NFL Offseason: your team's opportunity to overpay for mediocrity

DanteGabriel

The compensatory draft picks got released today. Something like 11 extra third-round picks. Seems like a lot of teams got raided in free agency last year without bringing in many new guys.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/24/eleven-teams-get-compensatory-third-round-picks/

Also fielding suggestions for clever thread titles. I almost went with "Who's going home with Handsome Jimmy?" but chose to avoid the Pats-centric title.

6 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

The compensatory draft picks got released today. Something like 11 extra third-round picks. Seems like a lot of teams got raided in free agency last year without bringing in many new guys.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/24/eleven-teams-get-compensatory-third-round-picks/

My God!  The Niners now have an extra fourth round pick!  Without Baalke around to take a DB/WR with an ACL injury there, I have no idea what they will do!

2 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

It's a poignant note to me that the 49ers talent exodus was so weird and varied in form that it (probably the greatest we have seen) goes out with a 4th round whimper.

Does bring a tear to the eye.  We had been getting some comp picks in previous drafts too though.

Interestingly, I just read on another site that comp picks are eligible to be traded this year.  Usually you have to actually use them.  :dunno: 

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

Its 70 degrees and sunny out today... but I gots work to do woman!  So just do what Famous Jameis told you and sit there quietly while we have some man talk.

Firm, yet reassuring. 

Also, I hope they got the shot they wanted on the first take. That smack had a real crack to it. 

19 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Wow... and I just saw that the Browns have two firsts, seconds and thirds as well as three fourths and two fifths.  That's a ton of opportunity to waste picks! 

The extra third, I believe, should be going to New England for Jamie Collins (because of course Belichick will be the first to take advantage of tradeable compensatory picks). And maybe more, if Hue Jackson decides he likes the look of Handsome Jimmy.

3 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Manhole, there just has to be a way you can translate meme facility into a lucrative career.

I swear I'm cursed. I have a brain that's geared for trivial pop culture references. God knows I've tried to come up with a way to market my talent, but I guess I'm just not creative enough (or industrious enough) to make it pay.

22 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I swear I'm cursed. I have a brain that's geared for trivial pop culture references. God knows I've tried to come up with a way to market my talent, but I guess I'm just not creative enough (or industrious enough) to make it pay.

Bar trivia.  My team drinks for free most weeks (not thanks to me.  I'm not pop culture savvy, although I bring some history/military and science now that we lost our physical therapist friend.

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Handsome Jimmy would like to get to know you?

Nah, I'll keep Handsome Jimmy out of it. I almost went with "Arthur Blank is still waiting on the sideline" but thought that might be too cruel.

Well the Steelers are throwing some cash around today. 4 year, $68 million extension for AB and franchise tag for Bell. I do like that the length of AB's deal is only 4 years, and not one of those 6 or 7 year deals that leave a nightmare cap scenario down the road.

45 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Well the Steelers are throwing some cash around today. 4 year, $68 million extension for AB and franchise tag for Bell. I do like that the length of AB's deal is only 4 years, and not one of those 6 or 7 year deals that leave a nightmare cap scenario down the road.

That's the biggest WR contract in history, right?

Archived