TitanCon 2017: 8-10 Sept - Belfast

8-10 September 2017

We are back again for TitanCon 2017 with more Fabulous Author guests, more Game of Thrones, more books, more workshops, more events and more awesome times than you can shake a spear at!

Venue

Once again we’ll be in the Wellington Park Hotel, Belfast. The Wellie are offering special room rate deals to TitanCon 2017 attendees at the same prices as last year.

Literature Night

We will be kicking things off on Friday 8 September with our popular Literature Night featuring readings from our author guests. This relaxed and informal gathering is the perfect opportunity to mingle with the other attendees, catch up with old friends or make some new ones. We'll also be offering a preview of our Art Show featuring incredible pieces of art by talented local and international artists available for purchase.

For the first time, we are expanding our Friday plans with some additional Literature Programming taking place on Friday afternoon from 3.00 pm. We understand not everyone will be able to make it in time, but we want to provide more things for early birds to see and do at TitanCon. We hope this proves popular and if that's the case then we may expand the Friday further in 2018.

TitanCon 2017

The convention itself is on Saturday 9 September and will be jam-packed with scintillating programming and events throughout the day. Our doors open at 9.00 am and runs till 6.30 pm, with evening entertainment from 7.30 pm through till 1.00 am. We highly recommend sticking around till late for a rare chance to see some of the Game of Thrones cast members on the dance floor!

Guests

We'll be announcing an exciting line up of amazing author guests within the next few weeks. This will include some of the biggest names in Science-Fiction and Fantasy Literature, along with some of the best new local talent in Northern Ireland.

Because of the constantly changing nature of the production schedule for Game of Thrones we will only be able to announce our full line up of Game of Thrones guests a week or two before the convention. Rest assured that we are working hard to make announcements as soon as we possibly can and we are confident we'll have a great line up on the day. We are committed to not naming guests until we are completely sure that they will be in Belfast on that weekend and available to attend. We would hate to announce someone only for them to drop out when the schedule changes.

Programming

TitanCon 2017 programming will feature discussion panels, interviews, crafting workshops, combat workshops, a crazy-fun quiz, The Great TitanCon Booksale and author signing session, photo sessions with the Game of Thrones guests and of course a signing session.

TitanCon Coach Tour

Tickets for the 2017 Coach Tour on Sunday 10 September are not available for purchase yet because at this time we have not settled on a route. But we expect to announce full details of the 2017 Coach Tour and open ticket sales before the end of June this year.

Sounds great! When can I buy tickets?

Tickets for attendance to TitanCon 2017 cost £28. Tickets go on sale at 12.00 noon (UK time) on Saturday 25 February 2017.

Your confirmation email will include booking codes for the special room rate at the Wellington Park Hotel, so please don't contact the hotel directly until after you have bought your ticket and received the confirmation email.

Supporting Membership

Perhaps you are unable to be at TitanCon 2017 but would still really like to see our convention succeed. Supporting Membership can be bought for just £5 and your greatly appreciated support will help us to continue in 2017 and beyond. Supporting membership can be upgraded to Full Attending Membership at a later date for £23, just in case it turns out you can make it. Supporting Membership also counts towards your Making the Eight number!

Follow us for announcements!

Over the coming months we'll be announcing more details about all aspects of TitanCon 2017 so please check back regularly for news or follow us on Twitter to get the latest updates as they are announced. Also check out our Official Facebook event page or Discussion Forum to get involved in the conversation.

Please see our website at www.titancon.com for more information and to purchase your Membership.

We look forward to seeing you at TitanCon!

• 1 month later...

Got to book my hotel room soon.

I intend to fly directly to Belfast this year. Going to Dublin is somewhat cheaper and there's a direct flight but I can't stand the 2-hour-busride anymore. Not getting younger, I am. :P

ooh it will be fun.   and great to have you.  Its a small, friendly Con, and very relaxed.   This year programing (not just lit night) starts on the friday afternoon for the first time ever.

although If you can only make one trip across the pond in the next few years, I'd suggest waiting till 2019.  there is a really good chance Worldon will be in Dublin   and TitanCon has a bid for EuroCon for the following week.

Of course this don't mean you can't do both.

In other news I have finally booked my room.   Gee I am slacking this year  guess thats what happens when I don't worry over badge number.

I haven't even thought about TitanCon yet. There's a possibility that I might only be able to do one of TitanCon or WorldCon, not both (and a nontrivial possibility I might not be able to do either).

On 30/04/2017 at 0:44 AM, Werthead said:

I haven't even thought about TitanCon yet. There's a possibility that I might only be able to do one of TitanCon or WorldCon, not both (and a nontrivial possibility I might not be able to do either).

What?  well thats just not good enough.     You not coming will be like Malt doing Karaoke without his Brother.

On 02/05/2017 at 6:41 PM, mcbigski said:

OK, just booked flights and memberships.  Going to get hotels booked ASAP.  Looking forward to this!

Awesome.

I think I have to really focus on getting to WorldCon (since that's partly already paid for). At this juncture I think I'll have to say that TitanCon is extremely unlikely, barring some major reversals of financial fortune.

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, SamanthaofHodorsfield said:

How on earth do you milt a melon?

....it is entirely possible I will regret asking that.

Entirely unrelated to milting, however - is there anybody still looking for a roomy for TitanCon? I still haven't booked my hotel, and figured I'd ask.

Well first I identified some female flowers and closed their petal together with a rubber band.  (I want to prevent cross fertilization on a few of my melons as I want the seed.  did this a when the flowers where still in bud.

now they are ready to open.

so find a male flower.   Pick the bugger, and rip off its petals.   Leave the Stamen intact  (the dick)

gently roll the flower stem/bottom of flower between thumb and finger and squeeze a little.  this gets the pollen flowing.  (plant seamen)

find you female flower, remove rubber band and open up the petals (spread its legs) this exposes the Stigma

paint the Stigma with the pollen coated Stamen.

now you could use the same male flower on multiple female flowers, but you will have lots more male than female so no need, so for good measure and to ensure best chance of fertilization.

leave the male flower attached to the female via the sticky pollen on the stamen and now stigma

roll the petals shut and tape the flower closed.     then get a bit of string to mark the stem of your flower so you know which Melon to collect the seeds from.  In a few days the fertilized flower heads will fall off.  and hopefully a baby melon will start to grow.

the reason I use an elastic band   on unfertilized unopened flowers and tape on the fertilized is so I can tell the difference without opening them up and letting the stamen fall out.   Yeah I can also use the string for ID but its not as visible.

Sam  I have a single room booked.   Check in Thurs  depart Mon.    if you like I could try and change that to a twin.  I can't to that for a week though as I will be on holiday.

On 02/06/2017 at 11:41 PM, Pebble said:

Well first I identified some female flowers and closed their petal together with a rubber band.  (I want to prevent cross fertilization on a few of my melons as I want the seed.  did this a when the flowers where still in bud.

now they are ready to open.

so find a male flower.   Pick the bugger, and rip off its petals.   Leave the Stamen intact  (the dick)

gently roll the flower stem/bottom of flower between thumb and finger and squeeze a little.  this gets the pollen flowing.  (plant seamen)

find you female flower, remove rubber band and open up the petals (spread its legs) this exposes the Stigma

paint the Stigma with the pollen coated Stamen.

now you could use the same male flower on multiple female flowers, but you will have lots more male than female so no need, so for good measure and to ensure best chance of fertilization.

leave the male flower attached to the female via the sticky pollen on the stamen and now stigma

roll the petals shut and tape the flower closed.     then get a bit of string to mark the stem of your flower so you know which Melon to collect the seeds from.  In a few days the fertilized flower heads will fall off.  and hopefully a baby melon will start to grow.

the reason I use an elastic band   on unfertilized unopened flowers and tape on the fertilized is so I can tell the difference without opening them up and letting the stamen fall out.   Yeah I can also use the string for ID but its not as visible.

Sam  I have a single room booked.   Check in Thurs  depart Mon.    if you like I could try and change that to a twin.  I can't to that for a week though as I will be on holiday.

......you can get male and female flowers? Obviously I'm now showing that I havent done any sort of biology be it plant or otherwise since highschool, but I thought all the parts were just in one flower?

And if you'd be happy to share, that would be fab; but if you'd prefer a single this year, then don't feel pressured to change. I just figured I would ask before I went ahead and booked a single myself. :)

• 1 month later...
On 02/06/2017 at 11:41 PM, Pebble said:

Firstly, I hope you had a fab holiday! :D

Secondly, did you manage to change to a twin? If not, no worries at all; I'll just get off my arse and organise a booking for myself. :P

Archived