NFL Offseason: your team's opportunity to overpay for mediocrity

DanteGabriel

So much Romo drama. Denver makes sense as they have a great D and offensive weapons in Sanders and Thomas. The big con I see in Denver is the division they play in. Potentially 3 teams battling for the playoffs. Raiders are gonna be the same if not better next year, and the Chiefs are a good squad. Denver was the odd man out this year in that scenario.

If I'm Romo, I'm looking at the texans. Good D with a couple studs on it. The offense has Hopkins and Fuller whom is not a bad complimentary piece. Miller had a decent season. The big thing is the AFC South is the worst division in the NFL so playoffs are almost guaranteed. Yeah, Titans are getting better, Colts, well.... eh, and the Jags have Blake Bortles, so yeah... pretty much guaranteed.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's still not comparable to the 49er's collapse. Actually, I'm not sure that I've ever seen anything that is.....

Jaime, Maith, thanks for your recollections. At least I know it's real. 

Ty, yeah it's pretty unusual. I mean, for a couple years we were dominant, we'd routinely lead the league in Pro-Bowl/All-Pro and those 100 best things, and the best part was that we were mostly young/early prime. With an acknowledged game-changing coach. The future seemed limitless, even after another giant emerged in Seattle. The OL was the best in the game, loaded with young studs. The front 7 was the best, with the LB corps being mentioned as possibly goat and a pass rusher off to the best start in NFL history. Backfield was loaded, QB of the future, the most athletic TE in the game, secondary full of playmakers and the wr, always our weak spot, still had reasonable talent and solid vets. It didn't look like anything could go wrong enough to impact that much talent.

Then, in a blink, there was turmoil and it was slipping away...then an avalanche, and it was all gone.

Only pro sports equivalent I've heard of that comes close was the early Twin Tower  Houston Rockets. Back to back top overall pick franchise centres (so talented that they changed the way the draft worked) as well as former 1st overall pick guard John Lucas and a talented cast in the backcourt, young all star SF Rodney McCray. The Sporting News had a cover page story quoting NBA execs thinking they might break the sport, wondering if something shouldn't be done to break them up and by Olajuwon's second season they beat the Showtime Lakers in the western Conference Championship and were going toe to toe with the best of the Bird/McHale/Parrish Celtics until Sampson blows out his knee in the Finals, Olajuwon's suspended for a Finals game and the Celtics win in game 6. Still, it was a hell of a debut and Celtics coach KC Jones called them the 'new monsters on the block' and predicted they'd make the Finals their home in the years to come.

Then in the offseason everything went wrong. Sampson's knee was much worse than initially thought, and he'd never recover his agility and strength and would be plagued by knee issues for the rest of his career. Lucas, Wiggins and Lloyd all tested positive for cocaine and were banished from the league in the biggest drug scandal pro sports had ever seen, and the backcourt of a Finals team lost it's top 3 players. Sampson would soon be traded and the rest of Olajuwon's athletic prime would be spent surrounded by terrible players and crap coaches, with guys like Vernon Maxwell and Joe Barely Cares as his 'second Stars' (often taking even more shots than Olajuwon) and it wasn't until his mid 30's when the Rockets assembled a solid group of role players around him and a coach would insist the offence ran through him that he'd make it back to the Finals, a decade since his sophomore triumph. 

That's only comparison I can think of. 

2 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

And Robert Woods to the Rams for $15M guaranteed. My god are they overpaying for mediocrity today... Doesn't that phrase sound familiar? ^

It sure looks like a good decision having signed AB before today. If he saw middle of the road WR's getting $8-9 mil per year, the Steelers would've probably had to shell out even more for him.

And as for Kaep, NFL Network are in awe that there's no movement on him yet. I think people forget that he played on a dominant team for a couple years and took advantage of it. Best D in the league when they had Pat Willis in his prime, Bowman, Justin and Aldon Smith (pre-insanity), one of the best O-lines in the league, a productive Boldin, Crabtree, Vernon Davis, and Frank Gore. Any surprise that the guy had a couple good years? Kudos to him because it made him a lot of money but he's nothing without a ton of talent around him. Now add in the kneeling down drama and he's absolutely unwanted. Not a shocking story. 

2 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

It sure looks like a good decision having signed AB before today. If he saw middle of the road WR's getting $8-9 mil per year, the Steelers would've probably had to shell out even more for him.

Ha yeah you're probably right. It's deals like Woods that makes me glad that we're dormant on FA.

Bouye and Calais Campbell to the Jags. If I knew nothing about football and looked at this team's Madden player ratings I'd say they should make it to the Super Bowl.

3 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

And as for Kaep, NFL Network are in awe that there's no movement on him yet. I think people forget that he played on a dominant team for a couple years and took advantage of it. Best D in the league when they had Pat Willis in his prime, Bowman, Justin and Aldon Smith (pre-insanity), one of the best O-lines in the league, a productive Boldin, Crabtree, Vernon Davis, and Frank Gore. Any surprise that the guy had a couple good years? Kudos to him because it made him a lot of money but he's nothing without a ton of talent around him. Now add in the kneeling down drama and he's absolutely unwanted. Not a shocking story. 

True, but he carried that team for the last 1/3 season and playoffs of the SB year. Justin Smith was injured, Aldon had his issues, and Gore couldn't get it going, Crabtree was in/out with foot issues, Vernon had hammy trouble and everyone seemed worn down. The defense was giving up like double the season average or more and Kaep really took the team on his shoulders down the stretch. I think people have forgotten that. 

29 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Looks like this has changed...

Despite the two teams (Texans and Broncos) stating they aren't looking to give up anything to land Romo. Mike Silver on the NFL Network just said Sean Spicer must be putting out the Romo announcements due to how much they've changed in the last 24 hours :lmao:.

I didn't believe it either but it's getting traction;

That PFT article touched on my biggest issue: a trade puts them more on the hook for dead money. So it would have to be better than a late round pick to justify it. Would either team be willing to give up say a 4th? Or even a 3rd? I'd lean more towards the Cowboys putting this out and trying to get a team to bite than it being legit. I've been wrong before, though. 

eta: HOLY SHIT...NOW I'm starting to believe it.

1 minute ago, JonSnow4President said:

Browns just traded for B.O, proving once again that the Browns are gonna Brown and making the Texans legit competitors for Romo's services. 

Maybe a 4th or 5th this year and a conditional pick next season depending on how far Houston goes this year?

If the trade really is BO and a 2nd rounder for nothing (or from some benchwarmer just to make it a "trade"), then that is a truly awesome deal the Browns just pulled off.  That sort of thing is common in the NBA, but I can't ever remember a team trading away draft picks to dump a bad contract.  Does anyone else remember something like this ever happening?

This Osweiler trade is too big and weird for me to understand (ironically, he said the same thing about the Texans' playbook).

Does taking on a terrible contract for a bad QB make the Browns more or less likely to deal for Garoppolo?

In any case, good for Bill O'Brien.

Looks like the this is all set up to make a play for Romo in Houston. 

14 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

True, but he carried that team for the last 1/3 season and playoffs of the SB year. Justin Smith was injured, Aldon had his issues, and Gore couldn't get it going, Crabtree was in/out with foot issues, Vernon had hammy trouble and everyone seemed worn down. The defense was giving up like double the season average or more and Kaep really took the team on his shoulders down the stretch. I think people have forgotten that. 

Fair point. He was a monster for a couple seasons, especially the SB year. That just faded out very quickly. I'd be intrigued if Cousins went to SF. Doesn't look like he'll get his wish though.

I don't think this trade is as bad for the Browns as people are reacting to. They get picks to take the contract but according to Adam Schefter they aren't committed to him. 

2 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

If the trade really is BO and a 2nd rounder for nothing (or from some benchwarmer just to make it a "trade"), then that is a truly awesome deal the Browns just pulled off.  That sort of thing is common in the NBA, but I can't ever remember a team trading away draft picks to dump a bad contract.  Does anyone else remember something like this ever happening?

Guys on Chicago radio just mentioned this, too. They didnt think so.

8 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

Browns just traded for B.O, proving once again that the Browns are gonna Brown and making the Texans legit competitors for Romo's services. 

They got a second rounder for taking on Brock's contract.  They have a hundred million in cap space.  I think it's a great move for them.  They clearly did it for the second round pick.

2 minutes ago, briantw said:

They got a second rounder for taking on Brock's contract.  They have a hundred million in cap space.  I think it's a great move for them.  They clearly did it for the second round pick.

Yep.

Archived