Han Solo Movie Cast First Shot

Manhole Eunuchsbane

12 minutes ago, Astromech said:

So a space heist? That's the plot running through my mind after seeing the trailer.  

I'd be cool with that.  Maybe infiltrating the Empire as a new recruit to steal valuable cargo?  Or, even better, set up as a patsy by Woody Harrelson's character, to take the fall for stealing from the Empire.

3 minutes ago, The Mance said:

I'd be cool with that.  Maybe infiltrating the Empire as a new recruit to steal valuable cargo?  Or, even better, set up as a patsy by Woody Harrelson's character, to take the fall for stealing from the Empire.

My only concern with a heist is it possibly being too similar to Rogue One. But it would have to entail smuggling wouldn't it? I mean, it's Han.

I have to agree with other posters preferring Disney shy away from origins stories and branch out into the vast Star Wars galaxy and tell new stories. I still have my fingers crossed for some Old Republic films.

19 minutes ago, Astromech said:

My only concern with a heist is it possibly being too similar to Rogue One.

Meh, shouldn’t be too hard to differentiate the two.  R1 was really more of a military infiltration than a heist, anyway.

Anyone know what Disney’s view on EU canon is?  Do they feel bound to any history regarding Han and Chewie’s backstory?  

7 minutes ago, The Mance said:

Meh, shouldn’t be too hard to differentiate the two.  R1 was really more of a military infiltration than a heist, anyway.

Anyone know what Disney’s view on EU canon is?  Do they feel bound to any history regarding Han and Chewie’s backstory?  

None of the EU stuff is canon.

21 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

None of the EU stuff is canon.

Ooof.  And a million EU purists cried out in rage…

I wonder if Disney will at least try to pay some fan service.  

More accurately, only that EU stuff that they choose to use is canon. But I gather that for various not particular surprising reasons, they're not going to go with origin stories hired freelancers created for the EU books. 

5 minutes ago, The Mance said:

Ooof.  And a million EU purists cried out in rage…

I wonder if Disney will at least try to pay some fan service.  

I mean, the EU has been non-canon since Disney bough it, so most purists have probably had the time to adjust or have left the franchise in disgust. 

They have introduced new versions of some EU material, like Thrawn and stuff like that, so some nods might come through.

Yeah, I really shouldn’t make light of purist rage.  I can still remember the taste of bile in my throat from GoT S2.

I just imagine that some aspects of the EU are held in more regard than others, so Han and Chewie’s history may be more of a sticking point for some.

Visually it looks good. Donald Glover looks good, and Woody Harrelson is usually a welcome addition to any movie. Main guy seems ok, too. My main reservations are for Emilia Clarke.

This might be the first Star Wars without a light-saber wielding, force user in it. I've always felt that the Jedi/Sith or some other representation of them have always been a core component of the Star Wars verse, despite the potential for other stuff, and that's way I'm less enthusiastic about this; that and I really don't think we we needed this film; even less than Rogue One.

But a heist film in the SW verse, directed by Ron Howard, and finally in the summer. Yeah, I'll go watch it.

10 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Visually it looks good. Donald Glover looks good, and Woody Harrelson is usually a welcome addition to any movie. Main guy seems ok, too. My main reservations are for Emilia Clarke.

This might be the first Star Wars without a light-saber wielding, force user in it. I've always felt that the Jedi/Sith or some other representation of them have always been a core component of the Star Wars verse, despite the potential for other stuff, and that's way I'm less enthusiastic about this; that and I really don't think we we needed this film; even less than Rogue One.

But a heist film in the SW verse, directed by Ron Howard, and finally in the summer. Yeah, I'll go watch it.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid

It's funny. All this time (30+ years) I thought Lando was a space pirate like Han, owning and running his own ship. From the trailer, it looks like he is the one financing the operation and owner. Actually, that makes more sense now that I think about it. It only took 38 years to see a different perspective on him.

33 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I've always felt that the Jedi/Sith or some other representation of them have always been a core component of the Star Wars verse, despite the potential for other stuff, and that's way I'm less enthusiastic about this;

I actually really liked the limited attention to the Force that we got in R1.  That there would be non force-using but still semi-religious devotees like Chirrut running around at this point in the SW history was a fitting perspective.  I thought it was a pleasantly organic way of tying the film to the main SW universe, without completely overshadowing the capabilities and heroics of the “mundane” main characters.

And, though I gather he’s not, I wouldn’t even have minded if Chirrut was actually somewhat force sensitive.  There really ought to be all manner of untrained, would-be, Jedi of varying...strength*...scattered about the galaxy, doing who knows what with their unrealized potential.

*I refuse to use the "M" word.

25 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid

Vader made him eat his words on Cloud City.

17 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

It's funny. All this time (30+ years) I thought Lando was a space pirate like Han, owning and running his own ship. From the trailer, it looks like he is the one financing the operation and owner. Actually, that makes more sense now that I think about it. It only took 38 years to see a different perspective on him.

Yeah, do you remember when Han teases Lando about becoming respectable? So, maybe your initial assessment about Lando was correct, but at the same time maybe he always had a taste for the luxurious.

1 minute ago, The Mance said:

I actually really liked the limited attention to the Force that we got in R1.  That there would be non force-using but still semi-religious devotees like Chirrut running around at this point in the SW history was a fitting perspective.  I thought it was a pleasantly organic way of tying the film to the main SW universe, without completely overshadowing the capabilities and heroics of the “mundane” main characters.

And, though I gather he’s not, I wouldn’t even have minded if Chirrut was actually somewhat force sensitive.  There really ought to be all manner of untrained, would-be, Jedi of varying...strength*...scattered about the galaxy, doing who knows what with their unrealized potential.

*I refuse to use the "M" word.

And Vader was in the film, too, so what they did worked enough for that film. I'm just saying that I will always be more interested in the stories that have force users, than in the ones that don't.

9 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

And Vader was in the film, too, so what they did worked enough for that film. I'm just saying that I will always be more interested in the stories that have force users, than in the ones that don't.

And thats totally fair.  I wasn’t so much commenting on your opinion as just voicing my own.  

45 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Yeah, do you remember when Han teases Lando about becoming respectable? So, maybe your initial assessment about Lando was correct, but at the same time maybe he always had a taste for the luxurious.

Well, there's a difference in financing a spice smuggling operation and running a gas mining operation. Gas mining is a more respectable business.

3 hours ago, The Mance said:

Yeah, I really shouldn’t make light of purist rage.  I can still remember the taste of bile in my throat from GoT S2.

I just imagine that some aspects of the EU are held in more regard than others, so Han and Chewie’s history may be more of a sticking point for some.

Not sure how that applies. GOT is a seperate entity from thr books. The SW books were meant to be part of the film continuity.

The Xmas special was taken out of continuity by Lucas before the prequels even came out.

Disney seems to be slowly reintroducing the good parts of the old EU into things. I just read an interview a week or so ago were the guy in charge said they have plans to bring in a few major characters from the OLD EU.

I don;t get why everyone says this has a dark tone, it looks like fun to me.

Archived