman47 said:

Tyrion is the monster and  maybe its Devil himself. He wants to rape his own sister so it means that TYrion is good ? I dont think so

I don't think he actually wants to rape his sister. That's just one of the few methods of revenge he can think of, and would certainly be the most revolting to Cersei. Pretty sure if he had the option of feeding her to a dragon he would choose that instead.

There is no "Devil himself" in the series. Except maybe Euron. Tyrion and Ramsay both have pasts that messed them up (at least we think Ramsay started out okay) but Euron is a true monster. Everyone else is shades of gray, per the author.

Back to the OP...

This may sound weird, and it would definitely not be my first choice, but I think Arya might be able to see past Tyrion's appearance and his past crimes. She knows there's more to a person than a face, and she's done some awful things herself. 

At the moment I think it's far more likely that Tyrion will die than find a happy ending. Would be nice if he could apologize to Tysha, but even if she forgave him I don't think he'll ever forgive himself. However, if Tyrion does live, the pickings will be slim where men are concerned and if Dany lets him have Casterly Rock and all it's gold, he will be one of the most eligible bachelors in the world. 

@Lady Blizzardborn, thank you for a little sanity in a discussion that was designed to be amusing not a hate thread.   So I guess I am outted as a Tyrion lover.   Tyrion's actions touch me--with particular emphasis on his absolute determination to save/rescue/help Penny and Jorah.  The audacity of his actions in securing Jorah's er, companionship during their captivity impresses me every time I read it.   Raper, Murderer, Kinslayer and fool; Scholar, Strategist, Coach and pouter, Tyrion's many facets sparkle in different light.  Tyrion has had some very difficult challenges, some won and lost others, but he never stops trying.   In the aftermath of his most heinous crimes he still ponders love.  He pines for forgiveness from Tysha.  This is such sad inner dialogue really illustrating the utter break with reality Tyrion suffers.  He does his best work when he becomes a hero which includes lying to little Penny and acting a literal fool with her for the sailors.   

It seems so unlikely that Tyrion will ever have an opportunity for real love despite his best and worst efforts.   Still, as a fan I would like to see him have both satisfaction and joy.   I wonder if he will ever recover his former self as a more skilled, experienced man.  

1 hour ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

He was a victim in that as well. He was forced to participate and told that she didn't love him and was only a whore. 

I'm not sanguine (no pun intended) that he'll ever find Tysha. 

His murder of Shae was a crime of passion, and honestly one of the less awful deaths in the series thus far. It was definitely awful for Tyrion though.

I don't think he actually wants to rape his sister. That's just one of the few methods of revenge he can think of, and would certainly be the most revolting to Cersei. Pretty sure if he had the option of feeding her to a dragon he would choose that instead.

There is no "Devil himself" in the series. Except maybe Euron. Tyrion and Ramsay both have pasts that messed them up (at least we think Ramsay started out okay) but Euron is a true monster. Everyone else is shades of gray, per the author.

Back to the OP...

This may sound weird, and it would definitely not be my first choice, but I think Arya might be able to see past Tyrion's appearance and his past crimes. She knows there's more to a person than a face, and she's done some awful things herself. 

At the moment I think it's far more likely that Tyrion will die than find a happy ending. Would be nice if he could apologize to Tysha, but even if she forgave him I don't think he'll ever forgive himself. However, if Tyrion does live, the pickings will be slim where men are concerned and if Dany lets him have Casterly Rock and all it's gold, he will be one of the most eligible bachelors in the world. 

Tyrion was aroused when joined the gang. He's just gotta see what has become of Tysha and his daughter. Besides, the George said he will find out where whores go. Shae got what she had coming. Given his state of arousal when he bid Tysha a fond farewell, I'm guessing that Tyrion would rather play Jaime and Lancel than feed Cersei to a dragon. Tyrion's shade of gray is much darker than it was, and after he encounters the Sailor's Wife and Lanna, it's going to look black in the lamplight. Tyrion and Arya? No, that went out the window with Jon and Arya (I think, er hope). I agree that it is far more likely that the twisted little monkey demon will die. I feel the need to add, though, that Tyrion deserved to be knighted for his efforts during the Battle of the Blackwater. And Tyrion VIII, Game 62 is one of my favorite chapters. 

15 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Tyrion was aroused when joined the gang. He's just gotta see what has become of Tysha and his daughter. Besides, the George said he will find out where whores go. Shae got what she had coming. Given his state of arousal when he bid Tysha a fond farewell, I'm guessing that Tyrion would rather play Jaime and Lancel than feed Cersei to a dragon. Tyrion's shade of gray is much darker than it was, and after he encounters the Sailor's Wife and Lanna, it's going to look black in the lamplight. Tyrion and Arya? No, that went out the window with Jon and Arya (I think, er hope). I agree that it is far more likely that the twisted little monkey demon will die. I feel the need to add, though, that Tyrion deserved to be knighted for his efforts during the Battle of the Blackwater. And Tyrion VIII, Game 62 is one of my favorite chapters. 

Clearly you know very little about sexual abuse in males. That's a good thing of course. 

Doesn't mean he'll find Tysha herself. She could be dead.

Totally disagree. Dragon-feeding is a unique opportunity.

Hey, I said it wasn't my first choice. I just think of all the characters left so far, she stands the best chance of understanding Tyrion and not judging him based on his appearance. I see nobody got my face joke.

1 minute ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Clearly you know very little about sexual abuse in males. That's a good thing of course. 

Doesn't mean he'll find Tysha herself. She could be dead.

Totally disagree. Dragon-feeding is a unique opportunity.

Hey, I said it wasn't my first choice. I just think of all the characters left so far, she stands the best chance of understanding Tyrion and not judging him based on his appearance. I see nobody got my face joke.

:)

Archived