Han Solo Movie Cast First Shot

Manhole Eunuchsbane

31 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

I had no interest in this movie before the superbowl commercial.... now I have a slight interest

That Last Jedi abomination really soured me

Same here. Anything with the Empire is inherently better than anything having to do with the First Order. 

The thing that struck me - from the (very brief) sound bite we got...he actually sounded like young Harrison Ford as Han Solo.  The look...not so much.  That shot from the back with Chewie putting his arm around him, I was like "when did Han get such curly hair?"  But anyway, from the one or two lines we heard, I thought he sounded pretty spot on.

Space Pirates, what's not to love? Though it seems like they've gone for the pretty boy space pirate look a la Orlando Bloom from PotC. But Orlando Bloom already had heart Throb cred as Legolas before getting the pirate gig, and he wasn't really the main event in PotC.

But a Space pirates movie really should be M rated at minimum, Whereas Disney wants to hock off the merch to 10-year olds, so they have to make a PG (at most) space pirate movie, which puts it on the back foot right from the start.

When we met Han Solo in ep IV he was a regular at the most "wretched hive of scum and villainy" in the galaxy. Is that really how they are going to play him in this movie? No Han Solo is just a misunderstood diamond in the rough. It would be amazing if they did a Logan with Solo, but there is just no way Disney will ever do a Logan with the Star Wars brand. Hell, I don't think Disney will ever do a Logan with the MCU brand, and Star Wars is more kid oriented than the MCU.

They're really keeping Han Solo himself on the down-low in that trailer. We get a handful of shots of him (mostly from behind or the side), and no words. That seems odd to me, since a Han Solo movie is going to live or die based on how fun it is (I hope - I really hope they didn't decide to go all Rogue One dark for this, because while that worked for Rogue One I don't think it would work well here). 

So, can't say Ehrenreich sounded anything like a young Ford to me, but I didn't expect that. I did think it was unfortunate that the first glimpse of him we get, he's cast against a taller actor, emphasizing the fact that he's shorter than Ford as well. Weird decision to make that the first moment we lay eyes on him.

This teaser left me pretty cold, I'll be honest. More interested in Donald Glover's Lando than I am in Ehrenreich's Solo at the moment. But it's a teaser, mostly about the visuals, etc. We'll see.

@Fall Bass

Agreed on tone -- actually, that's the #1 reason the teaser left me cold, I now realize. The portentous music, the dark settings -- the teaser's making it look kind of grim-and-gritty, which isn't exactly the tone that should dominate in ... lets say the "Platonic" Han Solo film.

Aside from the scar on his left cheek, I thought he did a decent job with the smirk capturing Han. He's younger, so the wilder hair end of the 70's doesn't bother me. Looks a bit like one of my action figures as a kid. "Big Head" Han figure. :)

Just glimpses and flashes, though. Interested in seeing more when the actual trailer lands today.

ETA: I thought we were in trouble for a second there, but we're fine. We're fine.

Just watched the actual trailer there, can't help but like the 'dark, grim and gritty' setting that's being used. Have to say, from the trailer, visually, it looks stunning.

Donald Glover looks cool as Lando. As for Ehrenreich, anytime we hear his voice over other actions where you don't actually see him speak, he sounds like he's doing a solid 'impression' of Han; it's whenever we actually see him deliver the dialogue that his voice is a bit further from Han's. Perhaps it is seeing how different he looks to Ford that makes him sound less like him, too.

As said before, though, I think he does a good job of capturing Han's facial expressions, in particular the 'smirk'.

It's hard to judge on a minute a half's worth of footage, but despite my doubts about him, I think he could do a decent job. The trailer sure does make the film look exciting.

48 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Just watched the actual trailer there, can't help but like the 'dark, grim and gritty' setting that's being used. Have to say, from the trailer, visually, it looks stunning.

Donald Glover looks cool as Lando. As for Ehrenreich, anytime we hear his voice over other actions where you don't actually see him speak, he sounds like he's doing a solid 'impression' of Han; it's whenever we actually see him deliver the dialogue that his voice is a bit further from Han's. Perhaps it is seeing how different he looks to Ford that makes him sound less like him, too.

As said before, though, I think he does a good job of capturing Han's facial expressions, in particular the 'smirk'.

It's hard to judge on a minute a half's worth of footage, but despite my doubts about him, I think he could do a decent job. The trailer sure does make the film look exciting.

35 minutes ago, Ran said:

The trailer is better, with some humor in it, but Ehrenreich is even more jarringly off to me. Mmm...

Guessing the trip through the swirling tunnel of clouds is the Kessel Run, eh?

Is there a link to the trailer?  I'm at work and my Google Fu is limited.

Watching that trailer, I'm reminded of the line about how Han Solo isn't an iconic character. He's an iconic performance

Maybe Ehrenreich can prove that wrong, but so far... not feeling it. 

15 minutes ago, mormont said:

Watching that trailer, I'm reminded of the line about how Han Solo isn't an iconic character. He's an iconic performance

These are exactly my thoughts as well. Though the movie itself might still be a decent entertainment, and visuals look pretty terrific. And Glover is excellent as Lando.

Yeah, nevermind.  Its what I was afraid of.

I never needed every character to have an epic background.  Sometimes, there's something to be said for a small time smuggler getting dropped into events bigger than himself.

Its why I have been wary of the concept of the side stories.  Rogue One was great because it was a story that we knew there was more to tell and that it was a major event.  But going with Solo/Kenobi/Yoda etc makes the galaxy feel smaller.  Its a big place out there a long time ago and far, far away.  Tell some new stories.

Archived