Was Duncan the Tall invincible?

Quellon

He never lost a fight, as far as we know. Aeron Brightflame had him in trouble and he was experienced in melee fighting but still Duncan came out on top. He also defeated Laughing Storm and killed Daemon III Blackfyre-both these guys must have been experienced and good in combat. So, was he invincible or was it just because he was so tall that he was hard to beat?

In Martin's world no one is invincible. That said, his size and his youth as an orphan in Flea Bottom surely makes Duncan a great melee fighter. He specially excels at one-to-one fighys at the closest range, when it degenerates to fists and elbows

We have no indication that he is any good with the sword, and we know he is pretty bad at jousting. And while he is considered a great commander of the King's Guard, he is more remembered for being a good friend of the king than for his deeds. In that regard, he clearly ranks below the likes of Ser Ryam Redwyne, the Dragonknight or Barristan the Bold.

He hasn't proved himself well with the sword or lance. His fights so far (so far the tales published) have been won with strength, a little bit of cheating (as against Lucas Inchfield) and a lot of plot, but he's still a fairly untrained hedge knight. Not to mention that he was decisively beaten by the Snail knight.

However he managed to defeat Lyonel Baratheon, I think that was a time when he got to fill his gaps as a fighter. Would be interesting, if this is the case, to see how he done that. I hope to finally see some badassery from Dunk's side when that single combat at the gates of Storm's End arrives. Promises pure gold.

I mentioned ser Uthor not by random quoting. He proves that Dunk can be irrevocably defeated as well so, for me, he is not and George will not portray him as the invincible knight.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 5:03 PM, King Merrett I Frey said:

He hasn't proved himself well with the sword or lance. His fights so far (so far the tales published) have been won with strength, a little bit of cheating (as against Lucas Inchfield) and a lot of plot, but he's still a fairly untrained hedge knight. Not to mention that he was decisively beaten by the Snail knight.

However he managed to defeat Lyonel Baratheon, I think that was a time when he got to fill his gaps as a fighter. Would be interesting, if this is the case, to see how he done that. I hope to finally see some badassery from Dunk's side when that single combat at the gates of Storm's End arrives. Promises pure gold.

I mentioned ser Uthor not by random quoting. He proves that Dunk can be irrevocably defeated as well so, for me, he is not and George will not portray him as the invincible knight.

Lyonel would have been pretty old at that point, I think he probably lost a step.

Archived