What happens to young Wizards who don’t get a Hogwarts acceptance letter?

WarriorWitch

Originally I thought this question was self explanatory

The Quill of Acceptance and the Book of Admittance

[Quote]In fact, the Book's sternness has a purpose: its track record in keeping Squibs out of Hogwarts is perfect. Non-magic children born to witches and wizards occasionally have some small, residual aura of magic about them due to their parents, but once their parents magic has worn off them it becomes clear that they will never have the ability to perform spells. The Quill's sensitivity, coupled with the Book's implacability, have never yet made a mistake.

So there we have it, young Witches and Wizards just don’t get over looked. If you have magical abilities you are accepted into Hogwarts or another Magical School However…

After watching ‘Fantastic Beasts and where to find them’ and then reading the Screenplay I thought Credence  can’t be the only magical child to be over looked by the Ministry of Magic, can he? I mean Grindelwald was convinced that Credence was a Squib which he obviously wasn’t, in fact he would have had to have been a powerful Wizard or the Obscurial he developed would have killed him as a child. So what happened there? If Credence isn’t the only one that has been missed by the magical community then how many have been accidentally missed over the years?

I personally think that there would be a few kids that weren’t accepted into a magic school because we know from the films and books that the Wizarding world system isn’t perfect. (Ex) In the Order of the Phoenix Harry, a teenage boy, is ridiculed by the entire Wizarding World thanks to The Ministry of Magic all because they didn’t want to believe that Voldamort was back. Then in ‘Fantastic Beasts’ we discover that the American part of the Wizarding World is no better, like wanting to put the blame on Newt’s creatures rather than admit that there is an Obscurial loose in the city.

So I reckon if the Ministry of Magic did discover that they missed a kid they would put on their stubborn hats and refuse to recognize them as anything other than a Squib even if they had proof.

So what does happen to the kids that are over looked by the Quill? Do they all develop an Obscurial from surprising their magic trying to fit in with their Muggle friends? Do they become some sort of ‘magic hunters’ scavenging around for any scrap of magic they can find to help them develop their skills?

Any theories?

They're very different series of course, but this is one of the ideas behind 'the Magicians' trilogy. One character goes on a very different life path than her friend after failing to get into wizarding school.

Harry Potter is weird like that in that the world is both so deeply realized and yet, like with most fantasy/sci-fi world building, there's aspects which seem to be weirdly limited given the stakes. See also Star Wars. 

I don't think HP's worldbuilding is deeply realised at all- it's just a series of JK Rowling going 'oh that's a neat idea' and lobbing it in. I don't think there's anything wrong with that approach in a series of whimsy like HP, but it's really a miracle that it hangs together as well as it does.

Mind you, Terry Pratchett developed Discworld out of a similar approach and that ended up hanging together really well, but he did end up having to retcon or awkwardly handwave explanations for several changes he made once he started taking planning a bit more seriously.

17 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Why are there so few schools of Witchcraft and Wizardry around the world.  Only three in Europe and one in the US?

IIRC, every young witch or wizard in the UK gets an invitation to Hogwarts  but they aren't obliged to accept it. They can learn magic at home.  Maybe in most countries, magical schools don't exist at all, and young witches and wizards are taught by their parents, or get apprenticed.

Credence is in America, apparently their system just isn't as accomplished as the British. I don't even think we get an explanation about his background in the film, maybe he wasn't overlooked at all, but his adoptive mother managed to keeep him away to try to prove she can cure the magic out of him.

7 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Why are there so few schools of Witchcraft and Wizardry around the world.  Only three in Europe and one in the US?

That is a good question. But is it ever stated that Hogwarts, Beauxbatons, and Durmstrang are the only ones? I just assume there are others, only the books don't talk about them.

Archived